www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Hurricane Ike

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:20 am    Post subject: Hurricane Ike Reply with quote

Well, here it is, three days later, and we are just starting to get debris removed. Power is still out, and not expected to be back on for another week at the earliest. I have internet access at work, but am spending a limited time on the board, mainly trying to catch up.

The storm was pretty widespread, and we did get off lucky. One hole in the roof, and one tree down on the house, but no major damage. Lots of limbs down, and as of yesterday, 75% of the county, including Nacogdoches was without power.

The last storm, Hurricane Rita, FEMA was quick to set up a food/water/ice distribution site, and it lasted about a week. This time, still no food/water/ice from FEMA.

The generator I usually use to run my vacuum form machine is currently running some power to keep my freezer from thawing, and to have a light on at night.

We are camping out in the house. Cooking on the Coleman stove, and the neighborhood families are banning together for evening meals.

The good thing, is the weather is a great! Lows in the 50's, and highs in the upper 70's.

Thats all for now.

Jim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
CrazyFool
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear you're hanging in there chief.

With everyone freaking out about Wall Street, Ike is not getting the press it deserves. Saw a few photos today and it looked like total devastation in places.

CF
CJanssen
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didnt realize that you were in that area, sorry to hear it. Glad to hear things didnt go to bad for you and your family. Let us know if there is any way we can help out....well, other than providing you with power and driving over to trim some trees for you Smile

CJ
Indigogyre
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:48 am    Post subject: IKE Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that you were impacted by IKE. Hopefully FEMA will come through for everyone. I'm glad to hear that you and your family are able to currently handle the situation. Words just cannot do justice to this situation.

Dean
CrazyFool
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FEMA who?

Glad your generator is coming in handy!

CF
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the kind works. Late yesterday FEMA started delivering supplies. I maintain a small hunting lease, and went to it to check on the cabin. A large oak tree in down on the cabin as well, but nothing too torn up. Just a lot more clean-up work to have to do out there. Oh, well.

Still no power, and I hope we won't have to go too much longer but there are lot of trees down, still.

Thanks again, I really appreciate the warm wishes. Everyone is ok. And thats the main thing.

Jim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: 19 SEPT. 2008

We still do not have any electricity. We keep calling the power company and they keep telling us 'the issue has been resolved'. Every day we tell them we have no power, and every day they tell us we do. Oh, well. What do you do?

Today is the last day FEMA will be distributing relief supplies. I'm using the ice like a mad man, and this weekend it's suppose to get hotter. We got lucky with the cool temps thus far but thats about to change. Looks like I'll have to head to the next town for ice if this continues past today.

Spirits are still high. No one was hurt, and damage was not as bad as some of my co-workers. One guy lost his house! Considering that, my power issue is nothing.

Thats all for now. Pics will be posted soon as I get some power restored at the homestead.

Jim
CrazyFool
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Power company stooges. Gotta love em.

Godd to hear you're doing OK. Too bad about your friend's house. That would be rough.

CF
Indigogyre
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,

I had an idea about the power. I fyour power is still out call the power company but don't tell them you never had the power on. Tell them that the power went OUT AGAIN! Let them know you check with everyone in the area and htey are all out once more also. Perhaps that will get you another imagenary power crew to really fix it this time.

Hope things are still going ok for you.

Dean
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Power came on at noon yesterday. Some 150 plus hours after it went out. We are still really busy cleaning up and getting life back to normal. I still have a tree on the house, but the power company will have to clear it off due to it fall into the service line.

Thanks everyone for the warm wishes, we are starting to get back to normal.

Jim
CJanssen
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grats on getting power back, hope things get back on track soon for you and your family.
CJ
TK 109
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YAY! good to hear TOP JIMMY is doing alright...

we lost power for a week up in ohio, lost some trees, but NOTHING compared to what you guys must be facing...

-------------------------------------------------------

LaughingCheese
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the late reply.

Glad to hear your ok!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: