www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Tanks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Everwolf

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:30 pm    Post subject: Tanks Reply with quote

I was having a difficult time try to find some tanks for my machine I want to build. Buy a tanks is costly and finding a old water heater was not going well for my area. So I was outside walking my dog in my backyard and saw them. Two rather large sized propane tanks. the previous owner had set up a gas fire place in the house but left the tanks empty. I use the fire place as a book shelf since I have never used it. So I got what information I could off the tanks, in order to find out if these would work.

Here is what I came up with:

Type ICC-4BA240
Dimensions: 12 x 45
Material: Welded ALLOY STEEL
PSI Rating: 240
Water in lbs: 239

I am not sure if these will work or if I just need the one. Plus I can't find gallons but they look like they could be 30 gal. tanks. Plus I am concern about the rust on them.

What do you guys think?

"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever." -Shane Falco
PARATECH1
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They look like pretty good tanks dude. Good find.

The surface rust shouldn't be a problem. Just sand it off and see whats underneath. You could also take the nozzles off, stick the tank in a dark place and shine a flashlight inside. See after you've sanded it down if you see any light bleeding through. If there are no thin places where you have sanded you should be O.K.
spektr
Master

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

those are good tanks.. I doubt if there are any issues with them. Get the valves unscrewed if you can, they restrict flow a bit..
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful using 'used' tanks. You never know what sort of dangerous fuels or chemicals might have been used in them. Check with MSDS to see if there is a proper way to clean certain old fuel cylinders.

Also, be sure to know the tanks are empty. Be very careful when removing valves, is gas was stored in them, you could ignite any residual fumes!

Just be careful. Yes, these tanks do indeed appear to be just what you need. Switching out the fittings for larger diameter ones would be a good move.

JIM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Stomper
Master

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are planning on using those tanks for vacuum reservoirs, they will work splendidly, however DO NOT use them for compressed air reserves, as they may lack the internal protective coating that air tanks have due to the inevitable moisture that builds up in air tanks. As Jim said, be careful when releasing any residual propane left inside.

FYI- (another boring physics lesson)

Propane aka LP is "Liquefied Propane" and exists in those tanks in two states or "phases"... liquid and vapor (gas). The liquid sits in the bottom of the tank and the volume of that liquid changes with the ambient temperature... the warmer it is, the lower the liquid volume and the higher the vapor (and pressure), and vice-versa when it is cooler. When the valves are opened to atmosphere (or when the burners to the fireplace are lit) the pressure in the tanks is released and the vapor escapes (obviously), while this happens the liquid phase boils off into vapor, trying to "fill the hole" left inside the tanks.

If you rapidly vent the tanks (briefly), you will notice the sides of the lower portions of the tanks getting cold (sometimes even frosting up if left open long enough)... this is from the liquid phase boiling off into a vapor... this also indicates the level of the liquid (that frosty area). If you slowly bleed them until they stop "hissing", then let them sit for a couple more hours fully open to atmosphere, you should be able to safely pull a vacuum on them.

Fire safety Information-

The 3 required things for a fire are fuel, oxygen, and an ignition source... take away any ONE of those three and you can't start a fire, nor can a fire already burning continue... keep that in mind when you empty those tanks!! Wink

One more piece of trivia... propane is also known as R-290 which has almost identical refrigeration properties/performance as R-22... commonly called "Freon", except propane is FLAMMABLE, and it wouldn't do to fill your duct work (and house) with it if your A/C coil sprung a leak... sheesh, here I go talking about my profession again... I need some sleep!! Shocked

Last edited by Stomper on Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
Everwolf

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:47 pm    Post subject: Thanks for the help Reply with quote

Thank you for the information.

I did some research and all I could find was them saying to thoroughly rinse out the tank with water. They held propane.

What is the difference between vacuum reservoirs and compressed air reserves?

I am also having difficulty getting the nozzle to unscrew from the tank. The is a white substance around the threads that seems to be holding it in place. Any thoughts on how to remove it with out damaging the tank?

jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure others can give you the specifics, but a vacuum is only about 14.7 psi at sea level. You run a higher chance of the side of the tank sucking in under a vacuum. Thin wall tanks won't hold up well in this situation. There use to be a video of a soda machine tank's walls sucking in. High-pressure tanks are made to hold, well, high pressure compressed air/gas/whatever.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Everwolf

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Yeah I saw that video. I really don't want that to happen to my tanks that would kind of suck. They seem like they are pretty thick walled but I should know more once I can get the value off. Man that thing is a pain.

jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sticky goo is a thread paste, and might move with some heat, but be triple sure your tank is fume free, and no chance of any explosive gases! Be careful! Let the tank just sit for a few days with the valve open. Then you could warm it with a heat gun.
Stomper
Master

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks for the help Reply with quote

Everwolf wrote:
Thank you for the information.

I did some research and all I could find was them saying to thoroughly rinse out the tank with water. They held propane.

What is the difference between vacuum reservoirs and compressed air reserves?

I am also having difficulty getting the nozzle to unscrew from the tank. The is a white substance around the threads that seems to be holding it in place. Any thoughts on how to remove it with out damaging the tank?

Hmmm.... I don't know why they would mention rinsing them out with water... just because they held propane. I would not want to contaminate the insides of those tanks with moisture anymore than I had too.

That white stuff you see is thread sealant, it can be white Teflon tape, or it can be a white Teflon paste... you may have to put a strap-wrench around the tanks and use a proper sized wrench on the "flats" of the valve body (just under the outlet fitting in your photo), and if I recall correctly, propane tanks use left-hand threaded valves so you would turn them counter-clockwise looking down on them... but don't quote me on the left-hand/right-hand thing!

The difference between a vacuum reservoir and air reserves is... pressure. "Vacuum" is anything below atmospheric pressure of 15-psi "absolute" (rounded off) and is measured in "inches of mercury" (29.92"Hg is basically atmospheric pressure at sea level)... air reserves are a "positive" pressure above atmospheric pressure in a "pressure vessel" i.e. a compressor tank. You shouldn't use any old tank for air reserves because as air is compressed the moisture it contains is compressed as well and is "condensed" and will gather at the bottom of your compressed air tank. Proper (and approved) compressed air tanks are internally lined with an anti-corrosion layer i.e. special lacquer, epoxy, etc. They will also have a drain-cock to periodically drain the built-up moisture from them. Industrial shops will often have an in-line "dehydrator" that removes the moisture via a refrigeration process (yes I work on those, too!)

For a better understanding of the vacuum process, do a search on these forums as I have posted an easy to understand tutorial on it, so you know what you're getting into.

Hope that helps!!
PARATECH1
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my above post I was wrong in taking for granted that the tanks were already empty. Just like Jegner and Stomper stated - Before you even think of unscrewing the valve bases from the cylinders, make sure the tanks are empty. Open the valve up and listen for any pressurized gas type sound. Do this away from any ignition source. You can also sometimes see the fumes in the air kind of like car gas fumes you might see when filling up your gas tank. Leave the valves open for a few days.

Here's a link on how to best remove a propane regulator on your type of tanks.

http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtalk/showthread.php?t=30748
tinkerage

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:13 pm    Post subject: water in the tank Reply with quote

They recommend that you fill a propane tank with water as a mechanical means to expel the residual fumes. It also removes on of the three necessaties of combustion, air.

This is a fairly common practice when 55 gallon drums are opened.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: