www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Topic: Optics

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:38 am    Post subject: Topic: Optics Reply with quote

Well, I finally got that XM177 style barrel from my hunting buddy, and it's really sweet. I'm pretty stoked to finally get it, and can't wait to install it. I'm going to need to get an action block, w/ wrench, maybe in a few weeks, so I can install that barrel, and in the meantime, I wanted to start thinking about optics.

I know, this has come up before, and there are some really nice ones out there. Some cost more than the rifle! Others are super cheap, and to be honest I don't want to get burned on a cheap-o set of glass like I did last time I tried to save a few bucks. At the same time, I don't want to buy some 'Special Forces' grade uper-optics that has features I know I will never use.

I've been hunting and shooting guns for most of my life, and only until about 10 years ago, had I ever shot a gun with a scope. In that time, we have seen the emergence of the popular 'red-dot', holographic, and affordable night vision. Also, there is a whole new breed of scopes designed for the AR15 platform, compact yet powerful.

The old traditional scope makers I might have trusted with glass on my bolt action deer rifle don't always provide an affordable option for an AR. Leupold, my favorite lens grinder makes mostly deer rifle scopes of high quality but their AR scopes are so expensive I won't even entertain them as an option.

Makers like Trijicon, and Eotech for the most part have the military class scopes, and keeping true to my desire to make a M4gery, as close to military specs as possible, I should consider one of them. But with prices starting out at $350 and going up, this level of scope is going to be hard to justify the expense.

Aimpoint has some 'red-dot' scopes that are ok, and again, not sure what models to consider. Some are not too expensive, others are.

Then we have the cheap, import, or not-famous, makers. Some names fall into the class, like Leepers, NC-Star, BEC,INC., AimSports, etc. I know NOTHING about these makers, beyond the low price tag they seem to have. Quality is unknown.

Anyone with a suggestion for a good 'brush' scope for a 6.8SPC AR, used mainly for hog-hunting, in low light conditions, where super magnification is NOT really needed, would be appreciated.

At this point I'm leaning towards a Eotech holographic scope with a magnifier. These are modular systems, that can be used alone, with a 3x-5x magnifier, or even with some N/V systems.

Thoughts? Comments? Recommendations?

Jim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Stomper
Master

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jim,

Like you, I have been an iron sight shooter for the most part... back in the 80's, scopes didn't tend to fare so well for the kinds missions we were running in the Latin American jungles. I'm in the same boat as you concerning optics... although I'm STRONGLY leaning towards the Eotech (or a clone) "holo-reflex" variety... but FIRST I'd be happy to just get that Del-Ton upper delivered!! Wink
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just over at Del-Ton, and they are claiming 12-16 weeks to deliver now. Thats down from 18-24 weeks only last week. Maybe they are catching up on their orders. How long has it been since you ordered? Late December, correct? 7 or 8 weeks maybe? Should be getting close! Hang in there, and Come on Del-Ton!

BTW, I too am drawn to the Eotech type sites, but at this point, I don't know if I REALLY need a combat site system or not. I just HATE the el-cheapo scope I got for my Colt, and don't want to repeat that mistake. But at the same time, do I really NEED this caliber of optics. I don't know.

In the near term, it's really gobbling up other parts. I'll end up living with a carry handle until I go with the optics option I suppose.

Jim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Stomper
Master

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered it Dec. 21, 2008... 8-wks. down 4-8 more weeks to go... Confused

On another note, those 3 lowers and one flat-top upper I ordered from Essential Arms shipped out on Feb. 5th and should be here by next week (sometime) at the latest!!! Then they'll sit in my gun safe for God knows how long until my wallet recovers from everything I've bought so far... I sure would like a 6.8SPC, but it'll have to wait for a while... I'll just console myself with the .308 Galil... Laughing
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, the EA lowers have shipped! When did you order those?

Yea, I got that XM177 CAR barrel, but I have no vice block, or armory tool to change it out. I'm also trying to track down a retro slip [delta] ring, and a A1 pistol grip. Then, when I get the funds, EA sells an aluminum CAR stock.

Man, money keeps adding up with these darn things... LOL.

Jim

PS: Hows about ammo? Can you get .223 locally? We are out most places, but do find some Federal/LC stuff from time to time.
Stomper
Master

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I SERIOUSLY don't have the spare time to go shopping for local sources of ammo... I keep perusing online for decent deals and shop in the printed catalogs that Sportsman's Guide, Cheaper Than Dirt, and a few others keep sending me. I recently got 500 rounds of Wolf 55gr. .223 from Sportsman's Guide for around $180 (shipped). I can't specifically remember the total now, but it was somewhere around there, maybe $160... Question

I bought me a DPMS branded AR multi-tool off of Cheaper Than Dirt, I torqued my collapsible stock down good and tight with it... seems well constructed.

I ordered those EA lowers about a day or two after we were talking about your group-buy here... about 2 weeks ago. Its just like the guy @ EA said it would be for the time frame, they were quite nice to deal with... once you got through on the telephone!

You want the A1 slip-ring, huh? Man, those were a PAIN to work while getting the hand guards off because they had the straight sides... the A2 slip-ring was a HUGE improvement with it's slight taper... I remember one time trying to work an A1 slip-ring and getting a blood blister on the side of my thumb when it slipped off and got pinched somehow... but you were wanting to build a retro AR. Wink
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tony, for the info. Thats about what I was remembering when you said you ordered your lowers. The ones the group ordered here has NOT arrived yet. Not sure, but I think I'll have to call down there this week to see what's going on.

Yea, the A1 slip ring is a real b!tch to work with but I think it will add that last bit of ZING to that build. I'm going all out with it, but I think I can get away with a 'Delta' type, if I just HAD to. Shocked

The A1 grip and the aluminum stock are a must for that build though. If I had not already gotten the barrel off a guy on my hunting lease, for REAL cheap, I would be $100 closer to the M4, but oh, well.

Jim
Stomper
Master

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe ya'll placed your order about the same time I did, so I'd give it until the middle of next week for those EA lowers to arrive before you get too excited... you're closer to LA than me (obviously), and the fella on the phone said it'd take ABOUT a week for them to make their way from LA to OR... Wink
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found out the other guy ordered 'complete' lowers minus the stock assembly, so that may be taking longer. Your were stripped, correct?

Thanks for the heads up, I'll be keeping an eye out for them now!

Jim
Stomper
Master

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup, barren, stripped, just the shell, devoid of any internals.... LOL
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Those slip rings that have the straight sides, are a PITA to work with, but I've been working this XM177/CAR clone going on the better part of a decade. I got the lower and barreled upper back during the AWB, and cobbled together what I could legally do to it back then. Fixed stock, barrel with no flash hider, no bayonet lug etc. I've used it all this time, but the thing is a heavy beast. When the AWB sunset I told myself I'd make a proper XM177/CAR clone out of it. Here it is some 4 years later and I just got the barrel. Since I have to take the delta ring off during this barrel swap, might as well put on a funky old school one. I've tracked down the A1 pistol grip, and I know EA makes those old school Aluminum stocks.

One step closer to being done with my retro projects... LOL.

Jim
Stomper
Master

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well.... the way things are going, you better keep 'em well oiled & ready. Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Weapons Locker All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: