www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Hello there...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anticlimaddox

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:06 pm    Post subject: Hello there... Reply with quote

Hey all, been scanning this forum for information and finding some GREAT stuff. Pretty sure I'll have questions along the way, so thought id join.

I'm a designer making some vinyl figures and wanted to use vacuum forming for the packaging. (basically blister packing) The wood box, shop vac and oven method seems simple but doesn't seem like will deliver the best results. I thought about ordering the hobby-vac plans and getting a 2-stage vac from Harbor Freight. Would you suggest this?

I will probably use the setup down the road for some RC car bodies, a buddy has a design collecting dust for and im sure as free time dictates may make some halloween costume props.

Think the Walsh design will do the trick?
jdougn
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Hello there... Reply with quote

Hey Dox, welcome to the boards!

I personally did not get plans for my 2'x4' vac former and it cost me a great deal of time & materials. There are so many technical details that you just can not 'reverse engineer' or figure out. Having watched the Walsh design vac former builds on this forum, especially for the 2'x4', I believe that his plans are extremely well thought out and well worth the money. Since you plan on doing the RC bodies and other projects go with your plan to build a good vac former that includes a built oven and high vac system. You'll have a lot more fun!!

hth, DougN
anticlimaddox wrote:
Hey all, been scanning this forum for information and finding some GREAT stuff. Pretty sure I'll have questions along the way, so thought id join.

I'm a designer making some vinyl figures and wanted to use vacuum forming for the packaging. (basically blister packing) The wood box, shop vac and oven method seems simple but doesn't seem like will deliver the best results. I thought about ordering the hobby-vac plans and getting a 2-stage vac from Harbor Freight. Would you suggest this?

I will probably use the setup down the road for some RC car bodies, a buddy has a design collecting dust for and im sure as free time dictates may make some halloween costume props.

Think the Walsh design will do the trick?

anticlimaddox

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:50 am    Post subject: Thanks Doug Reply with quote

Much appreciated - I'll document the process as best I can for anyone else interested.
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the board! Interesting project, post some pics when you get a chance! I've done a little vintage GIjOE [1/6th scale, from the 60's era] packaging.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
TK 109
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome! Very Happy

-------------------------------------------------------

CJanssen
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I am late Sad

WELCOME to the board
anticlimaddox

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:57 pm    Post subject: thanks for the welcome! Reply with quote

project got delayed with the holidays - should ramp up here shortly as we roll into '10. Happy new year all.
anticlimaddox

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:05 am    Post subject: Getting going Reply with quote

Plans for the Hobby-Vac arrived today. Time for a trip to Lowes!! I'm going to document this whole process of building this thing (without giving away any copyrighted details) but after a quick view of the plans, really nicely detailed and great advice page by page. Impressed so far. More soon.

// cheers.[/img]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: