www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Imperial Code Cylinders... WOO HOO!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stomper
Master

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:27 am    Post subject: Imperial Code Cylinders... WOO HOO!! Reply with quote

I was drooling on the "Romulan Bird of Prey" thread that Crashman (Charlie) posted, and clicked on the link he posted that further documented the build progress of his project... its AMAZING the "abstract" things you can pick up out of the blue, and what I discovered was how to get a "near chrome" finish on parts that I fabricate...

(BTW- Here's the link to the thread Charlie posted: http://www.tk560.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1153 )

Here's the quote, Charlie posted showing a WIP, notice the chrome exhaust ends on the two nacelles?!!

crashmann wrote:
Not yet Smile

We've sent the vac formed parts to the person who made the master. He's in the middle of building it up, adding some internal structure with foamcore, and creating the instruction sheet.

Here's a thread on Resin Illuminati about the prototype he built up for a client. REL does absolutely incredible work with tiny bits and pieces of plastic!

http://www.resinilluminati.com/showthread.php?t=2537

Charlie

I have been beating my head against the wall trying to achieve a "near chrome" finish on the Imperial Code Cylinders that I have been making for a while... I have tried cold casting with nickle-silver and aluminum powders, as well as every type of spray paint I could find... they all were "less than satifactory".

In that WIP thread with the Bird of Prey, a chrome paint called "Alclad II" was mentioned... so I did a Google search.... WOO HOO, PAY-DIRT!!

Of course if required to be applied with an air brush so I found a NEW, complete airbrush kit, that included the mini-compressor, hoses,, etc. for about $85 shipped... here's a photo of the kit:

If anyone wants to get one of these, I HIGHLY recommend you get one from these folks on eBay: http://stores.ebay.com/TCPGlobal-AutoBodyDepot_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ0QQftidZ2QQpZ3QQtZkm

Just look for "airbrush paint & paint kits."

Here's some photos of the results I was able to achieve... the original on the left, the two Alclad-II painted in the middle (more shiny than the original!!) and the one on the right with "aluminum" spray paint that I have been using up until now... the flash makes them ALL look shiny, but believe me, in person its like "night & day" in the difference of the finish... even though when worn with a costume you will only see from the pocket clip upwards... LOL:

Here's a shot w/o the flash:

Here's a few with the "old method" of painting:

Here's athe link that will help explain how to use the Alclad II: http://www.alclad2.com/alclad-home.html

I ABSOLUTELY cannot overstate how nice an airbrush works, and I now consider it an ESSENTIAL tool in my ever growing arsenal of tools for building the best props, and models possible!!

Hope all this helps! Wink

Last edited by Stomper on Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool deal! I need to try the AlClad for a Cylon helmet project. One of these days, when I get some free time. I already have an airbrush so I just need the paint.

Did you paint a black undercoat?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Stomper
Master

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jegner wrote:
Cool deal! I need to try the AlClad for a Cylon helmet project. One of these days, when I get some free time. I already have an airbrush so I just need the paint.

LOL.. funny you should mention that Cylon helmet of yours... I was thinking of that VERY thing when I made this thread!

jegner wrote:

Yessir, I sprayed a gloss black under-coat... if you don't use a gloss black, the finish isn't nearly as brilliant. I read on another "web blog" (the link is now busted as of today), of a guy using Krylon black instead of the more expensive Tamiya paints. By the way, all this stuff smells like rubbing alchohol, and it occurred to me that it's all alchohol based paints and thnners!! I paid almost $9.00 of a pint of Tamiya "acrylic thinner/cleaner" and its nothing more than rubbing alchohol!!! Shocked Lesson lernt... but its not like you can read the ingredients... its all in Japanese!! ! Rolling Eyes

Jim, when I get a bit of time, I'll make up and send you a sample paint chip with this stuff on it so you can get a feel for how it looks! Wink
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome!

Thanks!

Jim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
DarthVader1
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Imperial Code Cylinders... WOO HOO!! Reply with quote

Stomper wrote:
Of course if required to be applied with an air brush so I found a NEW, complete airbrush kit, that included the mini-compressor, hoses,, etc. for about $85 shipped... here's a photo of the kit:

I HATE YOU FOR THAT!!! Wink

Good deal, bro! Including my compressor (a big one, BTW), I would say I've spent about $300, but I'm talking about an OVERALL compressor, and a HIGH QUALITY AIRBRUSH. But still you've got a really good deal.

In a serious note....how can I get 4 of those? PM me if necessary. Wink

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Stomper
Master

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sell them in sets of 2 for $30... LMK if you'd like a couple sets. Wink
crashmann
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a bunch of OLGa (Old Line Garrison) folks will be in touch with you for code cylinders Smile

Here's a Commander Gree helmet that TC-1536 Mike painted using Allclad. He also laid down a layer of black paint, then airbrushed on the Allclad. The stuff is magic!

Charlie
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Stomper
Master

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice!!

I also dig the Maryland State flag on the left shoulder bell!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Star Wars Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: