www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Female Vac Mold Creation
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crashmann
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:57 pm    Post subject: Female Vac Mold Creation Reply with quote

Here's a photo gallery of a kit that we've been working on.

http://tk386.com/aws/bird_of_prey_mold_box/

The goal is to create a negative mold where the surface detail of the ship would be transferred to the plastic as it is being formed.

Another artist created the master, then we cast the parts in silicone, making female molds. We sprayed the molds with a generous helping of Mann's Ease Release, then poured in silicone. The Ease Release did its job of preventing the silicone castings from bonding to the molds. Now we're ready to create the mold box.

I started with a sheet of MDF the same size as the forming platen and attached walls four inches tall. Then I cut 2"x4" boards down to 45° angles. These were installed in the box using lots of silicone caulk. Then the entire box was coated with a layer of silicone caulk.

The only thing silicone sticks to is itself, so while the caulk was wet, I pressed the male molds into the goop.

After allowing the caulk to cure for a few days, we mixed BCC Slow Kast resin and poured it into the box.

Extracting the box from the casting took a good bit of wrestling, but we were rewarded with a beautiful mold!

Now we had to smooth out the ripples from the silicone caulk, and drill LOTS of tiny vac holes to encourage the plastic to draw down into the cavities.

We created a gasket on the bottom of the mold using silicone door sealant strips. This will seal the mold to the platen surface during the pull.

Finally, our first successful pull!

This endeavor had a very expensive up front cost with all of the silicone and resin used to create the mold. But the final results are beautiful, and the plastic pops right out of the mold!

Charlie
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great info, thanks for sharing! Say, that looks like a TOS Romulan Bird of Prey from Star Trek?

I too am looking at making a female mold for a project. Re-creating the vintage GIjOE 6-wheel ATV in vacuum form. A female mold will be the perfect way to get the detailing on the OUTSIDE of the formed part, and not the usual inside.

Jim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ahillworks
Master

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I my self is learning female molding is better than male molding and forming. Get better detail and less likley to webb.
TK 109
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perfect for a stormtrooper bucket...... Idea Exclamation

-------------------------------------------------------

Stomper
Master

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NICE WORK!! I bet you have AT LEAST $200 worth of silicon, not even counting the resin and other materials! Sheesh, and people wonder WHY prop-builders charge what they do!!

BTW- When I first saw this thread's title... I was half-expecting to see something with softer and rounder curves! Razz Laughing
fast_monte
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a picture of a ship that has been built from your mold yet?
crashmann
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not yet Smile

We've sent the vac formed parts to the person who made the master. He's in the middle of building it up, adding some internal structure with foamcore, and creating the instruction sheet.

Here's a thread on Resin Illuminati about the prototype he built up for a client. REL does absolutely incredible work with tiny bits and pieces of plastic!

http://www.resinilluminati.com/showthread.php?t=2537

Charlie
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW! Very nice! I'd love to see that against a dark background. Cool stuff.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
CrazyFool
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is extremely cool. Fantastic job!!

I also have fond memories of the yellow, 6-wheeled G.I. Joe ATV and my sandbox behind our house. It was a prized possession and I'm still not sure exactly how my little brother dispatched it.
spacephrawg
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

question: did the vent holes show up on the final vacuum formed cast? If not, why? They didn't appear to but my screen is small so i cannot tell. I would think if you're sucking into a female mold, it would pick them up more so, right?
crashmann
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, some of the 1/8" vent holes did appear in the plastic as small dimples which can be easily sanded down. If you use a smaller drill bit, then the dimples do not show up. However, smaller drill bits are more fragile.

Another factor is the thickness and type of plastic you are forming. Thicker plastic will not stretch to enter a small hole very easily, but thinner plastic will. We are pulling these using .060 HIPS (high impact polystyrene).

Charlie
DarthVader1
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crashmann wrote:
Yes, some of the 1/8" vent holes did appear in the plastic as small dimples which can be easily sanded down. If you use a smaller drill bit, then the dimples do not show up. However, smaller drill bits are more fragile.

Another factor is the thickness and type of plastic you are forming. Thicker plastic will not stretch to enter a small hole very easily, but thinner plastic will. We are pulling these using .060 HIPS (high impact polystyrene).

Charlie

Yep. same plastic thickness I use for my MR. ROBOTO mask, which is PERFECT for indentation details.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
spacephrawg
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many vacuum casts can you get out of a female mold?
spektr
Master

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is a question without an answer because there are too many variables. Normally I never need to ask the question because I tool in a manner that will exceed my needs. Cheap tools with limited lives are a different story.

Try asking the question a little differently, like this...... I plan to make
X number of these parts. Heres a picture of the part. What tool would you recommend, and how would you make it.

This is SO MUCH easier to do than to get all hypothetical all the time.

Scott.
spacephrawg
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spektr wrote:
this is a question without an answer because there are too many variables. Normally I never need to ask the question because I tool in a manner that will exceed my needs. Cheap tools with limited lives are a different story.

Try asking the question a little differently, like this...... I plan to make
X number of these parts. Heres a picture of the part. What tool would you recommend, and how would you make it.

This is SO MUCH easier to do than to get all hypothetical all the time.

Scott.

Noted. I am however in the planning and research stages so hypothetical is all i got.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: