www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Converting M-14 Magazines to fit Galil .308...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stomper
Master

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:27 am    Post subject: Converting M-14 Magazines to fit Galil .308... Reply with quote

I have recently learned that the Galil .308 uses modified M-14 magazines, and I happened to source BRAND NEW $20 M-14 (import) magazines... Galil .308 20-round magazines sell for around $125 each!!

Here are some comparison photos of my Galil magazine next to one of the import magazines I just got...

Galil magazine on the left:

Galil Magazine on the left in this photo:

As you can see, the magazines are the same in every respect, with the exception of the magazine-well catches on the sides. The one on the M14 mag can be ground off easily enough , and using a dremmel and file, the front and back latches for the Galil can be made easily enough from steel flat stock found at the hardware store, then a quick spot weld or two and PRESTO, Galil .308 magazines for a fraction of the market price!! Very Happy

I sense a potential money-maker in the works for ol' Stomper.... Wink

Last edited by Stomper on Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had no idea the Galil and the M14 mags were so similar. Cool! Looks like a pretty easy mod. Worth a try. Can you tell if the feed lips are the same, they sure do look the same, as does the follower. Nothing else looks different to me, other than what you have listed.

Question... what is that square hole for? Is that required for some sort of notch?

Jim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Stomper
Master

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read on a Galil enthusiists' forum that IMI used M-14 mags and just added the front and rear latches you see in the photos so it would work with their lower receiver design. I bought a single M-14 magazine to verify if this was true, and IT IS!! The Galil-ified magazine in addtiion to the front and rear latches is slightly modified at the rear...

If you notice the M-14 mag on the right has that rounded profile at the top of the box, and the Galil on the left is straight, taking a dremel and filing the back of the M-14 flat to where it JUST gets rid of that "dip",

then sloping the sides to match the back is exactly the profile of the Galil magazine... easy-peezy, WOO HOO! Very Happy

The one with the square hole (on it's front) is the M-14 magazine. Inside the magazine well of the M-14 is a "hook" that sort of resembles a door latch (the part that sucks into the door when you turrn the handle).. it goes in with the same motion/action as an AK magazine. Basically, instead of the front pivot/latch being on the magazine and hooking into the lower receiver, like on the Galil or AK... the M-14 front latch engages into that square hole. It's the same result as the Galil or AK, but with one less protrusion to snag things when the magazine is not loaded into the weapon. My Ruger Mini-14 is basically a scaled down version of the M-14 with the same style of magazine and tooling.

Now the funny thing is, Gaglil .308 magazines are going for $125 each... WHEN you can find them!! There are a LOT of folks out there looking for these, and I think I can make a couple dollars to help pay for my M4A3 project, by selling these for $75-$85.... I think I could move a few of these for that price given the current market forces.... I just bought 10 more last night!! Laughing
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That magazine mod does not look too hard, given you can find the right bar stock, and don't have to spend a lot of time 'tweaking' each magazine to feed properly. That seems to be the real trick, but I know Tony can make it happen! 1/2 price Galil magazines would be a good thing!

Interesting how much things like magazines have gone up given the current economic crisis. A shooting buddy and co-worker of mine just gave me some used USGI magazines from a friend of his. I think he was moving and did not want all his gear, so my buddy hooked me up with some used but good shape AR15 30 round magazines. I thought COOL!

Turns out one is a Colt, and the others were made during the ban. All three are in good shape, and given todays market, would easily fetch $10 or more. I see new Colt magazines for $30 now. Shocked

This past Summer I picked up some AK magazines, used Romanian surplus in good shape. Cost was $8.50 a mag. Those are now $15-$18 a magazine now. It's just crazy.

Back to Tony's pow-pows. Do you know much about the model 94 Winchester lever action? Is it a 'pre-64'? There would be a date stamped on it if were. Those demand a premium to collectors. Just about anything with Winchester on it does. After 1964 Winchester move the assembly plant to Japan, and quality too a dive.

The Mini-14 is a cool gun. Again, I know little about it. Looks like a scaled down M1 Garand, or at least a scaled up M1 Carbine as far as that action goes! LOL.

Fun stuff.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
CJanssen
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Man Winchester surely rolled over in his grave during the move to Japan.....maybe his wife Sarah too, but she was bit crazy already.

Her pad:

His guns:

Her famous "wacked out stair case":

I dont think those are ghosts or orbs in the last photo, just dust (i guess ?) I mean the place was creepy for sure.

definitely a fun place to visit, she had tons of cash to waste.
Stomper
Master

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to have a closer look at that Winchester... I don't recall a date stamp on it, but I wasn't looking for one either.

I've heard all sorts of stories about the Winchester house.... Shocked

BTW- on my Galil mag, the square hole is visible on the inside of the box, it's covered over by the front latch that IMI spot welded onto it, further telling me that its a modified M-14 magazine. I'm just about to buy a small spot welder off eBay right now... it should be PERFECT (with enough grunt) for cleanly and securely welding those latches (like the original factory) to the box without cooking and ruining the finish already on the mags... oh man, this just keeps getting better! Razz
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool stuff! That Winchester house has a sorted history. There was a documentary on it I saw I think on the History Channel. Weird lady.

Jim
Stomper
Master

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 10) M-14 magazines I ordered arrived yesterday!! I'm going to go out and look for some suitable steel stock today... I scored an excellent spot welder off eBay, and I just found a tutorial to "home-brew" parkerize gun parts that is SPOT-ON EXCELLENT!!

I'll post a thread on the parkerizing thing later today when I get back from shopping!
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep us posted on your progress!

Jim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Weapons Locker All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: