www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Looking for suggestions for a 17 to 21 CFM pump

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Asok

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:01 am    Post subject: Looking for suggestions for a 17 to 21 CFM pump Reply with quote

In the next week, my CAD guy, is going to draw up a 2 x 4 table and then a metal fab shop is going to build it. So, I need a pump. I would like a 17 to 21 CFM pump. Any suggestions?
cod
Master

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for suggestions for a 17 to 21 CFM pump Reply with quote

Asok wrote:
In the next week, my CAD guy, is going to draw up a 2 x 4 table and then a metal fab shop is going to build it. So, I need a pump. I would like a 17 to 21 CFM pump. Any suggestions?

I would think that if you find one of that rating that isn't several thousand dollars you should buy it regardless of brand- assuming it works. That level of pump is usually quite pricey.
Asok

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I am going to spend about $800 to $1000 on the pump.
clonesix
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a pretty big size of pump. What size reseve tank were you thinking of using? A 30 gallon tank can be evacuated by a 7 cfm pump in less than a minute.

be sure to post pics when you get going on your machine.
Asok

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking 2 30 gallon tanks.
stagepin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asok wrote:
I was thinking 2 30 gallon tanks.

If your water heater tank is 20 inches in diameter and 3.5 feet tall, each one has 7.5 cubic feet of air. That's 15 cubic feet that you're evacuating. 2 minutes with a standard vacuum pump will do it.

edit: In thinking about it, if you plumb it right, you can evacuate in series if you're really concerned with time. If you're connecting the tanks in series, make two vacuum ports and separate the tanks with valves. That way you can buy two cheaper vacuum pumps, evac in about 1-2 minutes, open the valve separating the tanks, then you're good to go.

tank A -> vac port/pump -> valve -> tank B -> vac port/pump -> valve
ANH trooper
Master

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might be able to get away with using a pump with a smaller CFM rating. I have a 2'x 2' platen and a 10CFM pump with about 55 gallons of air tank capacity. I actually have three tanks plumbed in series, and the pump takes about 90 seconds to get to -28 in/hg. Once the vacuum is applied to the hot plastic with the pump running, I only lose 1 maybe 2 in/hg from the tanks and it takes no time to get back down to -28 on the tanks. The pump shows -30 at the platen with the pump running.

Just something to consider and could save you a fortune Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
kayaker43
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a super clean Gast 21 CFM pump for sale. Its an oil lubricated rotory vane type so it gets an inch or so more vacuum than a dry vane unit. It is missing the oil reservior but you can get those from gast.

This pump uses a separate 1 1/2 HP 1725 rpm motor, I have the pump and coupler, and may be able to dig up a motor too?

If interested, PM me and I'll pull it out and get pictures. I'm thinking $400 no motor or $500 with motor. I also have a 30 CFM pump if anyone is building a big machine?

Also other plans books and videos for people who like to build things
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: