www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
A no weld insulated 24x32 metal oven

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fredo
Master

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:29 pm    Post subject: A no weld insulated 24x32 metal oven Reply with quote

A few tools are needed to buld this oven. A drill,set punch, drill bits, 2-4in c-clamps with hardwood blocks for bending accurate sharp conners. A 4-4-1/2 grinder was used for all cuts.[Norton .040 blades at HD are one of the best, the thinner the better]I made one big mistake right off. I mitered the outside walls corners. It should have been a stright cut with a full over lap on the coners. So much stronger. The grinder was used to cut the right angle flanges for the oven froor supports and the recessed bottom cover from 1 10ft.x1inx3-5/8 channel
The bottom walls are made from 2 pcs. 3-5/8 in.x1in.x10ft. 22-gage channel. The top walls are from 2 pcs 22-gage 1x6 in.x10ft. channel. All walls filled with 1in.8#cuft fiber blanket cut to fit. Simple draw catches join the top and bottom oven pcs.
You'll find the center segment of this oven is also in the exact center of the center of the oven. Importent for the flip-flop type former, as it can be isolated and controled. I planed on using HB for the oven floor, it was already cut and drilled , then I saw crashmanns oven floors. I'm now plan on using 1in. 17.7#cu. ft. fiber board, I'll still use cotter pins. There will be adjustable feet on ea corner for fine tuning oven height for thicker plastics. The oven will sit on the frames when stored. I'll post the complete oven build when it's finished.

Top and bottom oven pcs. latched together.

Inside view of floor and bottom flanges.

H B floor in place,viewed from top

H B floor viewed from bottom

1 in. fiber board to be used in place of H B.

Danage you can expect from UPS.

Thats all the pics I have for now.............................Fredo

PS These pics were not this big when I previewed them sorry about that.

Last edited by Fredo on Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
93RMW
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job Fredo! A great way to get around welding. Did you buy your metal by the sheet, or is that roofing material from the hardware store?

I've looked a long time at some of that and wondered if it would be suitable.

Thanks again for putting up detailed photos. It helps other like me who are in the process of building their own machine. Would have liked to see some photo's of the build up to the finished project.

Thanks again
Fredo
Master

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Home Depot dosn't carry the 6in.x1in.x10ft. cap channel, only the 3 5/8 channel and studs. I bought from a local home builders and contractors supply house that carries all the asst. steel used to build metal framed buildings. I checked the local prices on wed. The 6x1x10-$8.90 and the 3-5/8x1x10ft. $6.25. If your interested in building in this type oven, I have extra 8# fiber blanket I'll sell you for what it cost me plus ups ground. If you want to talk PM me for my number.............Fredo
jdougn
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting up this information on your oven build! I think the 3 5/8" steel stud channel is great for the oven. It's light weight, doesn't require welding, and readily available. It looks like your oven is turning out well!!
dn
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Details on the fiberboard you are using? Where and how much?

Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Fredo
Master

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the fiber blanket and board at www.mcgillswarehouse.com. They have a sale price, but it's only for bulk orders. The fiber board is made with a vacuum press and a certain amount of orginic and inorginic binders. The 17.5 #cu. ft. is still to soft to use as the oven floor with out adding an inorginic binder. I'm using the 1/2 gal. of silicon dioxide I had left over from the i-Fold build. I hope it will be enough without having to buy more. I found it at the High Temp. store on eBay. It cost me $50.00 a gal. shipped. I'm sure you could get it cheaper some where else. It also goes by the name Water Glass. It contains 40%-50% pure silica in suspension, in green tinted water. The tint lets you see where its been applied and how much. The 3mmx24in.x65.5ft. roll of paper is on my wish list....................Fredo
93RMW
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Fredo"]Home Depot dosn't carry the 6in.x1in.x10ft. cap channel, only the 3 5/8 channel and studs. I bought from a local home builders and contractors supply house that carries all the asst. steel used to build metal framed buildings. I checked the local prices on wed. The 6x1x10-$8.90 and the 3-5/8x1x10ft. $6.25. If your interested in building in this type oven, I have extra 8# fiber blanket I'll sell you for what it cost me plus ups ground. If you want to talk PM me for my number.............Fredo[/quote]

Thanks Fredo. Thats very helpful. I will let you know if I need the blanket. I had already ordered extra with my Nichrome Wire. Just to be clear, are you using the blanket to fill the walls of the oven? I don't see it in the pictures?

I bought blanket mostly to cover the top (my oven will be overhead) to protect the wiring and shield the ceiling in my garage from the heat.

I may have to find a local building materials supplier. The only steel channel I find at the hardware store is not closed like yours (or did you close it up with 2 pieces?

Thanks again. VERY helpful info.

JRoss
93RMW
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Fredo"]I bought the fiber blanket and board at www.mcgillswarehouse.com. They have a sale price, but it's only for bulk orders. The fiber board is made with a vacuum press and a certain amount of orginic and inorginic binders. The 17.5 #cu. ft. is still to soft to use as the oven floor with out adding an inorginic binder. I'm using the 1/2 gal. of silicon dioxide I had left over from the i-Fold build. I hope it will be enough without having to buy more. I found it at the High Temp. store on eBay. It cost me $50.00 a gal. shipped. I'm sure you could get it cheaper some where else. It also goes by the name Water Glass. It contains 40%-50% pure silica in suspension, in green tinted water. The tint lets you see where its been applied and how much. The 3mmx24in.x65.5ft. roll of paper is on my wish list....................Fredo[/quote]

Fredo, could you post a link to the store or ebay item, I tried looking for both and couldn't find what your describing. Thanks much.

JRoss
93RMW
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:01 am    Post subject: Purpose of the fiber board Reply with quote

I'm using the round loop (not post) ceramic insulators for my overhead oven.

I'm not clear why we use the hardi backer or fiber board vs a sheet of steel or aluminum? Wouldn't a refelctive surface be more efficient at distributing the heat? A blanket above would trap and return and heat buildup in the metal during heating.

Or am I mis-understanding some aspect of this part of the heater?

Certainly more care would need to go into wiring to prevent the oven from being conductive but it seems both space and heat distribution would be more efficient with an all metal oven.

Thanks again.
jdougn
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Purpose of the fiber board Reply with quote

93RMW wrote:
I'm using the round loop (not post) ceramic insulators for my overhead oven.

I'm not clear why we use the hardi backer or fiber board vs a sheet of steel or aluminum? Wouldn't a refelctive surface be more efficient at distributing the heat? A blanket above would trap and return and heat buildup in the metal during heating.

Or am I mis-understanding some aspect of this part of the heater?

Certainly more care would need to go into wiring to prevent the oven from being conductive but it seems both space and heat distribution would be more efficient with an all metal oven.

Thanks again.

Here's my .o2 on the metal vs insulated oven surface.
The nichrome wire is not insulated, therefore, it is electrically active when the oven is on. It would be very easy for a wire to contact the metal surface and that would not be good. In fact, that could be quite literally shocking!! Shocked :small explosions: :fire:
Fredo
Master

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A metal floor is ok on an overhead oven. If the coils sag it will be away from the floor and it won't short out. On a flip-flop coil sag would be a big problum with a metal floor, thus the need for a non conducting floor. I feel all metal ovens are the next step in making our ovens more efficient. You are right about fiber blanket returning the heat to the oven. Thats its job. Your not trying to heat the room, just the plastic. Uninsulated H.B. or all metal ovens have an omni directional heat loss that must use at least the power of 1 600 watt segment to support that loss. Check the heat loss numbers on the i-Fold post. I get more heat, no cold spots, and its done with 600watts less than an uninsulated flip flop of the same size. All the ovens posted here are under powered [9600 watt 2x4 proto form not included]. More heat kept in the oven is a way to help solve that short fall. Fiber blanket reflects almost all the heat that falls on it. Whats needed here is a better understanding of what a really great product it is. I'll send any one a sample, my treat. I feel thats the only way I can get my point across. I could beat you on the head with words all day and still not convince any one to use it. Try it, you'll like it.....Fredo........limited time offer.
cod
Master

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:29 am    Post subject: Re: Purpose of the fiber board Reply with quote

jdougn wrote:
93RMW wrote:

Thanks again.

Here's my .o2 on the metal vs insulated oven surface.
The nichrome wire is not insulated, therefore, it is electrically active when the oven is on. It would be very easy for a wire to contact the metal surface and that would not be good. In fact, that could be quite literally shocking!! Shocked :small explosions: :fire:

consider using grounded GFCI outlets and grounding your whole metal oven and you wil reduce the risk of electric shock in a metal oven. You could even surround your coils completely with a metal cage.. If a coil shorts to the metal chassis it will trip the GFCI, or at the very least the breaker in your circuit panel- electricity follows the shortest path to ground- provide that path by designing modern 3 prong grounded system and you reduce risk considerably.
TK 109
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now THAT'S an interesting concept! Nice work, man! Keep it up. Very Happy

-------------------------------------------------------

Fredo
Master

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:19 pm    Post subject: Lost pictures Reply with quote

I had misplaced the card with these pics, they should have posted before the others. The 1" 8#ft3 fiber blanket and the 1" board both came from Mcgillswarehouse.com. I thought the board was to soft at first, but after seeing the failures of hb in many ovens I've decided to treat the one inch fiber board with silicon dioxide on both sides to make it harder. I'll still use cotter pins as I would have with the hb, just longer pins. The silicon dioxide can be found at the high tenp store on eBay. Here are the long lost pics. It all started in the back of my old ford truck.

4 oven walls ready for the blanket an screws. I predrilled the out side oven walls before I put them together. Top and bottom out side walls.

It was easier to close it up by laying it on the floor

Do not miter the outside oven walls, straight cuts only.

The following pics. are for lower half of the oven, and are for the oven floor and for the bottom cover on the oven. There will be more blanket between the floor and the bottom cover. They also show the electric conections.

The hb floor I've decided not to use.

The 1" fiber board I'll use instead of the hb.

I'll try to answer any questions anyone has...............Fredo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: