www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
PLASTER CASTINGS for Vacuuforming
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crashmann
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using HydroStone for the past two years and it's been working great! Mix it 3 parts plaster to 1 part water by weight.

I've had great results with it picking up surface details, and have only crushed one mold - a huge clone trooper chest piece that was partially hollow, and it split in one area.

Again, 90° corners will eventually chip, but Kilroy should be fine.

I drive to a place in Baltimore 45 minutes away to pick up my HydroStone in 100 pound bags.

Charlie

Last edited by crashmann on Thu May 22, 2008 1:51 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
DarthVader1
Expert

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crashmann wrote:
I've been using HydroStone for the past two years and it's been working great! Mix it 3 parts plaster to 1 part water by weight.

I've had great results with it picking up surface details, and have only crushed one mold - a huge clone trooper chest piece that was partially hollow, and it split in one area.

Again, 90° corners will eventually chip, but Mr. Roboto's face should be fine.

I drive to a place in Baltimore 45 minutes away to pick up my HydroStone in 100 pound bags.

Charlie

Thanks Charlie for the info. Now I have THREE questions:

1. How did you hollow the casting you did before?
My assumption is using a dremmel tool....or at least that's what I thought of using, since I am planning on drilling holes in some areas, namely the mouth and eyes area to obtain higher quality details when vacuuforming the mask

2. What's the average price for the 100# bag?

3. Do they come in 50# also?

Just to expect a price tag and not be surprised. Shocked

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
crashmann
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To hollow out the mold, I inflated 4 balloons and had them at the ready. I mixed and poured the plaster into the mold, then held the balloons in place until the plaster turned to rock (less than 10 minutes)

Here's the clone trooper torso made using a similar technique:
http://tk386.com/clone_torso/

After the plaster cured, I smoothed out the cavity with a spatula and a rasp.

I have been paying $60 for 100 pounds of HydroStone

Your supplier will be able to tell you about the 50 pound bag availability. My place has a big warehouse and actually supplies contractors doing large jobs.

Your mileage may vary Smile

Charlie
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
DarthVader1
Expert

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Charlie.

Balloons......, huh! I've never thought about that one. I was considering using a round, half-moon shaped plastic bowl for that matter that gave me the idea for the right size and proportion....just equivalent to one balloon (and I have one that I've just confiscated from my wife's cabinet few days ago....and no, she doesn't know it yet! LOL). Razz

I will post progress pics soon (In the SECRET-SECRET topic, under the Costuming Tips section), as soon as I get the HydroStone and start working with it. Thanks again.

PS: And don't mention any names about this project....SHHHHHH....it's supposed to be a "SECRET-SECRET" project. Wink Razz

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
cod
Master

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarthVader1 wrote:
Thanks Charlie.

I was considering using a round, half-moon shaped plastic bowl for that matter that gave me the idea for the right size and proportion...

I went to the dollar store and bought some big plastic bowls and pushed them into wet ultracal - saved a lot of material/ cut down weight. and the cheap plastic wont stick to anything AND can be used for mixing ! how's that for multi-tasking Wink also forms a natural 'arch ' shape which is very strong.
chefhawk
Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant money saving tips

So clever and so simple and also cheap!

Thanks for the heads up guys.

cheers
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used coffee cans and tupperware bowls to save on the plaster. Another thing you can use is Rockite. It's a type of anchoring cement. Sets really fast, and is really strong. Any sort of anchoring cement will do, as it will not shrink when it cures. You can also mix plaster of paris with portland cement in different ratios to get different hardnesses.

Jim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
DarthVader1
Expert

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cod and Jegner: just precisely my idea...to save in material costs. Also THANKS CRASHMANN for the BIG tip. Very Happy

Well, I got the best of anything.....OVER 50 POUNDS of HydroStone left from an already-opened 100 pounds bag (the scale stopped at the 55# mark, but could be 60# or more), with a local ceramics maker/supplier, which I didn't have to pay for shipping cost from someone else! YEEEEYYYYYYYYYYY!!! I even seen examples of comparison between that and another brand of plaster, which is also another plus, and let you know how your molds or casting will look like afterwards....and DEFINITELY is a BIG DIFFERENCE! Shocked

And the best of all: total price...... about $24, plus tax.

I will be posting pics soon on the "SECRET-SECRET" thread under the Costuming section.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: