www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Jimbo's M4A3 Carbine Build (WIP) almost there!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stomper
Master

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out $190? Why should you be out $190? Do you have a receipt for that exchange? It's great she sent you your barrel back, but you shouldn't be out your money as well... again, at the risk of sounding like a putz... I'm pretty sure a guy like that would have had MASSIVE life insurance on himself. I have 1.5 million on myself to take care of my family should the worst happen... and I'm just a nobody. I'll wager she won't be hurting for money once those policies are settled. Again, it's not your problem Jim... and like I said, make an overture about it! (Just my advice) Wink
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats good advice Tony, thanks!

According to what I've read online, there is no life insurance. Shocked

I will let her know the barrel was returned, and will ask about the $190. I doubt I will ever see it though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, no joy getting any of my funds back from the gunsmith's wife, but I did get my barrel back. I ended up finding a decent 'Wilson' M4 profile barrel on Gunbroker.com. It came on a complete M4A2 upper assembly, so after some barrel swapping, I've gotten close to what I was wanting in the first place. Instead of a 14.5 inch M4 barrel, I got a 16. Thats probably better in the long run anyways. And by getting that complete upper, I now have a whole upper assembly that would be rather easy to complete into a whole new rifle!

Time to start looking at getting some optics. Looks like it's the Eotech 512.

Shocked

Jim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Stomper
Master

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang... too bad about the money, Jim!

Be sure to post pics of your new build(s)... I'm still waiting for my upper from Del-Ton.... almost SIX MONTHS later now... it has gone by fast, though... sorta! Laughing
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Six months, DANG! I hope it gets there soon! Rumors have it, that certain options are really holding up a lot of the vendors from filling orders. Stuff like bolt carrier groups! Lower parts kits! And even chrome lined barrels! Short just one of these items, and a parts kit is back ordered. Some folks have been changing to non-chrome lined barrels, and getting their kits delivered faster, but not sure it's worth it if your not in a rush.

I will be interesting to see what the sales numbers are for AR15s this year. Shocked

BTW, I'll try to post some pics this weekend!
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops! Forgot about the pics.

Here they are:

It's hard to get a decent shot of this thing!

That a YM flip up BUIS and a Badger extend charging handle latch

Basic M4

Just waiting for an Eotech 552 or 512! Oh wait, I need money for that! Shocked

Down the road, I plan to replace the pistol grip with a MagPul version, and add a set of decent rails to replace the front handguards. And at some point I would like to replace the stock, but for now, I'm happy to finally have it back together. I hope I can test fire it over the long 4th of July weekend!

Thats all for now.

Jim
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I better run down what all is there:

Built on a stripped Bushmaster lower
M4 Bushmaster upper
Tapco generic M4 6 position stock
DMPS recoil pad
Ambi- selector
Badger extended charging handle latch
Yankee Hill Machine BUIS
Bushmaster front hand guards
Wilson M4A2-style barrel with A2 flash hider, 16 inch barrel, that is the light-weight contour version under the hand guards.
Stomper
Master

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SCHWEET!! Very Happy
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tony! Just waiting for some optics and a chance to sight it in at the range.

Almost there!

Jim
Stomper
Master

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jim,

So tell me... you installed the barrel into that upper, right? Was there any special trick to setting the head-spacing, does the barrel extension just "fit" into place? I've never torn one apart beyond the standard field-stripping, and installing a lower parts kit. I do know you have to index the barrel nut so the gas-tube can go into upper receiver & bolt-key and all... always torque "up" to the next slot if needed for the gas-tube. Did you have to use a go/no-go guage?

BTW- I got those 6.8SPC magazines in this weekend, they are NICE!! I'll get yours re-packaged and shipped off ASAP. Very Happy

Also... still waiting for my Del-Ton upper.... Confused
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Tony!

The research I've done indicates that from the factory, the barrel extension is what determines head spacing, and you don't want to get into messing with changing that as I understand it without head spacing. But swapping a barrel to a different upper is a really easy process.

If you are working with a pre-assembled rifle, or a factory barrel with the barrel extension, then all you need is an action block to hold the upper receiver steady, one of those barrel nut wrench and a torque wrench. And a pair of spring clip pliers IF you want to remove the delta ring.

Let's assume you are changing a barrel out. All you have to do is remove the handguards, and knock the gas tube roll pin out, then remove the gas tube. Put the upper in the action block, and then unscrew the barrel nut. Then pull the barrel out. Clean and lube the threads, and the barrel extension with some moly-lube, and slide the new barrel in. Tighten and use the torque wrench with your barrel nut tool, to set the proper torque. I do this 3 times, backing off each time about a 1/2 turn. Then index to the next hole in the barrel nut, align the weld washer and delta ring. Re assemble the gas tube and pin, put the hand guards back on, and your done.

Really pretty easy. Hard part is finding an affordable barrel. The uppers are not too hard to track down, but the other parts, sheesh!

Thanks Tony, for the magazines! PM me your paypal, and what I owe, and I'll get you the funds for the mags ASAP!

Jim
Stomper
Master

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info on the barrel assembly, I'll mull all that over and work it through in my mind before I do a serious attempt... when I FINALLY get some parts that is... LOL!!

BTW- Your 6.8SPC mags ship out tomorrow, and don't worry about the PP for them... happy (belated) B-day! Wink
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, did someone say 'Birthday'? Shocked Shocked Shocked

Thanks Tony, you are the greatest!

Jim

Oh, and if memory serves, someone else has had one recently? Be watching you mail!
Stomper
Master

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL... if its to remind me that I'm now 42 don't bother... I know I KNOW!! Laughing
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL. We're getting old. Right there with you, brother! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Weapons Locker All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: