www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
big time webbing, help
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ahillworks
Master

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ANH trooper wrote:
You could try making your negative mould like this....

By making a wooden box that is about 1" taller than your paint pan and cutting out the top panel slightly smaller than the edge lip so the pan can sit in the box, you should get good results.

Put the weather strip on top as shown, and just use this as your new platen. It might be a bit tricky to load up your plastic though? Make sure to drill small holes on the bottom edges of the pan to draw the plastic down.

Great design the only thing I would do differ is let the plastic go over the edges like you would with a normal platen. This will ensure a better seal. Just my 2 cents lol. Also on the inside make sure you seal the walls of the wood with like paint or a sealer. This will prevent air from trying to seep threw the wood it self. :::OR:::

You could take the paint pan and raise like 6 inches up and place it in a wood box and make a good plaster mold and then just seal that to the platen and would be air tight no matter what because the seal is only on the bottom =) Just on the bottom cut out where the hole would be and seal away placing like a 25 or 50 pound weight on top to make sure the seal is good and leave it over night to settle.

Just some thoughts lol
cod
Master

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to consider a 'plug-assist' tool as well. this would be another tool, covered with felt, that would be used to forcibly push the plastic down into(or on) your mold. I've only read about this being used in industrial thermoforming, but it does seem like it would help with such a deep draw. It basically would be you doing some of the work in stretching the plastic by hand, with a piece of felt-covered wood or something that you could ring around the outside of a positive mold (or push into the cavity of a negative mold.)

It may be though that a shop vac system will never be strong enough to make this technique viable.

just more thoughts to muddy your brain Wink
inventer
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:18 am    Post subject: great ideas Reply with quote

Thanks gang, you guys have alot of great ideas and one or all should help. Stopped at Lowes yesterday and bought some wood. This is a fun hobby, (project) and I have fun doing it, but boy it's getting costly, whats the ole saying, you gotta pay to play Very Happy I'll try working on this after work this week, if not, I will be working on it this weekend between working on the motor of my show van, thanks again gang, Tony
inventer
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:47 am    Post subject: you guys rock Reply with quote

Man, YOU GUYS ROCK, I'm so stinkin happy Very Happy , best pulls I've ever made. Did 2 pulls, one with the .010 PETG and one with the .015 PETG, I'm blown away. The .010 pull is pretty thin, but the .015 pull came out great. One of you's said about the PETG plastic stretches like crazy, I've never had and thing stretch like this before, man, you guys ROCK. Very Happy Bet you can't tell I'm happy ? Very Happy No webbing at all, none, nada, none at all, WOW, I'm so happy. Heres some pics I took,
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v81/vanner40/inverted%20pulls/
Now I need to do some modifications to the mold, after that I'll be pulling away, guess what I'm doing sunday ??? Very Happy Whooooo, hooooo, you guys are awsome, thank you so very much, I do get frustated at times, but I've never been a quitter, yet. I'll keep you posted after tomorrows pulls. Tony
CrazyFool
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right on inventor! Great photos. Looks like you have a winner now!
ahillworks
Master

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I told you it streches lol Cool glad you got it to work. Hey I want to see a video of this working this looks kinda cool. Been thinging about doing this and just may start now with some things I want to make.
ahillworks
Master

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so like did you place a hole at the bottum of this?? I really like to know how it worked. lol. I see you also go the lip and all the ripples. Man I really need to know how this worked. lmao.
inventer
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:55 am    Post subject: video Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I did some more pulls on sunday, but did'nt want to waste anymore plastic. I've been working on the mold, adding my trademark. I'll do a video this weekend when I ready to make my show samples to put out in the stores. I knew PETG stretched, but not as good as it does for the inverted pulls.
ahillworks
Master

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool can not wait to see this. Yeah kinda cool when it does that. First time I got it to work it streched over my mold I was like WAAA wait a minute lol. Its cool though.
inventer
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:45 pm    Post subject: video Reply with quote

Hi gang, you'll have to excuse me on the video, I woke up sick yesterday, guess I over did it working and ran myself down, just painted a 7000 sq ft store with 5 colors in 8 days. I drug myself out to the garage to make you's this video and my sweetie helped. The videos loaded backwards, video 2,1 instead of video 1,2. I'll never be a movie producer Laughing Well let me know what you think, heading back to the couch, I gotta try and shake this before work monday. Tony

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v81/vanner40/inverted%20pull%20tk560%20fourm/
CrazyFool
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OUTSTANDING!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy You did it buddy! Whooo hoooo!!!
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All right! Man, your in business now! I hope you can sell a ton of these!

Jim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ahillworks
Master

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow man that is cool. I have a question though. Is the mold raised and has two holes in the bottom? I am trying to figure out how you get the lips to pull on the edges.. I want to make some molds of some project but need to be sure I do it right. If it is raised then the whole box is being vacuumed out correct?

I know so many questions sorry. But man I watched that video like 20 times lol that was the coolest thing to watch this get pulled in reverse lol.
inventer
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:36 am    Post subject: thanks guys Reply with quote

Ahill, the mold is just sitting on the vac table top, theirs holes in the vac table, drilled several holes in the mold bottom just like they suggested on here, now I did screw the mold to the table so it don't move around. The mold is level with the wood box around it, theirs a 1/8" gap between the mold and wood top, thats how the lip gets so perfect. After all the other ways I've been trying, this one just blew me away. What I'd like to do now is figure out a way to make my oven with the nichrome wire and do away with the 2-220 lines. If you want to see more pic's of the box, table, mold or something, let me know, I'll do my best to take some. Thanks again guys. I see theirs alot of new guys posting on here, I hope they learn alot like I did from you guys. Tony
spektr
Master

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:10 pm    Post subject: Why Weatherstripping? Reply with quote

I see weatherstripping listed in the drawing. If you use silicone sealant, real silicone sealant, not latex crap, it wont ever melt, AND you dont have to keep messing with it every part. On molds where you use wood and need to seal things, use silicone seal and squeegee it around. It lasts for hundreds of pulls, is cheap, smearable and really effective...

Scott.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: