www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Anyone interested in my Roland MDX-40 milling machine story?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Injection Moulding & Other Technology
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrazyFool
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two more practice projects I would like to complete before launching into a project of my own. The practice projects require drill bits that I don't own so I ordered them online. Also required are ABS and Delrin plastics that I'll try to pick up locally while I wait for the drill bits.

I'd like to complete the practice projects because I need to learn more about the myriad cutting path options and commands in the CAM program that the machine came with, 'Modela Player 4'. If you are not careful, it is possible to make a milling machine cut itself and damage the machine. Yikes. Better safe than sorry. In fact, my machine (that I bought lightly used) is nicked in one spot but I was told by a couple of people that it was not serious. I was so relieved after completing the first practice project. The machine seemed to work very well and appears to have true alignment. There are no flaws that I can detect in the first practice object it sculpted. I was so glad too because after paying $8,500 for the thing and owning it a full year without using it my excitement had gradually turned to anxiety and dread. I was 1/2 expecting the machine to catch fire and blow up! Shocked Mad Shocked

I will try to post sketches soon of the projects (mine) I plan to attempt after completing the practice projects. It was too difficult to narrow things down to a single project so I'll try working on a few projects simultaneously and see how that goes. Unfortunately, there are one or two projects I'm excited about that I won't be able to share with you because I have to apply for patents. But hopefully I can share them with you after that.

CF
CrazyFool
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First Three Projects...

Here are three of the projects I hope to tackle first. There are two more projects that I can't share with you because I need to apply for patents. But the projects below should be fun. I whipped out the sketches fast, in the dark, so the details might change later.

Dummy Security Camera

There are several types of fake security cameras currently being sold on eBay. I purchased two different designs and one was pretty good. I'm not sure if I can surpass it, but that's okay. I think I can still sell mine. There is an old saying in business. If you want to sell something don't try to reinvent the wheel. Just pick something that is already selling and sell that. I plan to make my dummy camera upgradable (so that you can remove the fake camera lens and install a real, functional camera inside the housing if you like). My camera housing is going to be pretty big. I won't be able to use the rotary tool on my MDX-40 to carve this, but that's no problem. The handy rotary tool is mainly for smaller objects.

Gotta Lube bobble head doll (Copyright 'Gotta Lube Inc.')

This is a nod to the auto lube stores that I vacuformed signs for. My plan is to make a bunch of these that the owners can sell or give away. I will charge the owners of course, so that I can make a small profit for my efforts but I will suggest to the owners that they sell the dolls cheap or even give them away. I think it might be a nice gesture and a neat marketing idea. Out of these three designs this one is probably the most complex. I may have to do it in several pieces.

Fantasy Silverware (My Copyright)

I had the goofy idea of making a battle axe spoon, sword knife and trident fork just for fun. I'm not sure if it's been done before but no big deal. I may try to sell these on eBay. Not for much. Just enough to make a little profit. They will most likely be made of plastic. If they are popular I might think about producing some metal versions. Of these three projects it's funny that I'm most excited about this one Laughing probably because it's the simplest and I might be able to complete it quickly.

CF

P.S. Although the bobble head and silverware are 'fun' projects I really plan to shy away from projects that are primarily for amusement. I'd like to focus on real world consumer goods that improve people's lives in some way. One of the projects I can't show you until I apply for a patent is a life saving device. Another is related to food containment. Course, you have to sprinkle a little fun in there now and then or you might turn into a Crazy Fool. Shocked
Stomper
Master

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I can't think of ONE THING that improves people's lives more than owning a Stormtrooper helmet (or five)! Laughing Wink

This is a cool machine you have... and it outta be for the cost of them!!! Shocked
CrazyFool
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha Laughing I'm sure you are right about the helmets!

The machines do cost money which is one reason I have to focus mainly on consumer products that I can sell a lot of... to recoup my investment. Cool
CrazyFool
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking yesterday, that it might be a bit discouraging to see a guy like me with such a neat (and expensive) machine. But I would not be discouraged. You can have one too if you want. I would be encouraged because it can be done. I'm not speaking to anyone in particular. These are just general statements.

Let me tell you a little about myself. I have worked two jobs for more than 6 1/2 years in order to get ahead. One full time job that averages about 50 hours a week, and a part time job that averages about 15 hours a week. It has not always been money coming out my ears though. I have still had financial setbacks; bad investments, unexpected bills, relatives who ask for money, etc. But working more than the next guy has allowed me to buy a few things that not everyone can justify buying. In addition, I almost never splurge on stuff (other than food and movies) unless I feel it is something that might make money. Then I can justify the expense. Looking at things that way, there is very little that becomes 'too expensive' if it can pay for itself and make you money. I am not the gold chain wearing, Mercedes driving, diamond watch wearing type of guy. That's not the kind of wealth I'm interested in. What I want is to make enough money that I can become financially independent of my job(s) and spend my whole day laboring on stuff I enjoy, instead of trying to find 'spare' time after work.

If there is something you want but you can't afford it my advice is to get a second job and cut your expenses if you can. Also, don't waste money on expensive junk that depreciates in value and does not generate any income (like cars, boats, and big screen TVs).

Just my two cents. I'm certainly not Donald Trump (nor do I care to be). Course, I wouldn't mind dating his daughter Ivanka! hubba hubba Cool

CF

P.S. I realize I'm probably just talking to myself here but I don't care. I do it all the time. Shocked Wink I'm kind of looking at this thread like a diary more than a blog. If anyone actually reads it (other than me) and gets something out of it that's just a bonus.
Stomper
Master

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm TOTALLY jealous and I hate you! Laughing Wink Razz
CrazyFool
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I hate me too so we have something in common. Laughing I wouldn't be jealous though. In the last 30 days I've lost around 35% of my life savings in the market. I might make some of it back, but there is a whole lot I might never make back. I won't say how much it was, but let's just say it was enough to buy Roland's top of the line MDX-540SA. A good example of why they say starting a small business is a far more reliable way to wealth than investing... and the reason I want to make crap to sell!!

CF

Last edited by CrazyFool on Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
CrazyFool
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now the hard part begins. Sculpting in my 3D software program LightWave.
CJanssen
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can sign me up for some of the fantasy silverware when they become available (preferably metal)

Are the Gotta Lube locations in the Seattle area?

CJ

p.s.
totally agree about Ivanka Shocked
CrazyFool
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CJ,
Yep. They are North of Seattle in the Snohomish County area. www.GottaLube.com

Metal is a tricky subject that I may not tackle for a while. To make a bunch of metal silverware you would not be able to do that on a milling machine because it would take forever and wear the machine out. In fact, you don't want to make a bunch of anything on a milling machine. The machines are designed to make masters (or master molds) that you then make copies of some other way.

For example, if I wanted to make 500 sets of metal silverware I would make one steel two-piece mold on a milling machine. Then I would pour molten metal into the steel mold 500 times. The fact that my milling machine does not cut metal makes things more tricky. I would need to sculpt a negative image of the silverware in wax to create a two-part wax mold. Next, I would pour liquid 'investment' material (a kind of cement) around the wax and put the whole thing in a burn-out oven. The oven hardens the investment material and melts out the wax. Then, I would pour molten steel into the (now-hollow) investment material which would produce a beautiful two-part steel mold that I could use to pour molten metal into... to create metal silverware. For those who are not familiar with this process it's called the Lost Wax Casting method and it requires some stuff that I don't own yet. My first real job out of high school was working in a dental lab where I carved teeth (crowns) in wax that my boss cast into gold. I never got to do the casting though. I was just a kid and gold was expensive. I always wanted to try it, and even to have my own setup one day. It is very exciting!! You need a burn-out oven, blow torch, centrifuge, and some other stuff. I'd say around $1,000 total (although you can do it for a fraction of that cost if you build the oven and other things yourself or buy them used). But casting complex objects from molten metal is VERY exciting!! You feel a little like Conan. Like you're one of the few who know the riddle of steel. Cool

If you can carve wax by hand (you don't need a machine like mine - they are modern inventions and lost wax casting has been around for centuries) or have a machine that can carve wax... and you know Lost Wax Casting you can make literally anything; tiny objects of the finest detail up to mammoth parts bigger than a car. I'll let ya know if and when I make it that far. Very Happy

CF
CrazyFool
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second Practice Object Sculpted

Here is a fan I sculpted last night in wax by following a tutorial that came with the machine. You can see how finely the machine will cut. One (blurry) photo below shows the finished fan next to an ink pen and two drill bits. In the final, finishing stage the fan was cut with the larger of those two drill bits, a 1/16" (0.063" tip) bit. As you can imagine, even more impressive results could be achieved if you wanted to use the smaller (0.010" tip) bit.

Boy it's neat to watch a big 1/4" (0.25" tip) drill bit do your initial surfacing cuts. Those chips really fly! Cool

Sorry the bottom photo is not clearer. I started the tutorial Saturday night around 10 pm and just finished Sunday at 5 pm. But in those 19 hours I did manage to sleep 6 hours while the machine was cutting.

CF

P.S. The 'drill bits' are actually called 'tools' or 'mills' but I may keep calling them drill bits here for people who aren't into machining.
clonesix
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magnificent! I applaud you. Congratulations on this. That is a beautiful fan blade.

I have always wanted to learn more on this subject. I realize that the software was always the biggest obstacle.

Thank you for sharing
CrazyFool
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks man. Cool

I'm dying to mill another object but am stuck making 3 more vacuum form molded signs for the auto lube stores. Drats!

CF
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is awesome! I wish I had one. And Tony is right, if you can only make those Hovi-mix mic tips...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
CrazyFool
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The master himself asked me for a favor? How can I say no. Shocked Okay, as soon as I get one or two projects of my own completed I will try to do something (on the smaller side) for you guys. Although I would love to do a full helmet one day I can't commit to such a big project right now. That would be a huge. But... wouldn't it be awesome?!? Cool

Does anyone have measurements (and decent photos) for the Hovi-mix mic tips? Dumb question but, I don't know exactly what a 'tip' is. I assume it's the black, plastic housing like in the photo below? Found this guy online... http://mylifeasastormtrooper.blogspot.com/2008/06/correct-hovi-mix-mic-tips.html

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Injection Moulding & Other Technology All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: