www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
what is the best heat source for your oven

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
harley guy
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 2:52 pm    Post subject: what is the best heat source for your oven Reply with quote

hi, iam about to build a vac table to pull .125 or maybe .250 abs .i was woundering what the best heat element to buy.it is going to be used for small production.the moulds are not detailed . just a round case.its going to be used as a overhead heat design type.thanks
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you are wanting a 24x24 inch rig like the Thurston James version, you are going to have to make the heater yourself. www.infraredheaters.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
harley guy
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes ,iam building a oven top for mine.i was woundering what the best and less hassel element to use.ceramic infered,nich. wire,quartz tubes,and heat element(oven rods).if it costs me a lil bit of gold its ok.because iam going to be doing lite productions and with abs .i was looking at these ceramic infered heater to use(IRCER10272 FTE-1000-120-0-L6-WH-0 120V 1000W).will these get hot enough .i would like to heat the abs in like about 5 min time frames,if possible. thanks for your info,and when i get my rig done ill post plans and pics of it.its 24 x 36 table.thanks again
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If money is no option, then I'd go with those ceramic box type heater elements. Since I was on a tight budget, the nichrome wire was great. And it heats the HIPs in about 4-5 minutes once the oven get hot. [preheated]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
harley guy
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

will the ceramic get it hot enough???
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for the Thurston James type oven, you only need 2400 Watts. The plastic forms around 350 degrees F.
harley guy
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it shows that the ceramic goes to 1000watts per unit.does that mean i will be using about 10 of them.will that heat i enough?
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At a 1000 watts you would need 3. But that miht not work. You may need to consider another option. Even distribution of the heat to all areas of the plastic. One reason for the nichrome wire. I was assuming the ceramic block heaters were lik4 500W a piece.
harley guy
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can get the cermamic range from 150 watts to 1000 i will need 12 of them.what would be the best watts to use to heat plastic up without tripping breaker 30 amp.i was going to get 2 heat controls to make a outer and inner heat control.thanks again

Last edited by harley guy on Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:43 am; edited 1 time in total
harley guy
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was going to use the nicr wire but i didnt think that would be good for a over the top oven.unless thier is a good reflector to radiant the heat to the piece.thanks
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An over/under design the nichrome wire should do fine. Cheap enough to try anyways.
harley guy
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was woundering if i use 2 heat controllers and make the nich wire into 2 diffirent zones (outer/inner)and plug them in diffrent outlets.would that help out the breaker from tripping,less power,to each zone.because iam making a 24 x 36 table.and would that help out with heat exchange to the sheet.heating outer hotter and the middle cooler.and what would u recommend for a reflecter (material).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: