www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Left-handed AR15 uppers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:53 pm    Post subject: Left-handed AR15 uppers Reply with quote

As suggested by Tony in his Build-Thread, I should consider the pros and cons for a Left-hand AR15 upper?

I'm a lefty, and shoot most everything I own left-handed. Including my AR15. I've learned to live with the debris and crap thrown in my face by any semi-auto. I do have a Browning BPS shot gun that takes and ejects the shells out the bottom of the receiver, and I have a lefty bolt Action Ruger.

Now a company called Stag Arms,
http://www.stagarms.com/index.php?cPath=13_21

offers an AR15 that is made for left-handed shooters. I really should consider getting one. Down sides are, dedicated left hand bolt/bolt carrier group, and upper receiver. The lower remains the same. So I guess I would end up with a pretty high parts compatibility between it and the current 'right-handed' models. Same magazines, and ammo.

Now, my right handed friends would NOT like it, as they would call it 'backwards' to shoot.

I'm just wondering if it is worth saving up for the upper assembly. Anyone seen or shoot one of these before?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Stomper
Master

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only seen lefty-uppers online, but on another note you can also get ambidextrous mag releases, selector switchs, and bolt releases that work in "standard" lowers w/o any mods to the lower, AND they will work with righty-uppers as well. I may eventually upgrade to these in both of my AR's... although I'm a strong right-handed shooter, I can shoot southpaw when needed... well USED TO, anyway!! Laughing

One thing about it... you can swap out to a right-handed upper for your buddies with two pushes of the take-down pins. Wink
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking that a M4 upper half, as a 'lefty' would be a novel idea, and unique with 'a how cool is that' factor, but not sure how practical it really is.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Stomper
Master

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MMMmm... well it WOULD be practical for YOU... think about it, an M4 that just naturally "fits" YOU without having to "mirror think" when using it! I myself, can't even imagine shooting a lefty AR.... since I'm such a righty-tighty! Laughing

One other thing too... when you let your friends shoot it, they'll FINALLY know how YOU feel shooting an "off-handed" weapon! Wink

Last edited by Stomper on Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, True. I've been a lefty for so long, I just have learned to live with it. In fact, shooting my Ruger, with the left hand bolt seems almost...odd. LOL.

The cost for the Stag Lefty upper is no more than that of their Right-hand model. I should really look into doing that... hmmm.

Jim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Weapons Locker All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: