www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Need help on painting latex without an airbrush

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Fabrication Techniques
View previous topic :: View next topic  
remission

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:24 am    Post subject: Need help on painting latex without an airbrush Reply with quote

I know this more special effects then prop, but I am doing a Hellraiser Pinhead outfit for a Horror-Con here , and I purchased a base latex mask to modify, without realizing you cannot use normal acrylic paint on latex...

Does anyone have any info to help me paint it without a airbrush?

One guy used Auto primer, in grey and white to dust coat it, but not sure how well that worked.

http://www.cenobite.com/fan/costume/pg.htm

Theres not much too the paint..he is pale,, not flesh but more on the white side with a touch of grey/blue tinged.

Im stuck with this mask I bought if I cant paint it and will have to find some other way to do the face.

Any help is appreciated
verdatum

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You actually can use acrylic paint on latex, you just need an additive. Get a bottle of pros-aide prosthetic adhesive, available from most any special effects site (i use fxwarehouse.info) Mix this stuff 50/50 with your paint (Liquitex is what is popularly used), and apply this as your basecoat. Additional coats may be painted in regular unmixed acrylic paint, the basecoat dries tacky enough that it will hold tight.

This technique is called "PAX" (Pros-Aide + liquiteX), and is my favorite way to paint latex masks. Once the paint has had a chance to dry, any remaining tackiness may be removed by pressing talc (or translucent makeup setting powder) into the painted areas. You can then remove excess powder with a damp paper towel.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Fabrication Techniques All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: