www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Stomper's M4A3 Carbine Build (DONE!!)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stomper
Master

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:56 pm    Post subject: Stomper's M4A3 Carbine Build (DONE!!) Reply with quote

Well... I have been thinking about this project everyday now for the last 3-4 weeks... I ordered this upper receiver on Dec 21, 2008... it's a minimum of 12-16 weeks for delivery... so I have a "bit more" to wait! Crying or Very sad It has a chrome lined barrel... a BIG plus for corrosion resistance!

It has the Daniel's Defense aluminum hand guards on it with plenty of picatinny rails on it..

Here's the lower receiver I obtained about 3 weeks ago... THAT was an adventure driving across the state in the snow on the way back home!! Shocked

This is the flash hider I plan to install on it... let's take a core sample of a bad guy's sternum... shall we? Laughing

I think I'll go with these filp-up sights... unless I find something I like better.

I'm still looking around for a front & rear grip, & telescoping stock that suits my fancy (that's right... I said "fancy" Laughing) It's not like I don't have time since the upper receiver is still SEVERAL WEEKS out from being delivered! Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Stomper on Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool!

I too want to work up a M4-clone. The cool thing about these AR15 is, the near infinite variety of ways to configure them.

Tony, you are ahead of me, as I have yet to get even a lower for mine. LOL. But I do have an Bushmaster that I can use. It already has the 6-position tele-stock installed.

I'm wanting to put my own barrel on it, so I'm opting for a flat-top upper, and reuse a post ban barrel, right now it is an HBAR, 16, that I want to have threaded and profiled like an M4. I can have that work done, and buy just the M4 upper, and still save about $125. Right now I'm considering having the barrel cut down to 14.5 inches, and a flash supressor permanently attached to get me back to legal lengths. I really don't see me needing to change the flash hider once I choose a good one, and the shorter barrel makes for a closer copy to the govt.s M4 specs. Plus the shorter format makes for a handy-dandy weapon.

Still a long ways for me to go. And at this point, I'm not sure of the grip or the hand guard, but MagPull make some nice stuff.

I'm getting ready to order the upper, but I'm not sure who's I'll get. Del-Ton's most likely.

Here is the grip I'm liking. A buddy of mine has on on his 6.8SPC. Nice! I also like his bent trigger guard.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Stomper
Master

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim, you should DEFINITELY post a build-thread when you get that M4 project started! I rather like that trigger guard... I'm going to add that to my compilation! Razz

I took a look at the MagPul website a couple of minutes ago... I like the grips, but I think I want 3 finger-grooves on mine, and they don't appear to have that option... I saw one with changeable back-straps, 2-3 finger-groove options (or no finger grooves), plus storage inside the handle as well... can't remember exactly where ATM.

I'm debating on a "standard issue" style collapsible butt-stock, or something similar in shape to the MagPul enclosed style... dunno just yet. Too bad they discontinued they're M93 stock... that looked like it could double as a pick-axe when paired with the aluminum strike plate!! Shocked
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony, I will definitely do that, make a build thread.

BTW, is this the grip you were talking about?

http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0054140229153a.shtml
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Stomper
Master

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jegner wrote:
BTW, is this the grip you were talking about?

http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0054140229153a.shtml

BINGO!!! That's the one. I just found (and purchased) one from cheaperthandirt.com for $28.93, and a front vertical grip with pressure pad cut-outs and storage compartment for batteries, etc. Both items received great reviews, they look "cool", and they are VERY inexpensive!

Here's a few photos of everything:

jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those folks interested, Essential Arms makes an affordable lower receiver. Here are some details:

Stripped Lower: Anodized $100, Tough Coated $105

Completed Collapsible Lower: AN $255, TC $260

Completed "Traditional Butt-Stock": AN $250, TC $255

As of today these are in stock, with the exception of the collapsable stock option, as that has about a week delay.

http://www.essentialarms.com/

But you can't order online. You have to call, and they can be hard to catch. (337) 945-0185 . But the good news, is, shipping is reasonable, and they can get it to your FFL inside 3 days!

Sad thing is, before the new year, the lowers were $89!

FYI, YMMV

Jim
CJanssen
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats gonna be a good looking AR Tony, keep us posted with pics Smile

And definitely post yours also Jim, we can never see too many gun builds.

I would also like to add to your Essential Arms price post:......those prices will most likely keep rising with everyones fear of another ban on "assault rifles"
CJanssen
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The website is under construction but the email links work:
www.cncarms.com

Hit Cory up for prices on anything you might be looking for, he has quite a few suppliers......no FFL yet though Crying or Very sad You can email me, but I just forward to him Smile

Just mention this forum and I will make sure you get the "good ol' boy" discount

CJ
Stomper
Master

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoot... I did this before I saw your post!

I just pulled the trigger on a Command Arms CBS, with the complete buffer assembly... a whole piddly $102 (shipped) It has battery storage (you can see them in the photo), and it has versatile add-on components that can be added or deleted.

I'm thinking about investing in a hydraulic buffer to take the place of the stock buffer & spring... I've read it makes a world of difference... no "sproing" in your ear with each shot... LOL.

Last edited by Stomper on Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I just 'pulled the trigger' so to speak and went in with some of my hunting buddies on a group order for a stripped AR lower. $105 plus my portion of the shipping fee, should be about $5, and the transfer fee, usually around $10. $120 out the door.

I have most of the small internal parts, to build this into a full lower. This one will be my cobbled together lower, that I'll put that .22 Cernier upper on. The lower should be in by the end of the week.

Time to start working on the funds for the M4 upper. Now, I have two hard questions to ask. 6.8 or 5.56 for this build? And if I go 5.56, Left or right handed? Hmmm.

JIm'
CJanssen
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should have purchased a couple of lowers Jim and built all the options Smile ......wouldnt that be fun? AND make a great looking gun display.

After reading these posts.....now I think I may need to start another build
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL. I was thinking the same thing. Sadly, reality of being poor dictates only one... for now. Shocked
Stomper
Master

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jegner wrote:
Time to start working on the funds for the M4 upper. Now, I have two hard questions to ask. 6.8 or 5.56 for this build? And if I go 5.56, Left or right handed? Hmmm.

JIm'

dang.... that IS tough choosing a caliber considering you're building an M4.... I'm REALLY liking what I see and have read about the 6.8SPC (since last night!! LOL) BTW- Stag Arms DOES make a lefty 6.8SPB carbine upper!!

BTW- are .223 and 6.8SPC lowers the same in all the dimensions? Or is it just a matter of the caliber stamped into it? Shocked

Stag Arms is saying the lead time for orders is 20-25 WEEKS!! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Jim, PM sent!!
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything I have seen is, the 6.8SPC used the exact same Lower. In fact they use the same bolt carrier group but a different bolt. Magazines look the same, but due to the size of the 6.8, different followers are used, and typically are made from steel. For some reason the USGI mags tend to swell up. MagPul polymer mags are suppose to work though. P-Dub, one of the Marines on our hunting lease has a 6.8SPC. He built his from an upper assembly, a magazine from High Standard, and a recycled Bushmaster Lower [5.56]. I think his 6.8 has a heavy bolt carrier assembly though. Something different about the mass, but I'm not real clear about that.

DANG! 20-24 Weeks! Looks like if I want a lefty, I'll have to wait! Ouch!

Oh, and Tony, PM sent!

Jim
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and it appears there are some AR15 lower makers that mark their receivers 'Multi-Caliber', as to not confuse anyone. Like that makes it more helpful identifying what caliber you are shooting. LOL.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Weapons Locker All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: