www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Minimum Vacuum needed?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lobosmedic

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:13 pm    Post subject: Minimum Vacuum needed? Reply with quote

Hey all,

I'm new to the site and this is my first post. I should do an intro, but got so excited I had to post. I'm a college dad, and was biking around the apartment complex at the university mulling over my machine plans when I came across a FREE shop vac brand 2hp 5 gal vacuum. It works great and had the hose, has a great pull, and Free! The poor thing felt lonely next to the dumpster so I had to give it a home.

?Is this strong enough to pull any HIPS ANH armor? Or should I try and scrounge a second?

I will be going off of TK560's Thurston James model, my only change is that my platen will be attached to the frame supports for the oven, collapsible, all in all only taking approx 30in sq. of deck space, with vacuum underneath, all coverable by a grill cover. If this vacuum can pull then I'll be living the dream Cool

Any info is great,
Thanks Smile Smile
ahillworks
Master

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats Awesome!!! Sometimes I wish I could do that! (even though it happens all the time lol) Yeah the shop vac should work fine. I have seen allot of people use them. Just keep in mind the thicker the plastic it may get harder. I am sure If I am wrong others will advise. But hey cant beat the fact you got it free. It should work fine.
TK 109
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i second that, welcome, by the way.

remember peak HP on a shop vac is totally irrelevent to the average HP. the "PEAK" HP refers to the initial jolt to the motor when you turn it on. most vacs, including yours, will pull an average of like........ 2-4 HP on average. and make sure you have PLENTY of space between the inside of the frame to the outside edges of the forming grid/platen/table/deck. Wink (1/2", as TK560 outlines, or maybe even 3/4"?)

you're fine! i can't wait to see what your trooper will turn out to be! Very Happy

-------------------------------------------------------

lobosmedic

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:02 pm    Post subject: Great to hear Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I feel better about my vacuum, now to the setup! Smile

I'll be posting some drawings after I get them done on Sunday, and I've made contact with my local habitat restore and hoping to get all I need except plastic so it shouldn't be long.

I haven't figured out which forming table style either single hole or multi to go with yet. My apartment complex gives out free sheets of HB500 but if I can get some cheap aluminum I might go that way with the oven. But you can't beat free, "its supoussed to go underneath grills to protect their porch", the won't miss it. Wink
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most vacuum cleaners and shop vacs pull about 3-5 inches of mercury [in/hg] and thats just a fraction of what a Hi-vac pump will pull. I can pull .060, .080 and .093 with my machine, but much over that thickness HIPS, the plastic has to sag so much it will get too hot and orange peel.

HP is worthless as it relates to vacuum. It's a rating of the motor, not the vacuum's ability to suck.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
TK 109
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jegner wrote:
Most vacuum cleaners and shop vacs pull about 3-5 inches of mercury [in/hg] and thats just a fraction of what a Hi-vac pump will pull. I can pull .060, .080 and .093 with my machine, but much over that thickness HIPS, the plastic has to sag so much it will get too hot and orange peel.

HP is worthless as it relates to vacuum. It's a rating of the motor, not the vacuum's ability to suck.

oh. yeah. that's what i ment... Embarassed i'll know this someday. Wink

-------------------------------------------------------

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: