www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
gas impact burner?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stick

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:39 pm    Post subject: gas impact burner? Reply with quote

Hi guys,
I'm trying to make a propane oven, but I'm not sure what an "impact" burner is. Can anyone tell me what this is , and where I might be able to find one? Thanks in advance!
Rob
ANH trooper
Master

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rob,

I suspect you have been looking at my oven on Jim's site.The 'impact' burners are just like a piece of pipe with the burner on the end,similar to this one-

http://www.thegrillstoreandmore.com/image/products/big-pics/485248b.jpg

I don't know why it's called an impact burner,but that is what it said on the box Very Happy I have four of the set up,linked up to one gas bottle.It has done the job for me but now it's time to upgrade to electric as the gas doesn't heat up the plastic as evenly.I would try looking for something better than these types of burners to be honest.I'm sure there are burners available that would heat up the entire surface of the oven,rather than in spots which is what these impact burners do.I just got these because they were available locally and cheap Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
stick

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks ANH trooper,
so the gas is no good eh? Ok I guess I'll look into electric then. Although I'm tempted to try and use a gas BBQ! lol
Thank you Sir!
Rob
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul has been making some of the best Trooper armor out there, and he has been doing it with his now famous gas oven. But, most folks use electrical heat to warm their plastic. Unless you already have the burners, I'd go with an electric version.

Blaxmyth even made a coal fired oven, but the smoke from the fire sooted up the inside of the plastic!

By far the cheapest way to make the heater is the nichrome wire, precoiled, and build it like most folks here have done. There are some 'off the shelf' heaters that, if rewired might even out the heat, but the cost will be much more than 10 feet of wire and some ceramic spacers.

JIM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ANH trooper
Master

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jim Very Happy

There is nothing 'wrong' with gas at all,it's more the burner's that I use that are the problem for me.I'm sure if I had a burner plate 27" square it would probably heat the plastic evenly but I don't and as a result the plastic is sagging quite a bit before the edges are hot.

This has not been a real problem for at all until recently when trying to heat other plastics which demand even heating.If you can get the gas components cheap like I did then try it for yourself.I am now going for a halogen heater when Neo shows his unit off.I have the heaters all ready to fit and now just waiting for info about wiring and stuff Smile I have 18 elements to play with costing around 70 quid so hopefully the oven will work well!

-Paul. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: