www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
2 $200 AKs Slowly Coming Together
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clint F.
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:00 am    Post subject: 2 $200 AKs Slowly Coming Together Reply with quote

Well, I finally decided to take the plunge and have started work on 2 semi-auto AK-47s.

I went with a pair of rusty $90 Romanian kits from Centerfire Systems.

I've ordered Tapco G2 double hook trigger groups for them and will be building them on NoDakSpud recievers. To keep them legal, I'm also adding new U.S. made flashhiders and pistol grips.

For the most part they will be kept mil-spec, except for the muzzle devices. One will use a M-16 style "birdcage" flashhider, while the other will use the big AK-74 style.

The kits as delivered:

The altered, sanded, and re-stained stocks:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Clint F.
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The G2 trigger groups and the flashhiders arrived today.

I couldn't help but go ahead and install the flashhiders.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Say, those are coming along nicely. Do you plan to paint or parkerize the metal when you are done? The stocks looked bad at first but once stripped and refinished turned out great. Looks like some pitting around the barrel, just forward of the hand guard catch, can anything be done to cover over that, or do you plan to just leave it alone for that 'battlefield pick-up' look?

Looks like you are on your way, and I really like the AK74 compensator. Are you going to tung oil the stocks or urethane them?

Looks like a fun project. I can't wait shoot one!

Jim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Clint F.
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Yeah, I plan on painting them with that engine paint, once I've sandblasted the really stubborn rust off. I could fix the pits with a shot of weld, but only the one I'm making for myself (the lower one) has that problem really. I'm sort of going for the battlefield pickup look, so it's no biggie.

I've bought a can of tung oil to use on the stocks. On mine, I'm also going to be replacing the top handguard with a perforated metal one eventually, in the hope that it will dissipate heat better.

Last edited by Clint F. on Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:29 am; edited 1 time in total
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you decide to upgrade the hand guard, you might want consider these:

http://www.ifatactical.com/page/1000008

Just a thought.

On the military stocks I've refinished with tung oil, I paint it on. Let it soak 15 minutes, and wipe it off. Repeat until you have at least 4-5 coats, more if you want a thicker shiny finish. That stuff is great, and if it gets scratched up, just add more.

Jim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Clint F.
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, those look pretty nice.

I'm going for a bit of an oddball idea for mine. I'm going to get different kinds of handguards/stocks and whatnot, so that I can change it's look on a whim. The basic idea, as I'd told a buddy of mine (whom I'm building the other rifle for) was I want to make it so that it can look either like it had been picked up off a battlefield, or had been riding around on the passsenger seat of Mad Max's interceptor.

I'm kindof partial to this upper handguard
http://www.copesdistributing.net/product_info.php?cPath=32_34&products_id=523
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, those fiberforce handguards I got from CDNN or Centerfire, I can't remember, but they were a whopping $12!

LOL, hey thats one fun thing about these guns, you can dress them up as you want, to change their looks. Pretty cool.

Right now, I'm thinking about adding a Tapco adjustable stock to my 'old rusty'. $44 is about as cheap as I can find plus shipping.

Jim
Clint F.
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the last of the small parts arrived today... rivets and mounting plates for the triggers. All that's left now are the NoDak Spud receivers, which will probably come in next week.
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM Sent.
Clint F.
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are finally ready. I had some final finishing and magazine well work to do, but now they're all done.

jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They sure look the business. Nice job! I see you did the front hand guards a bit differently. Any particular reason?

Jim
TK 109
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

those are nice, very well done. Smile

-------------------------------------------------------

Clint F.
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys. Thanks. I had a ball making them.

The handguards are a little bit different mainly because after I cut off those horrible front grips at the same time, then did the individual shaping, and by the time I finished with the first one (the one on the right) I was pretty worn out... Didn't have a bandsaw or one of those nice belt sanders to make my life easier. So the other one got a little less attention in the shaping department.

But it's cool, since that bulge actually makes it kinda comfortable. Sort of fits the palm better.
tubachris85x
Master

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job. I fine these somewhat fun to take to the range, however, when I shoot one of these, I feel like its almost "chaotic" as me and another friend decided to describe it. Its just the way the recoil is, and trying to aim with it. I find that an SKS is a much easier weapon to handle though..

However, my favorite rifle is the Russian Carbine Mosin. Nothing feels better then popping off the first shot at the range with one, and everyone looking over going, "WTF was that??"
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes, the Mosin-Nagant carbine. I love those. One of them is on my "To buy" list.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Weapons Locker All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: