www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Cloverfield

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TKThor
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:20 pm    Post subject: Cloverfield Reply with quote

I made a post a few months ago on this movie and now that I've seen it, I thought I'd plug it a little.

This movie will be great for anymore who is a true fan of the monster movie genre. The monster is pretty narly. And the scope of the movie is huge. So I was in.

The monster itself looks like a mix between a large crab/lobster thing of some kind with very long front arms and many legs, its head is some what like the Rancor in Return of the Jedi, but with large teeth and air sacks on the side of it head. It has a large tail, big enough to snap the Brooklyn Bride in half like a toothpick. Its skin is kinda like the underbelly of a fish. And it is freakn massive. Aside from ripping the head off the Statue of Liberty and tossing it across town to its "Escape from New York" resting place. This thing knocks down the Chrysler building as if it were a trash can.

The monster also drops these little bug-like creatures from its underside, that look like something out of Starship Troopers. And when people are bitten by this things it ain't pretty.

A lot of people instantly compare this movie to the Blair Witch Project, which is just insulting. They are worlds apart. Aside from having a 30 million dollar budget, this movie has a good subplot about a boy and girl and all that good stuff. The movie is really about a rescue mission, of the young guy trying to reach and rescue his love, who may be dying. So plenty of human drama to keep anybody happy.

The best friend Hudson or "Hud" as you hear him called, is the camera man for most of the movie and provides all the comic relief. Until he is no more.

The camera work is of course handy-cam style, since the concept of the movie is that you are viewing a tape from someone's camera found at the site that recorded these events. But, if you are one of the those people that gets sick watching handheld footage this movie is probably not for you. This movie is of course different than watching Uncle Hank's birthday video, first theres a massive CGI monster running around. Theres of course a professional audio mix, so it doesn't sound like a handy-cam, but no score except for music heard during the party scene and the end credits track called "Roar!" -very Godzilla inspired of course.

And its interesting from an editing stand point, where do the cuts take place? When the tape gos to black of course, but that means the takes had to be carefully planned out, staged and rehearsed then played out like a stage play. So the takes were all or nothing it seems. kinda cool compared to the average movie. Reminds me of the first part of Halloween. Which there are actually three cuts there, but it seems seamless.

If you don't love monster movies and can handle handy-cam footage and don't just write the movie off as a gimmick. Then this movie won't do anything for you. Same if your movie diet consists of political thrillers and "based on a true story" junk. Don't worry "Vantage Point" comes out soon.

But if you have an imagination and love movies that are larger than life. Go see this, unless it turns into a franchise. Another movie like this probably won't turn up anytime soon.

And in last scene, when the couple is on Coney Island, watch in the distance and you'll see what a pod like thing splash into the ocean. Its been said its a downed Japanese satellite. No one knows how this will play into future revelations about the monsters origin. But I believe JJ Abrams has said that the monster is not from space. Thats its been in the ocean for a long time and has now surfaced. Who knows.

But check it out!

I got to meet Ray Park a couple of weeks ago at a comic book convention. Nice guy, can't wait to see him play Snake Eyes in the GI Joe movie.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: