www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
CNC Milling Machines for the hobbyist

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Injection Moulding & Other Technology
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:41 am    Post subject: CNC Milling Machines for the hobbyist Reply with quote

Something I've been looking at for a long time, but have not been willing to commit the funds to, is a CNC milling machine. Here is some info I have been gathering:

http://www.cncmasters.com/CNC%20Jr%20Mill.htm

http://www.cncmasters.com/cncbaron.html

and

http://www.cncmasters.com/CNC%20Supra%20Knee%20Mill.htm

I know there are retro fit kits too for popular mini-mills, but those are not turn key solutions and require a lot more time investments and tinkering that I wanted to put into a project.

Jim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
CrazyFool
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having trouble remembering why I was so sold on the Roland MDX-40 as it does not cut metal. Well, actually you can use it to cut aluminum but it was not designed for that.

I think the reason I liked the MDX-40 is that they market it as a plug-n-play desktop device for use with any 3D software that can export .DXF files. You don't need to purchase any CAM software like VisualMill because the MDX-40 comes with its own CAM software that can make machine paths from your .DXF files. Since I already owned a copy of Lightwave 3D (which can also be used to make TV commercials and animations and can export .DXF files) I found their claims attractive.

But... if I had to do it all over again I might opt for a machine made in the USA (better customer support - Roland's are made in Japan) that can also cut steel. All you really need is a copy of Rhino $850 (for CAD) and a copy of VisualMill 6.0 Standard $999 (for CAM) to get going. But... I don't think VisualMill 6.0 Standard can handle 4th axis milling. You might have to shell out another $1,000 for VisualMill 6.0 4th Axis.

Anyway... say I paid $9,500 (Supra Mill) + $850 (Rhino) + $1,999 (Visual Mill 6.0 4th Axis) = $12,349 + shipping. I'm not sure if that includes the 4th axis hardware but it's still not too bad considering that I paid about $10,000 for my setup ($8,500 for my MDX-40 + $1,500 for Lightwave & upgrades) and I can't cut steel. Financially, both machines are in the same general ballpark... unless the 4th axis hardware for the Supra Mill is really expensive.

Even though I can't cut steel I plan to forge ahead and see what I can make with the MDX-40 anyway. Fortunately, most of the stuff I want to make at this point is plastic. Hopefully, I can whip up something that will make enough money to upgrade later if need be. A drawback to the MDX-40's CAM software is that I heard the machine paths it creates are not as smart as VisualMill's. Meaning... the thing takes a lot longer than necessary to cut a part. One pro I do like about the MDX-40 is that it's a desktop device. Meaning, it's something you can use in an office (or an apartment like mine) as it is relatively quiet, self contained and not too messy. I also have all the 4th axis stuff I need (hardware and software). Hopefully I will be okay. I Just can't cut steel right now.

Thoughts welcome!

CF
Culvan
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking into building this one. http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Make-a-Three-Axis-CNC-Machine-Cheaply-and-/ I'll probably start on it in October.

I don't think it can cut anything stronger than wood, but that should be adequate for most of my needs. If I need something stronger I could do it with lost foam casting, or lost wax casting.

It's hard to beat the $~600 price tag for something like this. I like this guy's approach in making the instructions like legos.

Andy
LaughingCheese
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Culvan wrote:
I've been looking into building this one. http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Make-a-Three-Axis-CNC-Machine-Cheaply-and-/ I'll probably start on it in October.

I don't think it can cut anything stronger than wood, but that should be adequate for most of my needs. If I need something stronger I could do it with lost foam casting, or lost wax casting.

It's hard to beat the $~600 price tag for something like this. I like this guy's approach in making the instructions like legos.

Andy

Cool. Let us know how it goes; I'm trying to decide what plans to use as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Injection Moulding & Other Technology All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: