www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Decisions, Descisions...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LaughingCheese
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject: Decisions, Descisions... Reply with quote

Ok, I was really hoping that, since I'm on a budget, that I would be able to build a CNC and vacuum forming machine for roughly $400 each.

I just learned though that it might not be possible to make a CNC machine for under $400 or $500.

So I've been thinking that my only alternative may be to build a vacuum form machine (because that DOES seem doable for less than $500) and then try to hand sculpt the molds from polyurethane foam.

What do you guys think?
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can definitely build a Thurston James type vacuum form machine for much less than $500, if you opt for a shop-vac vacuum source. A hi-vac/tank option will run you over that budget if your not careful.

As for the CNC, the mills I've seen are way more expensive than $500 and thats BEFORE the CNC upgrade, software, and PC to run the mill. Then your looking at a lot of time making the G-code.

Jim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
LaughingCheese
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jegner wrote:
You can definitely build a Thurston James type vacuum form machine for much less than $500, if you opt for a shop-vac vacuum source. A hi-vac/tank option will run you over that budget if your not careful.

As for the CNC, the mills I've seen are way more expensive than $500 and thats BEFORE the CNC upgrade, software, and PC to run the mill. Then your looking at a lot of time making the G-code.

Jim

Well, I was thinking EMC2 for controller software, and my old Compaq PC, except I need to get a monitor for it...we got rid of the monitor. That was dumb...lol.

And maybe I wasn't clear, but I when I was talking about CNC, I meant building one too, just like the vacuum form machine.

Obviously I can't afford a commercial one. :p

I have at least 3 sources for plans...

I think the most expensive part of the CNC would be the stepper motors, and if I have to buy a router.
crashmann
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Join Freecycle for your local area and post that you are looking for a computer monitor. There's lots of old glass tubes out there that are being replaced by LCD's.

Perhaps you could build your vacuum forming machine, make a really cool unique item, then use the proceeds to pay for the CNC machine Smile

Charlie
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
LaughingCheese
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crashmann wrote:
Join Freecycle for your local area and post that you are looking for a computer monitor. There's lots of old glass tubes out there that are being replaced by LCD's.

Perhaps you could build your vacuum forming machine, make a really cool unique item, then use the proceeds to pay for the CNC machine Smile

Charlie

That would be cool...

Or I could just get a job..sigh..

(Long story...)
Jeprachaun

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree LC the stepper motors are probably the most expensive part of the whole project as you can build your own controller and download free controller software. If you are careful you can do it for a reasonable price. To make it cheaper you could try to find stepper motors from surplus sites/ebay, get free wood that people are throwing out, etc. Keep us updated on your decision/progress.

O'Malley
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: