www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
ABS vs. HIPs
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TK161

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking about putting some vents on my molds. That would probably help pull the abs a little tighter. I'll have to give it a try. I've been thinking of going to the vacuum pump and tank, so I might do that soon.
TK161

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my order of HIPS Friday so I spent the weekend forming. I seem to have just as good of pulls from the ABS as I do the HIPS. I had a couple of decent pulls with the HIPS but when I removed it from the mold they ripped. Removing the plastic from the mold is a mother. I was forming a dome for my snowtrooper helmet and it was really tough getting the plastic off. I'm not getting as tight of pulls as I want to though so I think I'm going to have to go with the vacuum pump system. What size droop should I be using for the HIPS? I tried a few different sizes and I kind of get a texture on the plastic like a bunch of small holes or something. I know with the ABS I've been using 6" with decent results. Bottom line is I think I need some more practice with the HIPS. Another question is the HIPS doesn't have that glossy shine like the ABS. What is everybody doing to get the shine with the HIPS?

Thanks,
Randy
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had better luck with the HIPS personally, but stuff like helmets and the like are the hardest parts to pull. The trick is to remove the molds before the plastic is 100% cool. Still warm.

As for the stick. Use some baby power on your molds.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
TK161

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baby powder!! I didn't think of that. I was going to grease them up a bit with vaseline. Thanks for the tip.
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TK161 wrote:
Baby powder!! I didn't think of that. I was going to grease them up a bit with vaseline. Thanks for the tip.

Put the baby powder in a sock, then dab it on, and use the sock to smear it on evenly. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ANH trooper
Master

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah some of the moulds gan be a real pain to remove the plastic from.I usually cut off the plastic on the harder moulds,and gradually ease them off though it sounds easier than it actually is Mad Leave a good edge of plastic around the mould when cutting from the sheet you just formed so you have something to grab hold of too.

You could try mounting handles inside your moulds to help pull them out,or some kind of knob to be able to grab hold off and pull the mould from the plastic.Gently heating the plastic with a heat gun helps too,but be careful not overheat it and heat up an area larger than the bit you think is locking the plastic down.

What kind of vacuum source are you using?

You should be getting good results with HIPS if you are heating it properly and your moulds are vented.Just letting the plastic sag a lot doesn't always mean the plastic is getting hotter.It has to be hot,very hot to form well.It is hard to guage this if you are new to forming,and can end up melting the plastic or getting bubbles/orange peel.

Just experiment with different sag and you should find the right amount soon enough.It took me a while to egt it right,and I still make mistakes even now Confused

The HIPS we get here in the UK is glossy from the manufacturer,although we can get it in matt too.The ABS is in both too,matt or gloss.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
TK161

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help guys. Yeah, I had a feeling that I just need more practice with the HIPS. I must have ordered the matt finish then. I ordered it from Professional Plastics. I guess I assumed it would be glossy. Oh well. I guess it won't matter since most of it will most likely be practice and scapped any way.
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get my plastics from Professional Plastics too, and have only gotten the 'matte' finish. I'm not aware that a glossy version is available from them.

Most of the stuff I need glossy, I paint with Krylon Fusion, and then top coat with a clear coat.

For our fan film, we wanted the troopers really nasty, so the 'matte' finish is fine for my needs.

HIPs is really the easiest of the plastics to work with. I just wish there was a way to recycle the stuff at home. I'd love to be able to extrude new sheets from my scrap. Crying or Very sad
TK161

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. I was wondering if I ordered the wrong kind of HIPS. So you paint it and then gloss it. I see. I wonder if the matte finish can be buffed and polished out. It would be kind of cool because the crevices and lower areas could keep the matte finish and the larger areas could be glossy helping with the weathered look.
Stomper
Master

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might try a buffer wheel and buffing compound on a bench grinder, but you'd have to be VERY careful not to let friction melt your material... maybe even use the buffing pad attachments on a dremel tool... Now that I think of it, I'll have to give that a shot on some scrap I have laying around!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: