www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Jimbo's M4A3 Carbine Build (WIP) almost there!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:21 pm    Post subject: Jimbo's M4A3 Carbine Build (WIP) almost there! Reply with quote

Well, that Essential Arms lower finally made it. Not a bad looking one for sure. Price was cheaper than anyone else right now, $105. I could not pass on the group order the guys on my hunting lease started. So, now it's time to start building that thing up.

I'm going to build this lower for use on another gun, but when it gets done, I can swap out the Colt upper I have and make a proper M4!

Watch this thread for updates.

Last edited by jegner on Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:39 am; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not much to report. I swapped the ambi-safety switch from the RRA to the Bushmaster. That makes it official, the Bushmaster will become the M4A3 Clone.

I've been looking online at Gunbroker, and there is a guy selling Bushmaster A3 uppers, complete for $120. These are older ones that may or may no have the M4 feed ramps. He also sells a Cerro forged flat top thats Milspec. This is suppose to be the same forge Bushmaster uses. Currently, I'm debating if I should get one of these or not.

I've also specked out a 14.7 Mod4 barrel with an A2 flash hider from CMMG. This is the barrel I think I want. The A2 allows the use of a bayonet [not like I will ever need it] but I like the shorter over all length of it, and IF I wanted a true M4 style, the shorter barrel is a must. The whole point of the M4 is manueverable. CQB style.

EDIT: Oh, and still have a legal 16 over all length. The MOD4 has a pinned and welded flash to get the OAL back to 16 inches. I looked at their Phantom, and IZZY comp versions, and it's real hard to decide.

Oh, the options...

Last edited by jegner on Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:14 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Stomper
Master

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man... I had a look at those uppers, not too shabby!! Unless you are planning on using an M4 extension barrel, I don't believe the feed ramps are an issue... and even so, you could cut them yourself with a dremmel tool. Hey, I also saw a carbon-fiber lower!! I wonder how THOSE work out in the long-term...

I'm looking forward to seeing this build!! Very Happy
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As soon as I can scrape together some post-tax return money, I'll order that barrel and upper! I'm wanting to assemble it myself, but trying to find the right combination already assembled is tricky.

P-Dub, one of my hunting buddies has a carbon-fiber lower. I kid you not, the thing has no weight! I mean virtually none. He has yet to assemble it into a usable lower. I'm a big fan of modern plastics, but I have to wonder about the long-term durability of that stuff. Could be good, could be bad. Vulcan/Hesse made some that are notorious for breaking. I'm not saying they are the same, just that these two are the only ones made from plastic, and the Vulcan/Hesse break. I hope they hold up.
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The short of the long is... I'm doing this on a REAL tight budget. LOL. Anyway, not exactly part of the M4 build, I wanted to share what I have been working on.

I did get one of the affordable Essential Arms [EA] lowers as part of a group buy with my hunting lease buddies. I got the $105 stripped model, as I had most of a lower parts kit, and an old crummy stock I could use so I decided to reuse these spare parts and finish it out.

The bottom line is, everything fit like it was suppose to. The finish is almost a match for my Colt upper, and will make a great, low budget gun. I did this lower, using mostly parts I had on hand for less than $125 as you see it. Not bad. Some of the parts are from a gun I build and upgraded some 10 years ago.

The next step will be to upgrade the stock. I'm going to get the same one Tony is using for his build, the CAA stock for the M4. I can then use the old stock that is on my M4 Lower for this one. Sort of butt-stock musical chairs.

Also, as part of the junk I have laying around, I also plan to take the HBAR barrel off an A1 upper, and send it off for a reprofile to become my M4 barrel. I can save a load of cash by doing this. I have a XM177 lightweight barrel already, so I was having to remove the barrel anyways. I can save enough to buy that flat-top upper I want for the M4 build, and recycle a barrel in the process.

This has been quite fun, I've never rebarreled an AR before, so all this will be a learning adventure for me. I have the proper tools either on hand or on order, so let the fun begin!

Waiting for the tax refund to arrive to I can order that Upper...

Last edited by jegner on Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stomper
Master

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NICE!!!

I notice that there are no apparent serial numbers on that EA lower... NICER-ER!!! Wink

My EA lowers have not arrived yet, I'm going to start calling and ask for a tracking number if I don't see them by next Wednesday.... Shocked
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tony! As for the serial numbers, Photoshop my friend. I read somewhere, that it's not a good idea to post pics of your pow-pows, so that you can still read the numbers.
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update. I ordered the Aluminum stock from EA. This should complete that XM177/CAR build that has been taking me the better part of 10 years to complete. Now, if my action block will ever come in from Midway, so I can change out that barrel...

Progress is slow!
Stomper
Master

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL... YESTERDAY is to slow in these matters!! Wink

BTW- (Off topic)

There is an apparent SNAFU with my EA lowers... as of this morning they show on the UPS website as delivered on 2-13-09 and signed for... the FFL guy here says as of last-night he hasn't got them... either the UPS guy pulled a shifty, or his wife signed for them and its sitting in a corner he doesn't know about, or he's a crook and will be in deep doo-doo. Unless he can show that the signature that UPS has is NOT his (could be a slacker UPS driver) he's going to be on the hook for those parts... and I don't need to mention who gets involved when Interstate Commerce (ESPECIALLY when its firearms) is tampered with!!

I selected this FFL because he has OUTSTANDING feedback on GB.com, almost EVERY ONE of them state how honest and terrific he is/was to work with, so I'm still getting all the facts before I pull the trigger and unleash the dogs... the EA guys are ready to supply all the info on their end to the authorities, plus if he is foud to be a crook they are going to blacklist him and pass it along to every other FFL they do business with.

If the UPS signature is valid, I hope for this guy's sake the box is sitting under his nose and just doesn't realize it, because I'm going to START with a call to the local BATF office and report those serial numbers as stolen under HIS FFL... but like I said, he could be the victim of a shifty UPS driver... we'll see. Mad
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, no! Shocked Dang! That stinks. Yes, I would for sure check with UPS, and follow up, but, if the USP delivery guy took it, or sent it to the wrong house... Man, what do you do? If the FFL is a cheat, well, those guns go into the ATF database as stolen contraband. Yikes. Thats gonna put him in a world of hurt. I guess if you don't get them, then either way, they are reported as stolen. Wow, I don't know what to say. Sorry. Is there anything I can do?

Jim
Stomper
Master

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just deleted my lost post, since I just got off the phone with the local FFL... it was as I thought (fortunately)... lost in the shuffle... left hand not knowing what the right hand was doing, and he was VERY apologetic... SOOOO..... tomorrow afternoon its all set to do the FFL trtansfer and back ground check!! WOO HOO!! Very Happy
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whew! Man, thats great news! Post some pics when you get them!

Jim
Stomper
Master

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK.. All is well!! As requested by Jim, here is a photo of my GORGEOUSLY FINISHED EA lowers and one matched A3 upper (which works with any of them), the "6.8Rem" marked lower is on the bottom (I DEFINATELY have plans for that one)... these were a GREAT deal, considering today's "gold rush" climate!

NOW.... this is about Jim's M4 build... not my problems... LOL!! Laughing

Back to our regularly scheduled WIP thread!! Wink
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All right! Very Happy

Good looking bunch you have there! Glad you like the receivers. The one I have fits great, the parts just go right on. The finish is pretty nice too!

Thanks for sharing the images.

Jim
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my flat top A3 receiver came in, and it's a doozy. Pretty good match to my Bushmaster lower. Some CLP and it's looking about as good a finish match as I could expect, but not 100% either.

I'm still waiting on my action block to do the barrel swap. I'm really wanting to make this pretty much USGI, standard issue, well, at least as close as possible.

I also need a few, oddball parts. bolt carrier group, and for it, and I've ordered a charging handle already that has the extended latch, and I've decided to save some pennies and just keep the 6-position stock I have. It's a Tapco, but is sturdy. At some point down the line, I'll upgrade it to the CAA, or Magpul stocks but not anytime soon.

I'm having the barrel reprofiled and converted to M4 style, by http://www.kurtskustomfirearms.citymax.com/ . While I wait for him to get back in town, I'll just have to live with that HBAR barrel. I'm short handguards, so I'm looking at either the oval double heat shield ones or the Knights Armament RIS. Thats what the Marines are using, and I've talked with one about it. He says they are nice, but a little over kill. I think I should start out with the M4 style, and then upgrade it along the way.

So, other than some odd parts, the last big expense on this M4 build is the barrel reprofile work, and the bolt carrier group.

I'll post some pics of the upper in a few.

Jim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Weapons Locker All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: