www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
CNC PLUS 3D Printer?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Injection Moulding & Other Technology
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LaughingCheese
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:27 pm    Post subject: CNC PLUS 3D Printer? Reply with quote

Anyone heard of Makerbot/i.e. CupCake CNC?

http://www.makerbot.com/

It also doubles as a 3D Printer apparently (although they seem to advertise the 3D print capabilities over its CNC dual nature).

I thought this would be a great idea, as I would like to have both but don't have room for both CNC and a 3D printer (such as RepRap, and Fab@Home is WAY too expensive).

The trick is simply to design a gantry robot that can accept CNC routers and plastruder with little configuration.

'
'
Think it can be done?
Culvan
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stumbled across that too. I didn't look at it in too much depth, it really looked like it was too small for my tastes. However if that's what you are looking for maybe it's right for you.

I do believe it is possible to make dual use machines. The mindset is a little different between them, but fundementally the movements of the head reletive to the workpiece are the same. In reprap they move the workpiece down layer by layer. I'm not sure why they don't move the head up, but it works the same (except for inertia).

RepRap's software looks too closed to make it useful for CNC or even a custom made deposit machine. Fab@home seems more in line with custom machines and therefore there should be enough configurability in the software to make a dual use machine. I have not investigated that far personally because the tolerances of the home built stuff don't look up to par for me. The professional machines can make some fantastic stuff.

If it looks like they can get the deposit size down low enough then I'll probably make my CNC machine dual use.

That reminds me, I need to post details of my CNC machine build on here.

Andy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Injection Moulding & Other Technology All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: