www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Atomic Sci-Fi Drive In
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 7:48 am    Post subject: Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow Reply with quote

I just saw that flick last night for the first time. All, I can say is WOW! They took 2 of my favorite cinema themes, sci-fi, and the 1930-40's and made a fun art-deco/film noir sci-fi.

The story was fun, if not complex, and the CGI was intentional to be cheezy.

About the only thing I did not like was the Curtis P40 Warhawk retro fitted as a sub. Oh, well. It was a fun movie. Great style.

Check it out!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
CrazyFool
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's looking like the director Kerry Conran may have been a one hit wonder. He was famous for just deciding one day that he wanted to make a movie and went for it.

Trouble is I heard he got into a big fight (that he won) with studio exes over the final post processing of the movie. He wanted an old 40's look (fuzzy) and the exes hated it. They said it simply looked blurry. Although I liked the movie a lot I have to agree with them on that point.

In the end the wunderkid got his way but a lot of people, including influential critics, hated the blurry effect and word on the street is that it seriously hurt ticket sales. Maybe they finally broke even after video sales and rentals but rumor is it killed Kerry's career.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=skycaptain.htm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Atomic Sci-Fi Drive In All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: