www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
26th anniversary of Mt. St. Helens Eruption

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stomper
Master

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 8:44 am    Post subject: 26th anniversary of Mt. St. Helens Eruption Reply with quote

Yesterday marks one of those kinds of days where you remember WHERE you were, WHAT you were doing, and WHO you were doing it with.... considering I can hardly remember LAST WEEK anymore these days, testifies to the impact witnessing this event made on me!! Laughing

May 18th, 1980... it was a clear sunny day... (I was a month shy of turning 13) me and a childhood buddy (Terry) were riding our BMX bicycles Eastbound accross the Holgate Blvd. overpass of I-205 in Portland, OR when I looked to my left and saw a HUGE (and I mean HUGE) mushroom cloud rising in the North. We sat there for over an hour watching the eruption... it snowed volcanic ash for days & days. I wish I still had the gallon glass jug full of ash Crying or Very sad ... oh well, I Still have my vivid memories of what very few people throughout history have been able to witness first hand! Shocked
ROYAL RED

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was nine years old and remember seeing the eruption on tv. I just knew that it was going to reach North Carolina. Well, in a way it did. I recall being on the school playfield and ash falling like snow flurries ... then the teachers gathered us back indoors. We were not allowed to play outside for several days ... at least we had a gym.

I have read several books about volcanoes ... especially on this one. It is amazing to look at the before and after pics.

I also love to watch Dante's Peak. Here is a commentary on the movie vs real volcanoes: http://www.geol.umd.edu/pages/facilities/lmdr/dante/dante.htm

To read more about Mount St. Helens, please go to the Forest Service's website about it: http://www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/mshnvm/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: