www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Quick and Easy Technique

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Mold Making Tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lobosmedic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:06 am    Post subject: Quick and Easy Technique Reply with quote

For those of you who don't have a shop, garage, or like myself are stuck in an apartment with a small porch and early winter, this may be of use.

While trolling for TK info I came across this method of using "laminated" foam and bondo along profile outlines from still shots or scale drawings to make relatively easy to make molds. This foam looks like the stuff that you find in hobby lobby that is rigid and hard, and only collapses under body weight from my experience.

This link shows them vac forming off of it, although for how many it would be good for I don't know, although food for thought as a vac might not pull enough to crush it. Thought I would share as an apartment / dorm friendly option as well as ease of use gives me a good feeling about it, let me know what you all think!

http://imperialarmor.net/how.html
jdougn
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Lobo,

Thanks for posting the link. It does appear that they vac formed with HIPS which cools quickly. However, even if the original foam/bondo mold failed after a pull or two you could always keep an original HIPS pull. If necessary the original pull could be used to cast epoxy or something like UltraCal. Regardless, it is an interesting method for shaping originals.
DougN
lobosmedic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you liked it Doug, I'm pretty sure it would last a while, its like the floral craft foam in walmart which is pretty solid.

Even if you didn't want to vac off of the foam in a hi vac system, another option would be to use the original sculpt to mold over then cast a buck using Ultracal, skipping the HIPS pull. A lot of great options here for originals your right, if anyone tries this soon please post pics!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Mold Making Tips All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: