www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Glue for MDF boards.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DarthVader1
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:24 pm    Post subject: Glue for MDF boards. Reply with quote

I need to know which type/brand of glue you use when doing molds with MDF boards? Any help will be appreciated.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ahillworks
Master

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well when building speaker boxes I use Titebond III which is some really good stuff. May work in this process.
DarthVader1
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahillworks wrote:
Well when building speaker boxes I use Titebond III which is some really good stuff. May work in this process.

Actually, I meant joining multiple boards like a sandwich (take for example JEGNER's trooper thigh molds or TK 109's chest piece mold. I'm trying to do a mold for a glove (for a project temporary suspended, soon to continue march), and half a forearm, which I will assume it involves from two to three layers of MDF.

I will check about the TiteBond III stuff. I was thinking that some folks like the ones I've mentioned before, use some kind of brushable glue....I don't know. Confused

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
CJanssen
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the molds that I have made with mdf were glued with Elmers ProBond wood glue (interior/exterior)

I would think that most wood glues are similar, I went with ProBond because I could get a gallon instead of the smaller bottles.

CJ
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any sort of carpenters wood glue will be fine for MDF gluing. Don't use 'Gorilla Glue' or superglue, as that stuff will leave you with unwanted hard spots or voids.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
DarthVader1
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jegner wrote:
Any sort of carpenters wood glue will be fine for MDF gluing. Don't use 'Gorilla Glue' or superglue, as that stuff will leave you with unwanted hard spots or voids.

Yeah, I kind of figure that out, since GORILLA GLUE tends to "spread" while curing somehow, and the SUPER GLUE leaves some white marks around....nasty.

Thanks guys.

PARATECH1
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elmers wood glue is cheap and works just fine. Gorella glue sucks for this. Just like everyone else has said, It puffs up when drying and pushes what you are trying to lock together - apart. The best way to stop or reduce this is the use of locking clamps. Don't use the plastic clamps that you just squeeze and release. When these type of glues dry they can have enough pressure when expanding to push these types of clamps apart.
cod
Master

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used elmers mixed with a little water and then painted on both sides with a paint brush. Seemed to work fine.
DarthVader1
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, interesting.

A fact about Gorilla Glue that I already know, is that it tends to EXPAND while drying. I will be looking into the ELMER'S WOOD closely. Do you know if it comes in a brushable container, say a plastic can/container like wood putty or the kind, like a pint size container?

tubachris85x
Master

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TiteBond wood glue.

I've used it for all of my MDF layered bucks. I have never had an issue with it. Found it funny when I worked in a theatre that they had several cases of the stuff they used to help build the sets.

But yes, they do sell Elmers glue in big containers, so I'm sure you can use a brush for it.

Honestly, for layering the MDF sheets, you won't reallly need to brush it on, for example, the Titebond glue, just apply it like you would with a regular bottle of elmers glue and your fine.

You'll find that when you are shaping the MDF sandwiches (after it's all glued together) that when you come across the sections where the glue was applied, that it'll be a bit tough to cleanly get through it. So I personally wouldn't want the layers completly covered in glue.

-TC
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm, interesting.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: