www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Anyone here have an FFL?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stomper
Master

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:09 am    Post subject: Anyone here have an FFL? Reply with quote

I requested an FFL application pack from the BATF website last week (hopefully it won't take 3 months to get here). Has anyone here been through this process, and have any advice or pointers to steer through this process more easily? (Other than NOT being a psycho-criminal LOL )

Surprisingly, Oregon (being such a HARD CORE "lefty" state) has some of the most liberal gun laws in the nation (Texas is better though... LOL). THANKFULLY our state constitution SPECIFICALLY forbids state and county governments from taking away the citizens' right to posses firearms. The use of them however is STRICTLY spelled out... you can ONLY shoot a perpetrator if human life is in danger, and you can ONLY shoot a house-breaker IF he enters YOUR house while you're in it... not like Texas where your neighbor can drop a couple of creeps in your yard if he sees them attempting to break in while you are away... BTW, I LOVE THAT LAW! Wink
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Tony!

I had a C&R some 15 years ago. Different world then. Not sure what flavor FFL you want, but I do understand that you will be required to keep a bound book of all transactions, and to submit to the occasional visit/inspection by the 'alphabet soup boys'. With the internet, gone are the days where you had to keep a store front to conduct business, but you will still be required to have a secure place to store your inventory. Maybe Clint will chime in, as he may know more about the details.

Thats cool that Oregon won't apply more laws than the Feds do. Yea, here in the Lone Star State, that law is called the Castle Law. Keeps the creeps guessing. But you don't hear about it being used much.

Jim

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/localnews/stories/012008dnmetfightingback.6a8cbd.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Stomper
Master

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm still deciding on what class of FFL to get... the "buy & sell" dealer most likely, but I also may get into "building" custom jobs and IIRC that requires a "manufacturer's" class FFL... I'll decide after I do some more homework. At this time I'm not really looking to "resell" firearms... I just want to be able to buy what I want (when I want) and have it shipped to me directly w/o all the FFL transfer(s) hassles & extra costs that involves and the initial $200 application fee would pay for itself in no time. You know, now that I'm thinking about it, building "custom job" firearms seems the next natural progression from building inert movie props!! Laughing

As for security... remember a couple years ago when my shop (and ALMOST my house) got broken into when we were away in Australia? What I have now is a full-on gun safe that I keep ALL my firearms in, (as well as passports, check refills, credit cards, etc.) it's inside my closet (at the end) so it's very closely surrounded on three sides by walls, its bolted (not lagged) down to the floor, and lagged to the wall behind it for good measure.

Then my house (& workshop) have a monitored alarm system with warning signs stating as such that are posted in the yards and on the driveway gates. Then on top of that I have a rather LARGE and VERY territorial yellow Lab who has free range of our totally fenced in property (and he's not afraid to attack a stranger) plus, Dan (the Lab) likes to hide behind the 6' hedges that run across our front yard and "ambush" pedestrians on the sidewalk... you should hear the screams of surprise from them (the 6' hedges are in front of our chain-link fence... privacy AND no graffiti!!) Our property is a WELL KNOWN "don't mess with it zone", by all the local thugs... remember the "concentric rings" of defense concept I mentioned in the other thread? Welllll... there you go!! Laughing

Last edited by Stomper on Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think to 'buy and sell' any modern firearms, you have to have a 'Dealers' license, otherwise, if your interests were simply historic, say WWI and WWII era guns, then you could get by with 'Curio & Relics' one. I did not find that I ever used my C&R in the 3 years I had one. A 'dealers' FFL, makes more sense, even if you only buy with it, and don't sell but online or at gun shows.

Not sure of the cost, it use to be about $30 per year, and were bought in 3-year license periods, but I suspect that has gone up. Is that $200 you are talking about good for a 3-year period? $67 a year, is not bad at all, considering a transfer for a single gun can be $10-50 each depending on the one doing the transfer.

As far as manufacturing goes, I don't know anything about that. Can't be all that hard, as lots of gunsmiths carry an mfg. license. But you should contact one and see what the pros and cons are.

I agree, a natural progression from movie prop to the real deal. I wish I had the time to explore this more.

If you are building up say AR15s, I don't think you need a manufacturing license. Reason is, the lower is the registered part, and there is no need to have that extra license if all you are doing is building up the upper assemblies and putting them on the lowers. UNLESS you want your own brand or line of AR15s with your own logos, etc. That changes the scenario. Now, if you wanted to start making semi-auto L2A3 Police Carbines, from demilled parts kits, well, thats a whole other story. And if you wanted to get into the Class III full auto scene, well, thats a whole other game unto it's self.

Yes, I remember when your storage area was broken into a couple of years ago. Glad to hear you have a security system, and a safe place to store the pow-pows. Wink

Cool stuff Tony!

JIm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Weapons Locker All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: