www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Darktrooper Progress thread (Pic intensive!)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 22, 23, 24  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Costumes & Equipment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tubachris85x
Master

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TK 109 wrote:
nice!

i have to say, the main thing i see that you would have to do is re-do the mouth. that's it, really. everything else is ok.

these little changes in the bucket will be fascinating to see. those little changes in the facial features jut make the character and armor much meaner and more defined. i CAN'T WAIT to see this helmet when it's finished! Very Happy

keep us posted... Very Happy

Thanks bro!

I have to comment though about the helmet situation right now. Since I last posted about the helmet, I had put the MDF buck on a large PVC pipe so that I would be able to have it stand to work on it. However, Ive come to a realization; the buck itsself is just too short horizontally.

One of the reasons for that is I had made that buck long before I had any really good reference. Other than that, Im not going to really be able to attach the ABS face piece/Dome to the buck itself. To be honest, Im not really sure how Im going to go about this.

The helmet itself is being built based on the FX. The FX itself is already about a foot long (measuring it from mouth to back) In order for me to make the DT look proportional with the correct swoop length and shape, its going to be somewhere around 2ft in length alone....In other words, and freaking huge helmet.

Right now, Im leaning towards starting over completly, despite the amount of work I put into shaping that buck (I know, it sucks having spent all those nights for hours on end Sad ) Im thinking about just getting a maniquin head, and just throw a crap load of clay on and start shaping and sculpting (something Ive never done before!) But the only things I would use from the FX helmet, is I would keep the dome, because its the correct shape, the ears and the ear details.

So thats whats going on in regards to the helmet situation. Either way, Im going to start this summer
Master

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*notice: I havent updated this thread as much as the others, but I was able to get a pepakura model made from the 3d model I have from the game. Its a papercraft that allows you to construct objects out of paper (most popular with the halo costumers) Im considering using this as a base to add and sculpt in clay, the details.*

Alright, well here's the results of my boredom over a 24 hour period. I spent probably 9 hours total cutting/buiding this. Again, this is my first time ever doing this papercraft. I used just the materials I had available, none that I would want to use really. Just regular printing paper, and a large roll of white duck tape. I would have wanted to use cardstock/firmer paper and either a glue stick or elmer's glue, but had neither.

Okay, this was also just for practice and to guage and evaluate what Im going to do with it. Its NOT PERFECT NOR A FINAL PIECE! For the record, this thing is massive and can comfortably fit a basketball in it's dome perfectly.

Now to the pics. I took a sharpy to it so you get an idea of what everything on this mess is. (NOTE: young children and people with severe heart problems should avoid looking at all costs!)

The right side mouth appears narrower, but thats due to the sharpy

I think the overall shape came out alright, I definatly will make a second one which I will *attempt* to make cleaner and no tape, just glue.

From this, Im starting to consider that I may be able to try using it as a base again, I would just need to FG the inside, but Im considering even making a plaster mold of it and casting it in bondo or resin, so that I can work with a solid mass, but Im not sure yet. So thats whats going on right now. Thanks

-tubachris
(Sweet....I made the first known Pep DT helmet..rofl)
Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That papercraft stuff is very intriguing. I'm seeing some really amazing stuff being done with it.
tubachris85x
Master

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, its really interesting being able to make a computer model in reality using paper

Here's my potential new take on doing this...

I would build a second, much better quality version of the helmet, but in three sectionsl face, dome, and back. I would fibrglass each independantly, and then attach all the sections together.

Using the fiberglass to keep it rigid and strong, I would then fill the entire interior with expanding foam. If the foam is hard enough, I will attach it as is, to an armature, for which I can apply clay to smooth it out and scupt/sdd details.

And then mold and cast!

Is sounds like it should work
Expert

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude. That is awsome! I wish I had heard about this before. This will help me with my project lots! You have some some wonderful work! I can't wait to see as yours moves along.
TK 109
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree, VERY cool. Very Happy

-------------------------------------------------------

tubachris85x
Master

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. I hope it helps some people with something they may need.

Okay then, I went by wally mart just now...

I picked up some card stock, which is much fimer paper for me to use to make the version 2 DT pep helmet which I will use as the base of the final helmet. Got some elmer's glue as well, all the people on the 405th claim that its the best thing to use..which most of them all are using this pepakura method of construction, so I wont argue.

I also picked up some expanding foam that I saw. Its called "Great stuff," and is meant for sealing/filling. Im going to test it before attempting anything so I know what to expect.

All Im waiting for now to continue with the project is some ink for my printer. It will cost me almost 100 just for that, which is rediculous! Im going to need it for my classes as well, but I dont know when I will actually get it.

So thats it for now. Keeping the helmet the same size, and just need to build the second one. Im thinking of building most of it together already, and then cutting the three parts, and then fiberglassing them, and re-attach them again. Not sure. Thanks
Expert

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"GREAT STUFF"....use little by little and taking your time, since it has properties of expanding BIG TIME (within 24 hours of application), and could blow your project if you're not carefull. Use just a bit on something, just to give you an idea of how much will it expand according to application and use. It will definitely stick to ANYTHING.

It's great as a sealant, but don't fill your jetpack with it (to the point of FILLING IT UP COMPLETELY), it will become HEAVY. Just cover the corners with it where you want it, and you'll be good to go. I have a fiberglass Boba Fett Jetpack that I filled COMPLETELY with "GREAT STUFF" about 5 years ago.....and I wish I could go back in time to undo what I did. Confused

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
tubachris85x
Master

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarthVader1 wrote:
"GREAT STUFF"....use little by little and taking your time, since it has properties of expanding BIG TIME (within 24 hours of application), and could blow your project if you're not carefull. Use just a bit on something, just to give you an idea of how much will it expand according to application and use. It will definitely stick to ANYTHING.

It's great as a sealant, but don't fill your jetpack with it (to the point of FILLING IT UP COMPLETELY), it will become HEAVY. Just cover the corners with it where you want it, and you'll be good to go. I have a fiberglass Boba Fett Jetpack that I filled COMPLETELY with "GREAT STUFF" about 5 years ago.....and I wish I could go back in time to undo what I did. Confused

Thanks for the tip on the foam. LOL I dont think I will be planning on filling my entire JJP with it. Good idea about applying it in the corners, I may do that now, and sorry to hear about that boba JP!

Well I began construction of the version two pep helmet and got most of it done tonight. I was going to make into sections so that I could just fiberglass and then attach. However, being that it is paper that is folded and that each must fit correctly, and be properly shaped, I fear that if I fiberglass it before attatching, that some folds wont be the proper shape, and will not fit correctly.

I will say, that the two biggist pains in the a$$ has been completing the dome and then attaching the incredibly thin brow, as well as holding the whole weight of the face. It does look alot better then the first one, by far. Just a matter of attaching the rest of it together at this point. Then I will fiberglass it, starting with the dome, and up.

Will post pics upon finishing-which I dont know when the next time I will have enough time to do so. Thanks

-tubachris
Master

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, the base for the final helmet is finished. Not 100% perfect by any means, but it is 100% better then the POS version one. Just the next step is fiberglassing and filling with expanding foam. I'll let the pics speak for themselves..

BTW, in the top two pics, if you didnt notice, its actually sitting over the MR clone helmet...

Enjoy

-tubachris
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice... gotta see the final mold, it's gonna be CRAZY! Very Happy

-------------------------------------------------------

Jeprachaun

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The project is coming along really well. Looks great. Can't wait to see the finished product!

O'Malley
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
tubachris85x
Master

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeprachaun wrote:
The project is coming along really well. Looks great. Can't wait to see the finished product!

O'Malley

Thanks bro. Its going alright I guess right now. I began fiberglassing it last week, but I feel that I had added too much resin. What I tried, was just adding matt to the dome section, and just resined the rest of it. However, that didnt work that well, because the just resined parts didnt harded, but just remained as it was, but the matted portion hardened, but took awhile, because I think there was more resin then the matt could soak.

So today, Im taking it slow, and in sections a day. I started fiberglassing the rest of the inner dome portion, up to the beginning of the swoop. I feel that I added the proper amount of resin this time, its all still practice for me! Just waiting to finish this all up with the fiberglassing, and then I can continue with using expanding foam to fill it.

Im am also letting you guys know that I may not be able to finish the helmet before summer because I have joined a group of others here locally, to put together Rebel Fleet troopers, using Jim's very own helmet kits! So I may have to wait a bit, because of the cost of silicone especially, and this group project is for dragon con, which Im going to for the first time!

-TC
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your fiberglass is not hardening, then you might not be adding enough catalyst. You need the fiberglass to add structural strength to the surface. The resin by itself is not enough to hold the shape (unless you glop it on extra thick). The glass fibers, crystallized in the resin is what actually provides the strength in fiberglass.

Using lighter fiberglass cloth can help save weight, as well as not glopping on the resin too thick.

You are using a respirator and ventilation, right?!?

I've recently seen a few friends have to quit their hobby because of breathing problems, so be sure to use proper protection!

Charlie
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
DarthVader1
Expert

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crashmann wrote:
If your fiberglass is not hardening, then you might not be adding enough catalyst.

That's what I though and came to my mind first when I've read the statement.

crashmann wrote:
You are using a respirator and ventilation, right?!?

I've recently seen a few friends have to quit their hobby because of breathing problems, so be sure to use proper protection!

Not just a respirator mask, but also eye protection. Microscopic glass particles could fly in the air and fall in your eyes, it happens when cutting the fiberglass cloth.

I am familiar with the last few postings, since I worked with fiberglass when I was doing my Boba Fett Jetpack 5 years ago, and I remember I ran into the very same issue as Tubachris....I didn't add enough catalyst to the resin, and to make it hard was a pain in the arse. Just learned from experience.

Good points, Charlie!

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Costumes & Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 17 of 24

Jump to: