www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Forming Video =)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ahillworks
Master

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:42 pm    Post subject: Forming Video =) Reply with quote

So thank you all for your help. With allot of trail and error I have finally figured out the plastic process of forming. Please enjoy my small clip of forming. =)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oi1Qmxzf2ho

Last edited by ahillworks on Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool!

Thanks for sharing. Do you have any pics of your finished project? What is a MacMini Cover? I visited your site, and see some pics, but I am unclear as to what they are for exactly. I don't know much about the MacMini.

Jim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
CrazyFool
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahillworks

That rocks. Say the covers cost you $2 and you sell them for $6. You have just tripled your money. Once you have a product that sells, the path to a million dollars is a simple matter of repetition.

Some people would kill to double their money in the stock market. But tripling or quintupling your money selling a product is commonplace. In fact, that's how the majority of millionaires earn their money - by selling a product they either made or bought wholesale. Makes you wonder why anyone would bother investing. There are easier, faster, more reliable, safer, less corrupt (and more fulfilling) ways to make money.

Good job!

CF
TK 109
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrazyFool wrote:
ahillworks

That rocks. Say the covers cost you $2 and you sell them for $6. You have just tripled your money. Once you have a product that sells, the path to a million dollars is a simple matter of repetition.

Some people would kill to double their money in the stock market. But tripling or quintupling your money selling a product is commonplace. In fact, that's how the majority of millionaires earn their money - by selling a product they either made or bought wholesale. Makes you wonder why anyone would bother investing. There are easier, faster, more reliable, safer, less corrupt (and more fulfilling) ways to make money.

Good job!

CF

i agree, and excellent forming video. YAY! no webbing Very Happy

what we didn't see is weather or not you got your mold off.... Wink did you? Smile

-------------------------------------------------------

ahillworks
Master

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mold is great have allot of things to configure as a production process to make things smooth. Never did buy any release agent and now I see why people use them lol. But it forms perfect. Yeah I was going to charge about 20 bucks for them. I do not know yet. Since I was going to offer them colored as well which would require me to paint them. When you go to think about selling something you do not realize all the work and effort you place in it till its done. It makes you think allot of the cost involved.

I consider my self lucky sometimes. I did the Website my self in flash. The shopping cart. Making the machine and the molds. Learning all this. And I sit back and go wow if you place your mind into anything you can do what you dream. Sooo its just a matter of time. Still got to make a Manual on the cover. Place it under some fire test like sticking a cigarette on it to see what it does (I am amazed on the strength of the plastic and heat) just things like that and then I am done. I have a goal to start selling by the end of next month no later. Already have one on ebay as we speak as a Prototype for bid.

Well got to do some more home work. Will talk to you guys later.

Anthony H.
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to test the PEGT with a RIT dye bath, instead of paint. You will end up with a gemstone tint, and it's real cheap, and easy to do. Just make the part, warm up some water, put the dye in, then soak till it is the color you want.

Just a thought.

Jim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ahillworks
Master

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Interesting Indeed. So you buy liquid RIT Dye for about $3.50 cents and place the drops in warm water. Place the PETG in the warm water for awhile till correct color is wanted. This is Very Cool and opens allot of other windows. I like I like I like. So would this leave the PETG still clear and just has a tint of the color to it?????
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think of the RIT dye, [I use the powder kind, but the liquid would work fine] as a warm water bath, just soak the part in the dye. The longer the dip, the darker the tint. This will not make the PETG opaque though. Thats really all there is to it. I did some RFT visors this way and it worked great. I even tested the X-wing visors, using orange and yellow for a custom dye color and it worked great. Just don't get the water too hot, as it could distort the plastic.
ahillworks
Master

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That rocks and the powder is cheaper. I will so use this method. Thank you so much Jegner. You know this site and the wisdom on this site is great. I will show you the out come later when I test it.
Thanks,
Anthony H.
cod
Master

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Making My Mac Mini Cover =) Reply with quote

ahillworks wrote:
So thank you all for your help. With allot of trail and error I have finally figured out the plastic process of forming. Please enjoy my small clip of making a Mac Mini Cover. =)

holy crap! I was just kidding about the mac mini! but that is what it is!

cod wrote:
awesome!

can you get some photos tho, since you already showed your product once ?

We all know you're making the next mac mini anyway ;

nice work!
ahillworks
Master

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Making My Mac Mini Cover =) Reply with quote

cod wrote:
ahillworks wrote:
So thank you all for your help. With allot of trail and error I have finally figured out the plastic process of forming. Please enjoy my small clip of making a Mac Mini Cover. =)

holy crap! I was just kidding about the mac mini! but that is what it is!

cod wrote:
awesome!

can you get some photos tho, since you already showed your product once ?

We all know you're making the next mac mini anyway ;

nice work!

HAHA i thought you where foreal lol. Well thank you been working long and hard to get this right and finally did. Will be in touch.
ahillworks
Master

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jegner wrote:
Think of the RIT dye, [I use the powder kind, but the liquid would work fine] as a warm water bath, just soak the part in the dye. The longer the dip, the darker the tint. This will not make the PETG opaque though. Thats really all there is to it. I did some RFT visors this way and it worked great. I even tested the X-wing visors, using orange and yellow for a custom dye color and it worked great. Just don't get the water too hot, as it could distort the plastic.

I just need warm water and the whole packet right? Not boiling correct?
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trick is to warm the water, much like hot bath water. Not so hot that it will cause the plastic to distort, but warm enough to help the dye enter the pores in the plastic. You will have to experiment with the time, and temp. Your best bet is to warm a pot of water on the stove thats big enough for the whole part to be submerged in. You can do this with lukewarm water, but it will take longer. Expect to test your parts, depending on the color wanted, from 2-5 minutes, up to 15-20 minutes. The darker the dye, the darker the tint. Experiment around, and let us know your results. I had good luck with amber colored dye made from orange and yellow. And smoke colored visors with using regular old black. Just be sure your parts are clean before you begin. You don't want any release agents, powder or grease to mess up the tint job.

Hope this helps,

Jim
ahillworks
Master

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK sooooooooooo............ I like it but will need your thoughts...... They don't get as dark as I thought. Its a long process and requires one box of die for each cover. Only like 1.48 per box at wal-mart cheaper than RIT's website price of 2.29 a box plus 5 dollars shipping. OK first I have to boil the water seems to work the best when I do this. Then I have to let the water cool down to a little hot but not to hot temp (no steam going up that is). Then I place the cover or covers in the dye of water and let them set for 15 to 20 minutes. And then they are done. Like a clear gem stone. You can see right threw them but with a tint of color. Looks cool on the Mac Mini. Will take pictures later.
ahillworks
Master

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So pink was a joke lol. I guess its to light to do anything. See the issue is in order for the color to dye the PETG it has to be supper hot. Other wise it will only tint it lightly. And I am guessing I am only going to be able to work with Dark Colors which now brings me to a lower number colors. But hey I guess it will work. Posting pictures soon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: