www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Fully operational 2'x4' production machine built in 7 days
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vacunoob
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:23 pm    Post subject: Sweet Reply with quote

The red machine that was destine to be yours is sweet! $300 seems like a great deal.

Though, the heating element looks very unique (in my vast, one week abyss of vacuum former knowledge. lol). Have you pulled from it yet?
vacunoob
Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cod wrote:
Wow, good work. very impressive. Inspiring.

I think you might've gotten your pulley idea from me ?

http://cjod.net/cpg/thumbnails.php?album=2

I'd like to be a worry wart and say a few things about that pulley setup of yours- it looks like its mounted on the inside of the oven- I would seriously consider what might happen if that cable flies loose and touches some live current. If there's a way you can ground it you might be safer- the wood handle certainly helps .....but I am concerned.

Also , are you saying that your wires up top had fused together ? That should not be happening - it means the wire is over-capacity..... are you using standard house wiring up there ? I would use oven wire with a glass shell, of the proper amperage .......It's great to cut corners and all, but this is serious business. You don't wanna burn down your bosses' shop- or worse!

Colonel 2 Cents

@COD- Have you ever done a video of your "vacuforming process"? If so drop me a link. Smile
CrazyFool
Expert

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you were talking to COD but... as for me? Did I make a video of any pulls? Actually, I did not film any pulls when I still had the machine running (in storage now) because I was too embarrassed, but my brother did film a pull using it. I will see if he has the video. I will say that my machine was slapped together in a hurry and my pulley system could have 'ahem' used a bit of tweaking! LOL. Hey, but it worked. Cool
vacunoob
Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some pics of my project:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nickmiletich/sets/72157617414946625/
CrazyFool
Expert

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vacunoob,

That is a clean looking setup you've got there. I like it. Good job!
CrazyFool
Expert

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still waiting to be paid the additional $5,000+ that I'm owed for this auto lube store sign project, but in the meantime I was asked to make a new website for the stores. (BTW the owners are good people and I know they will pay me eventually. Things are just a little tight right now so I told them not to worry about me for the moment.) My little site is not too earth shattering but I'm pleased considering the fact that I really don't make websites. I pretty much did everything aside from the original oil filter character drawing and the TV commercial. I animated the character, did the pistons animation, took the photos, drew the buttons, edited the Flash video, etc. Funny. Sometimes it seems simple but I actually used about five different software programs, chiefly Macromedia Fireworks and Flash (now owned by Adobe). I'm beginning to think I may be much more of a geek than I imagined! Cool Anyhow, here is a screen shot for your amusement...

www.gottalube.com

CF
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ahillworks
Master

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey man from making that from start it looks pretty good and I make sites all the time.
CrazyFool
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a short update in case any of you guys ever wondered what happened to me. The auto lube stores I made the signs for (using my home built vacuforming machine) went out of business. Not sure why. Stuff happens I guess. The problem for me is that they still owe me $5,000, and they have my machine. The machine I'm not too worried about because I just threw it together as fast as I could for that job. But the 5 grand kinda stings. It's complicated because I still work for them at one of their other businesses and that job is going okay I suppose. It's not my full time job but I don't really want to make waves about the 5 grand because I feel they will pay me eventually. Everyone is aware of it. We just don't talk about it anymore. So I was kind of bummed about the stores going out of business and my signs being taken down. Plus I am still out thousands of dollars. All added together I just haven't been in the vacuforming mood if you know what I mean. But hey, I am still amazed at all the products I see every time I visit the hardware store that are 100% vacuformed. There are a lot of opportunities out there for people who are serious about vacuforming. Anyhow, take care guys. Maybe I'll do something crazy again before long!
panhandle_shovelheadrider
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:16 am    Post subject: getting the job is good Reply with quote

getting paid is the trick.I am not being smart .A lot of folks can work all the time and not get paid.It is a skill equal to the skill in producing the work
CrazyFool
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: getting the job is good Reply with quote

panhandle_shovelheadrider wrote:
getting paid is the trick.I am not being smart .A lot of folks can work all the time and not get paid.It is a skill equal to the skill in producing the work

I agree with that 100%. Live and learn. Or not! Shocked
jannypan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of splitting the ovens across two separate circuits. It's simple, and it works very nicely!
charlie476

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: getting the job is good Reply with quote

CrazyFool wrote:
panhandle_shovelheadrider wrote:

I agree with that 100%. Live and learn. Or not! Shocked

Have you thought about molding products to sell on ebay? Seems like with the right things molded you could produce a full time income.
CrazyFool
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:40 am    Post subject: Re: getting the job is good Reply with quote

charlie476 wrote:
Have you thought about molding products to sell on ebay? Seems like with the right things molded you could produce a full time income.

You are right. It is a great idea to sell stuff on eBay. A great idea. My problem right now is that I work too much. (I have had 2 jobs for 10 years. Doing the auto lube signs was like a 3rd job.) I don't have any energy for things I would like to do. It's really stupid, shooting myself in the foot like that.

It's fun to walk through the hardware store (or any store) and try to pick out all the stuff you can find that is 100% vacuum form molded. At first it can be a little frustrating, as you find a lot of things are made by plastic injection, but eventually your list will grow and you'll start to say, "Hey, I can do that one!" Before long you will think of ways to make existing products better or think of things other people have not thought of, or are not selling.

You are totally right. There is a lot of opportunity out there for selling purely plastic stuff online.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10

Jump to: