www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
What to do??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CJanssen
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: What to do?? Reply with quote

OK, so I picked up this original die cast tie fighter and cant decide if I should print a new back and re-mount it or leave it as is?

Obviously in its current state its value is not even close to mint on card, but will replacing the card with a re-print make it even lower?? Thoughts and opinions please.

Can you believe someone actually dumped this off in a Goodwill donation center?!? crazy I tell ya

Thanks,
CJ
crashmann
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although am not into collecting, I believe the cardback is a classic style that is hard to find. If you're looking to sell it at a later date, then keep it on the original cardback. However, if you want it to look pretty in your personal collection, then print a new one (but in the same classic style).

Can you make a new cardback with the same weight cardboard stock and semi-shiny finish?

Charlie
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
CJanssen
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not in my plans to ever sell it, but at the same time I dont want to de-value it. hmmmm.....

I havent made any cardbacks yet so I am not sure how close to the original I can get it. I think most people print them out and then glue the picture onto card stock.

'eventually' I will be vacforming some blisters and carding up some of my loose figures...who knows when I will get to that part of my "list" I think I have ADHD when it comes to my projects, I start one then half way through I start another....and so on. But hey eventually I will have lots done right? Very Happy
Stomper
Master

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CJanssen wrote:

I think I have ADHD when it comes to my projects, I start one then half way through I start another....and so on. But hey eventually I will have lots done right? Very Happy

LOL... that is my EXACT PROBLEM too!!

BTW, when I was a young lad, I used to have that die cast TIE Fighter, and the Darth Vader one as well... played with them to no end! I could never get my parents (or grand parents) to spring for the $25 (back in the late 70's and early 80's!!) that the action figure sized ships cost!!
crashmann
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was much younger, I only had a few action figures that I could afford with my paltry weekly allowance. Now that I am older, and have more money, I turn to eBay to gather the action figure vehicles that I envied from my friends collection.

If it's worth having, it's on eBay!

Charlie
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a big time fan of the 1960's and early 70's GIjOEs, and the general rule of thumb is, original packaging is worth way more than anything taken out of the box. IF you want to re-card it, take a look at the value of a 'loose' piece. Because that is what it will be considered once you remove it from the factory card.

My suggestion is leave it alone, or search around on the net for tips to restore without re carding the piece. Maybe there are some tips on ironing out the wrinkles etc.

IMHO

Jim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
CJanssen
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was afraid that re-carding it would reduce it to a "loose" piece, and since thats the case it will stay on that less than perfect card. Thanks for all the input fellas.
CJ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Star Wars Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: