www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Metal working tool saga
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Fabrication Techniques
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Indigogyre
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Metal working tool saga Reply with quote

It's time for me to start cutting and working with my metal and in my ordinary indecisive nature unsure which is the better way to go.

Here are my options:

1. Cold cut saw from sears for $300. It's not as expensive as the other cold cut saws but it is a large chunk of my working capital right now.

2. Miter saw with abrasive cut off blade. While trying to finalize plans for cutting metal I picked up one of these blades and gave it a shot. Well, shot is the right word! A miter saw is not designed to gracefully handle flying sparks of metal! The metal bounces off the back of the saw and richosets towards the user (me).

Pros:
Cheap, only $6 for the blade.
Nice cut! I was rather impressed that it had a very nice clean cut and would be usable strait off the saw or with very minor touch up. It was not what I was expecting. With a proper clamp setup I am fairly confident it would do great.

Cons:
Hot metal flying at the user! It's like taking a molten metal shower.
Melting plastic! Since the miter saw is not made for wood the plastic zero clearance plat started to melt a bit.

3. Abrasive cut off saw. I bought this for $60 from Harbor Freight as it happened to be on sale while I was picking up some welding materials. I bought a 14" cut off wheel and made a few test cuts and it's worse then I thought.

Pros:
Only cost $70 w/ blade.
Quicker cuts

Cons
The cut needs a lot of work to clean up and I will have to setup a cutting station to support the metal on both sides. I have a port-a-mate workstation but the saw does not allow it to be mounted.

4. A better abrasive cutoff saw. I could try to order a better saw and see if that works better.

So, I'm looking for feedback on how everyone does it, did it, or would do it in the future.

Thanks,
Dean
CrazyFool
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using a cheap miter saw with a cut off blade to cut aluminum and steel. You're right. Sparks fly and plastic melts, but it does do the job.

CF
ahillworks
Master

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say miter saw would be a good idea. I guess its based upon thickness of the metal. I used a Jigsaw with metal cutting blades on some of my stuff..... So I guess its what you fancy lol.

Miter Saw:
1) Clean Cut and fast.

Jig Saw:
1) Clean Cut and May not be as fast. But wayyyyyy cheaper lol.

Good Luck.
Indigogyre
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Chop Saw Reply with quote

Thanks guys. It looks like the chop saw will go back to the store since i can get replacement plastic bits for like $5. I can use that money and spend it else where.

Dean
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much cutting of what type of material do you intend to do? If you just need to cut a few tubes for a vac-form-machine, then a good old hack-saw with some good quality coarse blades does the trick, and is not that much effort. If you are doing more on an industrial scale, then your looking at a dedicated tool with lots of power. I have seen such things that look like a skinny grinding wheel, mounted on a chop saw. Seems to really cut the material, but loads of sparks!

Be careful!

Jim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Indigogyre
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:59 am    Post subject: Metal Cutting Reply with quote

I'm putting together a proto form machine and some of the cuts need to be done in some steel tubing over 1" and there are many cuts to be made.

The sparks are an issue but I picked up some protective clothing to shield me from the flying sparks.

since my last post I learned that I can get replacement throat plates for only $3 each. and would most likely only need 1 or 2 at most.

Dean
Jr Branham
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:58 am    Post subject: Porta-band saw Reply with quote

Dean,
If you have access to a porta-band it is quick and easy. Just take your time with the cuts. Mark a line first, then follow line with blade. I used a miter saw and chop saw on mine.....at the time, didn't have access to a portaband. But have used one on projects since then.
fast_monte
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought one of these from HarborFreight.com and have not looked back.

HORIZONTAL/VERTICAL METAL CUTTING BANDSAW

Three speeds to cut everything from brass and aluminum to rugged alloy and tool steels!

Cutting capacity: 4'' x 6'' (rectangle), 4-1/2'' (round)
Gravity feed cutting pressure adjustment in horizontal position
Comes with blade and heavy duty stand
0-55° left miter cuts on horizontal
Two-position rocker switch with safety lock-off

120V, 1 HP motor, 60 Hz; Blade speeds: 80, 120, 200 FPM; Blade size: 1/2" x 0.025" x 64-1/2"; Cutting table: 11-1/2" L x 7-1/2" W x 23-1/2" height from floor (horizontal), 9-5/8" L x 9-1/2" W x 33-1/2" from floor (vertical);
Shipping weight: 137 lbs.

ITEM 93762-5VGA

$249.99

They go on sale alot for about $180
Indigogyre
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:27 am    Post subject: Power tools! Reply with quote

Whoa, that thing looks nice. What are the cuts like? Are they accurate and do they need much clean up? Would be nice to have something that was easier to work with.

They opened a new store around me and I think I have a discount coupon available. Smile

Dean
fast_monte
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cuts are usually ready to weld. Some time on softer metals you may get a little sliver of metal that you can tear off with your fingers. It cuts 45 degrees angles nicely. Be sure to get a bimetal blade from some place like Enco, UseEnco.com The blades that come with them and pretty crappy. The cuts are pretty accurate with the better blades, but will wander a little with the cheaper blades.
Indigogyre
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: New Saw! Reply with quote

New Saw purchased!

JR Branman's suggestion of using a porta-band cutter and Fast_Monte's recommendation of the Harbor Freight saw I went and bought one.

The local price was $209 compared to the $249 price online. Things are looking up in the cost area! I walked around the store and when I went to buy the saw I was in for a surprise. It seems the saw was on sale and it was only $165. Add to that a coupon for an extra 10% off then the saw was only $148.50! They did however suck me into the extended 2 year replacement fo $35 but overall it was still less then I originally expected to pay.

Thanks Monte for the timely suggestion. Now to start putting it together and see how it cuts.

Dean
fast_monte
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also recomend buying a couple of these blades, http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=240-4933&PMPXNO=21108757&PARTPG=INLMK32

Band - Saw Blades & Saws Blade Length: 5 Ft.4-1/2 In. Blade Width: 1/2 Teeth per Inch: 14 Type: Bi-Metal Material: Bi-Metal
Blade Length (Feet): 5Ft.4-1/2In.
Blade Width (Inch): 1/2
Teeth per Inch: 14
Type: Bi-Metal
Blade Thickness (Decimal Inch): 0.035
Type of Tooth: Wavy
Tooth Set: Regular
Material: Bi-Metal
Package Quantity: 1

Model #240-4933
Low Price: $20.17 ea

Availability: In Stock
Quantity
Master Catalog Page 553

They cut much better than the one that comes with the saw.

James
ahillworks
Master

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: New Saw! Reply with quote

Indigogyre wrote:
New Saw purchased!

JR Branman's suggestion of using a porta-band cutter and Fast_Monte's recommendation of the Harbor Freight saw I went and bought one.

The local price was $209 compared to the $249 price online. Things are looking up in the cost area! I walked around the store and when I went to buy the saw I was in for a surprise. It seems the saw was on sale and it was only $165. Add to that a coupon for an extra 10% off then the saw was only $148.50! They did however suck me into the extended 2 year replacement fo $35 but overall it was still less then I originally expected to pay.

Thanks Monte for the timely suggestion. Now to start putting it together and see how it cuts.

Dean

Man now I wished I went to buy one. I was looking at this thing online for some time now. Thats a Sweeeeeet Deal you got there. Good job.
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good score! You should be able to cut all sorts of things with that! Nice price too!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Fredo
Master

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With no space for floor mounted power tools mine are all bench mounted. I bought a 15 amp 14 inch chop saw with blade at H. F. for 79.00. I asked for and got a 10% geezer discount. To be sure the cuts are not weld ready. Lots of finning, but with a 3/4 inch flat bastard they clean up quite fast. ( No I didn't misspell fat). I cut opposite sides at the same time. It handles 2 pcs. of 1 inch sq. tubing with ease. Cutting opposite sides at the same time gives you 2 pcs. exactly the same length. It really makes a differance when it comes to welding or brazing up a square frame. Accurate cuts to 1/32 of an inch or less are possible with careful measuring. A small square helps keep your clamp sq. to the blade. I take it outside to use. It can really mess up a clean shop. Most of the sparks go through a hole at the back of the saw and under the base and always away from you. I've yet been burned by a spark and I've cut up about 100 feet of 1 inch sq. tubing. NEVER cut with the guard up. The edge of the blade moves at over 200 feet per sec. and a broken abrasive blade can kill you. NEVER cut a pc. so small it can wedge between the blade and the table it can and will break the blade. ALWAYS wear safty glasses. All the tools mentioned above will do the job. Some are just more fun to use than others, the chop saw being the most spectacular. Long live the chop saw.Some of these tools will eat you. Be safe!.............Fredo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Fabrication Techniques All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: