www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Walther P 38

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clint F.
Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: Walther P 38 Reply with quote

I finally indulged myself a bit and while at the big gun show in Houston I picked up a Walther P 38.

I did some research into it and mine is a civillian pistol made in 1963 and was imported by the late great company, Interarms. I discovered, thanks to some period ads, that they sold these as a package deal: pistol, 2 magazines, and a WWII style flap holster made by Wunderlich of Berlin.

These had an anodized alloy frame and the rest of the parts were parkerized steel, as opposed to the wartime ones which had a steel frame and were blued.

This pistol shoots beautifully. I own a 1980s vintage CZ 75 and the Walther is much easier for me to handle. Granted, I have small hands, so the P38's single stack magazine would fit me better.

I am a notorious tinkerer and already have 2 projects in mind. I'm buying a second barrel and slide assembly to make my own version of the rare P 38K (Kurz), which had a short barrel that barely protruded from the slide and a slide-mounted front sight. I don't want to mess up my original barrel and slide, which have serials number matching the one on the frame. Also, I am getting a shot-out barrel to convert to fire blanks only, in case I ever do any reenacting or just want to film a phony shoot-out or something.

Last edited by Clint F. on Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clint,

Thats a beauty! I think you did real good on that one. I'd love to see how it shoots. As I understand it, the P38 lives on in several other makers guns, including the Beretta M92/M9. To think this gun was designed in the 1930's just prior to WWII, and it had a decocker safety, loaded chamber indicator, and an exposed barrel/slide combo, really says a lot about how well thought out this gun really is.

I just got finished watching 'The Last Crusade', and the scene where the P38 shoots through 4 or 5 Nazis is a hoot. Indy is not quite sure what to make of it. LOL.

The old TV show 'The Man From U.N.C.L.E.' sported the P38 as a special gadget gun. Extended barrel with silencer, extended magazine, and a stock! Oh, my!

and more info here; http://www.theunclegun.com/

From a prop gun perspective, the P38 also makes a showing of sorts in the film 'Big Jake'. As the crazy looking pistol the young 'Patrick Wayne' carries. LOL. I think it' suppose to be a Borchardt C-93 or a Bergmann 1896 but is just plain crazy looking made up 'Bergmann 1911 prototype' what ever thats suppose to be.

Here is a fun factoid on it:

http://www.hellinahandbasket.net/2008/03/if_only_it_was_real_1.htm

Last edited by jegner on Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:30 pm; edited 4 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an addendum to the last post, here is what I think the prop makers were trying to replicate in Big Jake:

http://www.genitron.com/unique1.html

compared to the P38 in costume for Big Jake:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Stomper
Master

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man... I have ALWAYS been keen on the P-38... darn it all man!! With all this recent weapons locker talk, you have sparked my interest in firearms (again)... oh well, I didn't really want to pay off all those credit cards this decade anyway!! Laughing
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Tony! Didn't mean to spend your money. LOL. Yea, there are few guys on this board that are into them, including yours truly. Fun stuff, from a collector's and prop maker's perspective, not just the 'scary' side of things like personal defense and the like.

Jim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Weapons Locker All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: