www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Question About This Tank I Have....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TK 109
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:07 pm    Post subject: Question About This Tank I Have.... Reply with quote

Hey! We don't need this tank anymore, so I was wondering if I could use it for Vacuum-Forming:

The only problem is its SIZE. This thing holds 50 GALLONS!

My Question is, can I use this tank for Vacuum-Forming? Because I know the tanks you guys use are about 30 gallons, and what I thought was I could use a slightly larger pump (or wait longer on a pump usually used for a 30 gallon tank in a vacuum-forming situation).

Also, how would the plumbing look for this setup? Could I see a diagram?

If I could use this tank for a pump set-up for my vacuum forming machine, that would be GREAT!

Thanks. Cool

-------------------------------------------------------

CJanssen
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took a 40 gallon (or was it 30?) anyhow....I took the outer metal off, all the foam insulation that was between the tank and outer metal, painted it black.....good to go. There are a few extra holes that you will need to plug, but all are standard pipe sizes and plugs can be picked up at Home Depot.

I think the only downside to 50 gal vs 30 gal is the time it takes to bring the tank to your desired vac level, but I am not certain about that.

I dont have any pics of my tank plumbing yet, I can work on that.
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 50 gallon tank will work fine, takes longer to evacuate, but at the same time has more vacuum capacity.

I'd strip off the sheet metal and insulation and get down to the tank only, and be sure it's not rusted to a point it won't hold air.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
TK 109
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, that was one of my concerns, the fact that it might be to rusty...

but taking off the outer sheet metal, insulation, etc, and plugging the holes should be easy.

wicked! i can use this thing.

now, what should i use pump-wise? anything that fits the specs of the TJ-type pump?

this is awesome! Surprised

ANH trooper
Master

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my experience, a larger tank only takes longer to evactuate the air on the first go. After all the air has been evacuated and is on hold, a pull for the plastic should barely make the guage move. I have about 54 gallons of tank space and lose roughly -2 or -3 in/hg of mercury each pull. By the time I have opened the holding frames my guage is back down to -26 in/hg (which is the about max I can pull with my 10 CFM pump) though I get -30in/hg at the platen once I close the tanks off and use the pump on it's own.

Make sure the tank is going to be able to hold the vacuum or thing will implode. Trust me I know, my oil drum imploded and it sounded like a bomb exploded in my loft! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ahillworks
Master

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ANH trooper wrote:

Make sure the tank is going to be able to hold the vacuum or thing will implode. Trust me I know, my oil drum imploded and it sounded like a bomb exploded in my loft! Laughing

HAHAHA that must have been great besides the almost having a heart attach from the surprise =)
TK 109
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good news:

this tank is in gorgous shape!

it seems like it'll hold a vacuum... i'll post some more pics later...

so.... bigger is better? Confused

crashmann
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes, bigger most certainly is better!

Occasionally I'll have a pull that just doesn't seal against the platen. The plastic just stretches over the molds, but never sucks down. If I abort the pull fast enough, and shut off the vac chamber at the platen, then I usually have not lost too much vacuum in the tank. I then flip the plastic back onto the oven and reposition the molds on the platen while the vac pump continues to evacuate the tank. If I didn't have the large tank, then I would waste all of the vacuum with the attempted pull.

When the pull goes well, just like Paul noticed, the vacuum gauge barely drops a few inches. I keep the pump running, and by the time I've pulled the molds out of the plastic, the tank is ready for another round.

Go big, it's the American way Razz

Charlie
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
TK 109
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NICE!

well, i'll go out to the shop sometime today and get a pic of that pump... i think i've asked this question before, but it's a pump that came from my hot tub....

i'll get some pics, and post them....... Wink

TK 109
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

finally have pics of the pump and the naked tank.... Confused

ok, i was wondering if i could possibly use this pump effectively somehow in a hi-van setup...?

thanks! Very Happy

hmmm...

just realized it doesn't specify much about inches of Hg.... Shocked

PARATECH1
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but I believe that particular pump is made to suck, push and recycle water. This can be through a spa, outside waterfall, pond, ect. This type of pump was not made to pull a vacuum. You won't get the even close to a proper vacuum pull with a water pump.
PARATECH1
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I could find a used tank like yours in my area. I've checked dumps, recycle centers, people who take out and install water heaters, and nearly even Santa Clause himself with no success.
TK 109
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well darnit. Sad i had a feeling that would happen...

as for tanks... i dunno man, you might need to buy a new one, because these things re usually... everywhere... Shocked

cod
Master

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted a notice at work and got a 50 gallon water heater pretty easily.

One thing I would recommend is you make sure that the tank is free of sediment. these things tend to get residues at the bottom - minerals and rust. You will have a drain plug at the bottom . try filling the thing with water and draining it out the bottom and see if the water is clear. I have thought about soaking and rinsing mine with something like CLR or Limeaway, but haven't been 'forming for while.
PARATECH1
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lime Away works pretty good. This months Family Handyman magazine has an article on cleaning out an old hot water heater. They say you can bend a metal coat hanger and scrape / pull out a good bit of the sediment that accumulates at the bottom. Run water through the top until the bottom runs clear. Once this is done put a liquid Lime Away type product in and redo the scraping. Since the water heater isn't attached you coud put the Lime Away product inside the tank ( make sure the tank has all the holes plugged up ) then roll the tank around in your yard where the top, bottom, and sides will get a good coat of the stuff. Let it sit the products recommended time period. Then re-scrape reflush with water until clean.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: