www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Adding new categories. Thoughts? UPDATE" 8-7-08

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:09 pm    Post subject: Adding new categories. Thoughts? UPDATE" 8-7-08 Reply with quote

I've been out on R&R for the past couple of months, trying to catch up on some house work, and letting my skin heal from the allergy I got from messing with all this prop making materials.

I'm looking ahead, at a better way to do some things, adding injection molding, and metal casting categories to the board. If you have any suggestions to new categories, please let me know by posting here.

Last edited by jegner on Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Indigogyre
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: Additional categories Reply with quote

Well, the real issue is deciding which way you would like the board to progress.

It is a great vacuum forming site but it sounds like you would like to expand on it. It seems like you want to make the progression from vacuum forming specific to several different areas of manufacturing processes.

Perhaps make an assessment of the different manufacturing processes that are useful to making props and costume componenets and then see if those areas are hobbyable within someone residence or shop area.

Areas that I would find useful:

Welding and metal craft
Injection Molding
Tool and Die making
Tools and techniques for tools.
Suppliers - classified by region

But what do I know. Smile

Dean
TK 109
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blow molding?

also, maybe some more stuff added to that vacuforming series?

come on jimmy van halen, you know you want to... Wink

-------------------------------------------------------

jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, blow molding. I remember as a kid visiting the Little Rock Zoo with my grandmother. She would put a quarter into this machine, and you could watch it 'make' a blow molded toy animal. I remember it like it was yesterday. I wonder what happened to those machines?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've started some work updating the board. With the feedback I have gotten from different board members, [Thanks everyone for your thoughts] I've tried to move related topics together, reorganize things a bit, and add some new categories. Let me know what you think.
CJanssen
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work Jim, very thorough and organized.
Fredo
Master

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metal casting would be on my list right after vacuum forming. I've done thousands of gold and silver lost wax castings over the last 35 years and am ready to move on to lost wax investment casting of aluminum tools for vucuum forming. Most of what I want would be male molds, at most 6x6 ins. and hollow with 3/8 inch walls. I plan on no more than 10 lb. melts. Aluminum melts at a low enough temp. that fiber blanket can be used for most of the furnace. I have enough fiber and wire to build an electric melt furance and a burn out oven........Fredo P.S. I have a cd with pics of my vacuum former but have no idea how to post them. Don't try to tell me how to do it, I just don't get it. I'm an analog man lost in a computer world. Any other ideas.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> News & Updates All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: