www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Anyone interested in my Roland MDX-40 milling machine story?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Injection Moulding & Other Technology
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stomper
Master

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must be single... us married men generally can't get away with spending THAT much time on any one given thing. Wink
CrazyFool
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The majority of successful men are married and do not achieve success until after the age of 40. From the 1937 landmark bestseller Think and Grow Rich by Napolean Hill.

I should add a disclaimer: I have not studied this book, only thumbed through it and read a few chapters. I've learned recently that it may contain some anti-Christian religious teachings that could be potentially harmful so if you happen to read it I would keep that in mind and take the book's suggestions with a grain of salt.

Last edited by CrazyFool on Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Stomper
Master

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL.... nice evasion!

Well then, I suppose I'm due to win "life's lottery" at ANY time then! Laughing

OK, no more thread hijacking... I promise! Wink
CrazyFool
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3rd Practice Project Done
Looks like I am finally learning a few tricks. Cool A fair amount of work went into this one. Each dot represents a point in space that was added manually and moved around until it looked right. Very tedious but the final result was better than I expected. There are details I wanted to add (wipers, badge, license, more detail in the rocket) but had to say 'enough' and move on. Pretty sure I can do a project of my own now but I really need to complete one more tutorial. There are tricks I don't know. For example, it was difficult to add the door handles for some reason and even then they did not come out right IMO.

CF

P.S. The rocket was my idea. Wink

Last edited by CrazyFool on Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
Asok

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you import other 3D CAD drawing?
CrazyFool
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have to look into that. I believe LighWave can open .obj, .dxf, and maybe .stl files (but I'm not sure about .stl files).
CrazyFool
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drudging through another tutorial and got bored so started tinkering with the security camera. Plane Jane but it's a start.

CrazyFool
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a photo of a real security camera that I like. That's the kind of thing I plan to shoot for (without copying anyone's design of course). My camera needs to be as realistic looking as possible. Big and scary too. Most dummy cameras are either too small or don't look realistic on close inspection. Personally, I hate security cameras but I don't have a problem selling fake cameras. The more fake cameras I convince people to buy the less real cameras will be out there... and the more freedom we can enjoy! See how easy that was to justify? Very Happy lol

Almost done with the 4th and final 3D sculpting tutorial then it will be on to making something of my own design and sending it to the milling machine.

Last edited by CrazyFool on Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:56 am; edited 1 time in total
CrazyFool
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished the 4th and final practice tutorial but there is nothing for me to show. It wasn't one of those lessons that resulted in a finished object. There are many more practice projects in the books on my shelf but they basically cover the same tools in LightWave 3D so there is no need for me to delay getting started on my own project. I can poke through those books later. Kind of feeling stressed though, as I pretty much have all the tools I need to make whatever I want but now comes the... work/mistakes/troubleshooting/etc. Gulp. Shocked I can't seem to summon the energy at the moment to launch into something that will ultimately take at least 100 or more hours. Guess I'll watch Kill Bill V2 (or Planet Terror!) then see how I feel. Watched the original Alien last night while listening to Ridley Scott's commentary. Man. When you see how much work went into a movie like that and how nonchalant the director is about it, it does help you to overcome reservations about doing a little project of your own. I talk with a guy at work who is really into movies and he admitted that he has never once checked out the bonus features on a DVD. Wha...??? That's the best stuff! Cool

I mean, heck. If they can build something like that I should be able to make a silly plastic security camera or bobble head doll. Not saying I recommend watching Alien per say. It's kind of a depressing, gory movie but very effective and well made. And it holds up even today, 30 years later. The thing I like about it is its realism. Everything looks real and the threat feels real. Unlike Aliens, which is fun to watch but looks more like a popcorn action movie.
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with your comments about Alien. Man, what a movie. Scott scared the crap out of the actors, and its truly a piece of cinema art.

I wish I had access to the 3D printers, and the knowledge to CNC my own parts. I would be making all sorts of stuff. I would love to be able to CNC aluminum, to not only make parts, but to also make molds!

Ah, one day...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ahillworks
Master

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey CrazyFool any luck on more building with the milling machine??????
CrazyFool
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,
I know what you mean about wanting to mill metal. My machine won't do that and I can see a day when I'll want to. I can produce metal parts through lost wax casting or sand casting but that could be a bit of a hassle. However... you never know. It might end up being a fun hassle!

ahillworks,
I'm still here. Cool One of my big goals was to mill something and sell it on eBay by the end of 2008 but I got caught up making more auto lube store signs and that zapped what little energy I had left for the year. When it became apparent that I would not make my goal by year's end without a herculean effort, I decided to take it easy and move my time frame to the 1st quarter of 2009. Right now I'm collecting photos of security cameras. Next, I plan to take the best design elements from each and come up with a unique camera of my own. After the camera is finished and (hopefully) selling I will try to work on something a bit more exciting!

CF
ahillworks
Master

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what materials can you form?
CrazyFool
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Roland MDX-40 milling machine cuts most soft materials like wax, plastic, wood and chemical board. If you wanted 1,000 plastic computer mouse covers (for example) what you would do is cut ('mill') your first mouse cover in wax. This would be your master or prototype - whatever you want to call it. Next you would take the wax mouse cover out of the milling machine and pour liquid silicone rubber around it to create a rubber mold. Finally, into the rubber mold you would pour liquid plastic ('resin') and when it hardened that would be your final part. Using the rubber mold you could pour 1,000 plastic mouse covers. You would only need to mill the very first mouse cover with the machine (the master). The machine is only used to make the master so that you don't wear out the machine making hundreds of parts. Plus, you can pour a part in seconds but it takes hours to mill a part.

That's for plastic parts. For metal parts it gets more complicated and I don't have the equipment for that... yet.
ahillworks
Master

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so I am starting to under stand this alittle more now. Is it possiable to show me an example??? LOL I know I know your busy. If by chance your not so busy if you can show an example that would be great.

Anthony.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Injection Moulding & Other Technology All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: