www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Other cool stuff you can do with Vacuum Forming

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LaughingCheese
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Other cool stuff you can do with Vacuum Forming Reply with quote

Was just thinking;

What other stuff have you made with your vacuum forming machine (OTHER than signs and stormtrooper armor, it can be armor from another series or something else entirely).

For instance, one of the things I want to use it for is RC plane and car bodies.

I think it would be really awesome to fly my own designs, even though I don't do much RC flying right now.

Also I want to eventually make the MJOLINR armor from Halo.
TK 109
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

let's see.....

i made an endcap out of a sheet of ABS for a home-made TALKBOX (think peter frampton, daft punk, etc), two actually, one for me and one for my friend. it was cheaper to make it than to go out and buy a giant (5"!!! Shocked ) PVC endcap.

i also tried to form a ww2 steel pot out of HIPS. didn't work out, it was too tight, and the gritty finish made it impossible to de-mold. should have kept the vietnam-era cloth cover over it.... Rolling Eyes

those are my stories. BTW, this could've gone into the vacuum-forming and general stuff category... Wink

-------------------------------------------------------

jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did some ammo can storage trays, some tool drawer liners, that have neat little cut outs of the tool! Some action figure box covers, more Star Wars costume parts than I care to admit to, and a 'top secret' project that if I can get it to work, the collector's of the original action figures are gonna love me!

I also did some experimental business cards, but the plastic I used was too thick for the logo I was using.

I too have made PVC pipe endcaps.

I did some test on a vintage motorcycle parts. Man, the list gets long when I start thinking about all the junk I've vac formed over the years.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
TK 109
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jegner wrote:
I did some ammo can storage trays, some tool drawer liners, that have neat little cut outs of the tool! Some action figure box covers, more Star Wars costume parts than I care to admit to, and a 'top secret' project that if I can get it to work, the collector's of the original action figures are gonna love me!

I also did some experimental business cards, but the plastic I used was too thick for the logo I was using.

I too have made PVC pipe endcaps.

I did some test on a vintage motorcycle parts. Man, the list gets long when I start thinking about all the junk I've vac formed over the years.

and the winner is... jim. Smile Wink

that stuff sounds really cool, jim!

LaughingCheese
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TK 109 wrote:
let's see.....

i made an endcap out of a sheet of ABS for a home-made TALKBOX (think peter frampton, daft punk, etc), two actually, one for me and one for my friend. it was cheaper to make it than to go out and buy a giant (5"!!! Shocked ) PVC endcap.

i also tried to form a ww2 steel pot out of HIPS. didn't work out, it was too tight, and the gritty finish made it impossible to de-mold. should have kept the vietnam-era cloth cover over it.... Rolling Eyes

Coolness!

Quote:

those are my stories. BTW, this could've gone into the vacuum-forming and general stuff category... Wink

Well, I was wondering that...but wasn't sure. Just to be safe I put it here.

Besides, can't really go (too) wrong in the off topic section can you? Razz
TK 109
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

true. i hate being nit-picky about that stuff, "this topic is supposed to go here..." etc., anyway... Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: