www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Tools for shaping wood into forms

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
badger
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:39 pm    Post subject: Tools for shaping wood into forms Reply with quote

One thing I like about this forum is that a lot of you guys like to make wood masters for vac forming. I'm a big fan of it, and I try to avoid plaster.

So, what do you guys use when shaping the wood? What tools are best for "hogging" out the big chunks, removing the big areas before fine tuning? What's a good way to get nice smooth curves, for something like shoulder bells and stuff?

badger
badger
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, and what type of wood do you start with, and how do you finish/seal it when you're done?
tubachris85x
Master

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its been said before, but I think the common wood, or wood composite rather, is call MDF (Medium Density Fiberboard). Unlike typical wood, it does not splinter (too my knowledge) and is a good wood to work with for this type of thing.

As for tools, I personally use a jigg-saw to cut the shapes, sometimes a circular saw (rarely), I have a hand held belt sander, as well as a much smaller Mouse sander. I will also use metal wood files for various things I might need something small for.

As for a sealer, Ive only used it once for a normal grain type of wood, but Im sure it works with MDF as well. I picked up a can of a material for wood, I dont know the name, but it was labled as "sanding sealer," and it comes in a can, and you have to brush it on in layers, sanding a bit between coats. It leaves a look of a laquor or a nice finish after its applied.

Last edited by tubachris85x on Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
tubachris85x
Master

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its been said before, but I think the common wood, or wood composite rather, is call MDF (Medium Density Fiberboard). Unlike typical wood, it does not splinter (too my knowledge) and is a good wood to work with for this type of thing.

As for tools, I personally use a jigg-saw to cut the shapes, sometimes a circular saw (rarely), I have a hand held belt sander, as well as a much smaller Mouse sander. I will also use metal wood files for various things I might need something small for.

As for a sealer, Ive only used it once for a normal grain type of wood, but Im sure it works with MDF as well. I picked up a can of a material for wood, I dont know the name, but it was labled as "sanding sealer," and it comes in a can, and you have to brush it on in layers, sanding a bit between coats. It leaves a look of a laquor or a nice finish after its applied.
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MDF is easy to sand down and work with. I use a belt/disc sander alot, also a band saw. I think my favorite tool is an angle grinder with this wood sanding head

as far as sealing, i have only used wood primer on my molds.

CJ
LaughingCheese
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like to over complicate things you could build a CNC router... Very Happy

(Which I plan on doing... Cool Wink)
badger
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CJanssen wrote:
MDF is easy to sand down and work with. I use a belt/disc sander alot, also a band saw. I think my favorite tool is an angle grinder with this wood sanding head

CJ

I bought one of those the other day, but I have yet to try it out. Glad to hear it's a useful one.

Is it good for "hogging" out large areas? or more for refining the shape?

badger
cod
Master

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stanley Sure-forms, flat and round are always nice to have on-hand for many things wood-like
DarthVader1
Expert

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

badger wrote:
CJanssen wrote:

CJ

I bought one of those the other day, but I have yet to try it out. Glad to hear it's a useful one.

Is it good for "hogging" out large areas? or more for refining the shape?

badger

Me too. I bought one of these from the local WALMART when I saw it, and I believe they will do a heck of a good job with the MDF.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: