www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Jimbo's M4A3 Carbine Build (WIP) almost there!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went home today, and waiting for me an AR15 action block from MidwayUSA.com Needless to say, I had to swap that barrel out over lunch. Easy-breezy. I think the hardest things were, loosing the gas tube roll pin, and getting the old gas tube out. But once that was done, the barrel swap was a no brainer. There was a tad bit of registering the barrel so the front sight base was not canted, but after a time or two, I got that figured out.

With the new barrel, DANG, that XM177 sure is well balanced. Something the old barrel just didn't have. It was always front heavy. I can't wait to slip out to the lease and test fire it. Not sure I'll have issues with the more modern 'F' marked front sigh base and the old A1 rear sight or not. I hope not.

I'm pretty excited about finally getting it together. I look back. 15 years since I got the parts kit and Rock River lower. And, I've been wanting to upgrade it to a more proper XM177 clone most of that time. If it functions correctly, and shoots ok, I can call that little project DONE!

Time to send that HBAR off and have it worked on! I'll snap some pics the same time I shoot that M4 upper. Stay Tuned!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:32 pm    Post subject: Here's some pics of the XM177 clone Reply with quote

with some 'Nam vintage ammo, mags, and camo.

The whole sha-bang.

Note the no logo RRA receiver, straight sided slip ring, and the M14 sling and A1 grip. Oh, and thats an aluminum stock too!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:40 pm    Post subject: M4 so far Reply with quote

Here are some pics of the USGI M4gery so far:

Bushmaster lower AND upper.
Thats a Tapco 6 position stock I had on hand, with a recoil pad, and an ambi- safety selector. No bolt or charging handle yet, though one is on order from MidwayUSA.

BUIS and primary optics will be up next as soon as I get the barrel work done. Standard M4 oval, double heat shield handguards are on order. I'll spring for some Knights Armament RIS on down the road. I'm also going to upgrade the mag release with an 'amib-catch' one of these days.

Optics will either be a Eotech 516, or 552. Not sure yet which ones, but I like the idea of being able to use the BUIS at the same time as the Eotech.

More to come as I get the funds to mess with it.
Stomper
Master

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NICE NICE NICE!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

LOL... "USGI M4gery".... that's AWESOME!!! LOL!!

That XM177 brings back some memories when I used A1's! I too, am going to install ambi-selectors and mag releases on my builds. I'm sure hot to trot for my Del-Ton M4 upper to get here!!!

I tell you what... at this rate, I may have to get out your way and bring a couple of my pieces for a get together for some plinking and/or some hog-hunting!! Wink
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words. LOL, yea I decided to use up what spare parts I had, and do the M4gery on the 'cheap'. I'll eventually upgrade it with the other parts like the Magpul trigger/grip, Knights Armament RIS hand guard, lasers, lights, etc. but for now, I'm just trying to get a functional carbine. I'm short the sights, a gas tube, the barrel assembly, and a gas tube roll pin. LOL.

I'd love to go plinking with ya' Tony, out on the lease. We have some hogs, but those things are tough to find on our lease. We see some poo from time to time, and some turf rooted up, but so far no one has seen the piggies. We did hear some the last weekend of deer season though.

Jim
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minor update. Not much to report.

I sent my old HBAR off to have it reprofiled down to M4 specs, then cut to 14.5 and have a Kurt's long A2 permanently attached to get me back out to 16 plus. It's been 2 months now, and I hope to see it arrive in the next couple of weeks. Got the Gas tube in, and a extended charging handle.

I'm also looking at the Eotech 512 for my optics choice. It's not the upper end of these HWS but is considered a good basic model. I can find them in the $375-400 range, that puts it below the cost of a an Aimpoint or Tirjicon. Not sure when I'll get that so in the meantime, I'm opting for a decent BUIS, looking like a YHM model but not sure which one. I can find these for less than $80 shipped.

The Eotech line has a lot of different models some are designed for use with night vision, something I don't see me using... ever. No need to spend the extra bucks on a gadget I'd never used. IF the price was the same as the 512, I'd go with a one that did. Oh, well.

I'm also converting that XM177 clone into a .22 for plinking. I can recycle the bolt carrier group on the M4gery, and save me another $120.

Well, thats about it for now.

Jim
Stomper
Master

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel your pain... I'm still waiting for my Del-Ton M4 upper.... it's going on 5 months now, but they assure me it in the works... Crying or Very sad
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang Tony, 5 months and still no upper? I guess most of the AR industry is in the same boat.

FYI, Ruger announced yesterday they are finally entering the AR market.

Check out their new toy:

http://www.ruger.com/SR556/

Oh, and they price, a mere 2K Shocked
Stomper
Master

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

awww man.... you JUST HAD to make me aware of those... didn't you!! Laughing

Those are gorgeous... I'll bet teh number one reason they cost that much is because its a piston-operated version instead of the gas-operated system.... NICE!!!
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this love/hate relationship with Ruger. LOL. Love the 10/22, the MKIII, and the M77, but hate some of the anti-gun stances the old mgmt. had. 5 years ago, Ruger was saying they would NEVER make an evil assault weapon like the the ARs!

Well, that an interesting first offering from them. The Hogue grip, Troy Industries, front/rear sights and rail. Add the gas piston option and that adds up fast. I hoped they would have offered a sub $1000 gun, that would have translated into a huge sales hit for Ruger. But I'm afraid folks won't appreciate all the doo-dads that make this gun really expensive. I bet those sights alone are $250, the rail another $200, the grip is $40, and the cheapest gas piston system is about $300. That stuff adds up. The gun really needs to be in the $1200 range to be competitive with whats out there now.

The good news is Ruger brings to market the ability to mass produce these, and another big name, like S&W, and even Remington last year, to enter the AR market.
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Major setback...

The guy doing my barrel work was killed in a motorcycle accident:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/lake/orl-bk-bikefest-fatalities-04262009,0,3266578.story

Kurt Wala was his name. He was recommended by several really picky AR guys, and I feel really bad for his family. I know they have a lot going on right now, and the last thing on their minds is returning folks' stuff. So at this point I don't know if I will even get my barrel back or not.

Jim
Stomper
Master

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow... that's a bad way to go.

Jim, I hear you on not wanting to pile more stress onto the surviving family members, but at the risk of sounding like a putz... it's not your problem. I would wait a couple of weeks (or three) to give them some grieving time then make some delicate overtures regarding your barrel... those things are worth a pretty penny these days and you shouldn't have to eat it like that.... I know I would want my family to balance out my "loose ends" (of that nature) after my demise.
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Tony!

Yes, man, thats a good way to look at it. I posted on his old discussion board, apparently the widow is trying to sort through his stuff, and return what she can ID, back to their owners. Here's to keeping my fingers crossed.

I went to CMMG's web site pricing a replacement barrel. $320 plus shipping, and a 9-12 MONTH wait! Gunbroker has some for sale at about the same price by a less known maker, so if it came down to that, I'd just go that route.

I chose Kurt, because of his reputation, and his price. The only other place that could do the barrel work, wanted more than a new barrel cost to work on it!
Stomper
Master

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep us posted, Jim!! Wink
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I went home from lunch today to find the mailman had delivered my old barrel. Shocked

No work had been done to it. I was glad to see it, but I also am out $190 and still don't have an M4 barre to show for it. Sad

I went ahead an installed it on my flat-top upper, and assembled what I could [missing a gas tube roll pin]. I'll start saving my pennies, and maybe find what I'm looking for online... someday.

This kind of sucks, but at least I got my barrel back. $190 lesson learned, I suppose. I may just convert this to a .22 for the time being, until a better barrel comes along.

Jim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Weapons Locker All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: