www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Jimbo's M4A3 Carbine Build (WIP) almost there!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some pics of the M4gery pretty much done for now:

Thats a L3 EoTech 512 HWS. I got it from a vendor on ebay called TateDefense. Good reputation, and price. Fast shipping via UPS ground.

The sight allows you to view the target with both eyes open, and the reticle stays in focus. You don't look at the sight, you look at your target, and the sight is in focus. It also allows for co-witnessing with the BUIS. The reticle 'floats' inside the iron sight ring. Pretty cool stuff.

As it turns out, there's a lot of airsoft guys that like to use a cheap knock-off of these, and as a result there are lots of counterfit Eotech sights floating around. Check to be sure you know what you are getting when shopping. The best price I could find for a real 512 was about $360. Not a cheap sight, but less than others that are out there. And dang, is it cool. Can't wait to renew my range membership and go try it out. If you are on a real low budget, and you don't need military grade hardware, Bushnell's HOLOSight uses the same technology.

Future upgrades? Yep. Gonna want to upgrade the stock and grip to Magpuls, and swap out the stock trigger guard with a 'winter' model that comes with the Magpul grip. Also, looking at changing out the handguards with a rail. I'm leaning towards a Troy Industries, but dang are they expensive. I'm in no hurry and can't spend any more for a few months at least. What I have is a pretty close approximation of a M4 thats civilian legal in all respects, and is pretty basic for a tactical carbine. We'll see how it shoots.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Stomper
Master

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OOOOO-BABY!!! Shocked

I have been wanting an Eotec holo-sight FOREVER!! Jim, that's NIIIICE!!! Very Happy
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tony! I know I too have been saving my pennies for about a year to get this thing. There is a night vision version called a 552, that is about $100 more, but when am I EVER going to use night vision? LOL. I did not see the need to spend the extra bling on an option I will never use.

TateDefense has them in stock, ready to 'buy it now' option, and is fast to ship. They also have a good reputation on AR15.com. If you are thinking about ever getting one, DO IT! Very Happy

I can see a 3X or 4x magnifier in my future, once I upgrade to a rail. Oh, how things keep adding up. LOL.

Tony, did you ever use these things when you were in the Army? Me, I'm a Iron Sights kind of guy, but I really like this new technology.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Stomper
Master

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the gen 1 & 2 NVG's (Vietnam era gear) and iron sights... I've always been an iron sight kinda guy too! I don't think HWS were even invented for small arms when I was in... I'm gettin' old!! Laughing
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, ha. Well, I've never used any NV gear, so I have no idea how that stuff works. LOL.

BTW, here are a couple more pics:

Stomper
Master

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim, That is soooooo cool. Getting some new picatinny handguards, and maybe a verticle foregrip with a light &/or lazer would certainly put that thing over the top!

The NVG's and scopes were also called starlight scopes because they magnified the available light from the stars and the moon (usually available at night) by about 10,000+ times. I remember being out on long-range night-time patrols in Central America and all of us wearing the "binocular" type NVG's, the picture was rather grainy, and depth perception was lost a bit, and in TOTAL darkness like inside a darkened building and triple canopy jungle, you had to switch on the IR light to be able to see... the only problem with that was, anyone who had IR vision capabilities could use that as an aiming point to right between your eyes!! Shocked

The Starlight scopes we used were HUGE.. they had a rubber "cup" on the eye relief that you had to press into and a "shutter" would open up so you could look through it. I had one mounted on my M60 many a time on patrols, and while hunkered down in remote fighting positions.

I believe it was the AN/PVS-4 we used, here's a photo of what they looked like... HUGE, huh?

I believe the goggles we used were the AN/PVS-5...

We thought we were the SHIZ with that stuff back in the 80's... but the stuff that's issued now makes it look like "one if by land, two if by sea"... !! Laughing

Last edited by Stomper on Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tony!

Oh my, that scope is a whopper! Must have weighed a ton! I think those things still fetch over a grand! NV stuff and Thermal is so cost prohibitive, it's not even funny. Shocked

Neat stuff!

Jim
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I went ahead and did it. I ordered one of those $150 KAC RAS M4 rails from this site:

http://www.knightarmco.com/shop2/index.php?productID=312

And I wanted to give my review of the Knights Armament M4 RAS factory 'seconds'. They came in today. I was not sure what I was going to be getting. Sometimes, a company will call something a 'second' and what they are really saying is, not perfect but working order. I was halfway expecting messed up lettering, bent rails, scratched finish, or something to find fault with. I could not.

Now, for $159.99 shipped [UPS ground], I got the top and bottom M4 RAS with 3 of the long panels, a white cardboard box, and a 2-page B&W instruction sheet. Pretty basic setup.

Installation was very straight forward, but I had to be careful the rail did not scratch up my delta ring. Tight, tight fitting. No movement at all, that I can tell, and it allows my Eotech 512 to sit an inch or so farther forward than it can with regular M4 type front hand guards. A significant reason for me getting these rails in the first place.

Overall, if you want a KAC M4 RAS rail, and don't really need the forward grip, or a multitude of panels in different sizes, then I think you would be happy with these factory 'seconds'. I'm happy with these. And virtually no one would know they are seconds, just by looking at them, IMHO.

Who knows, on down the road, I can always get a grip and some different size panels.

I'll get some pics posted when I get a chance.

Jim
Stomper
Master

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No forward grip? How can you kill zombies w/o a forward grip? Laughing Wink

Looking forward to seeing some pics!!! Very Happy
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, well my wife says I need to 'get a grip' LOL, so now I have an excuse! Shocked Laughing Laughing Laughing
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Range Report... sort of.

Well the two Marines that are on the hunting lease with me took the M4gery out when they went to the range. Sadly I had to work and could not go. I still don't know how it shoots, but the Marines sighted it in [the iron sights] and then co-witnessed it with the Eotech, or maybe the other way around. At any rate they were punching quarter size hole patterns with it at 100 yards, so I guess it shoots fine.

One of them said it was a fun little rifle, and coming from him that means a lot! They did tease me a lot about getting it sighted in though.

I did take it deer hunting on the opening weekend, knowing that I would end up not seeing any deer, but maybe a coyote or ten. I saw nothing so no shooting, but I did put a Surefire 6P LED on a 1 inch weaver scope mount and put that on the Knights Armament RAS rail. Even without a fancy grip switch and all, it was really easy to point, hold and see. The light illuminated the target that can been viewed in the Eotech up to 50 or so yards. Time for some hog hunting!

I really need to get a range membership on a new range... Confused
Stomper
Master

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL... aww maaaaaaaaan... someone ELSE got to christen your M4gery before you?! That's gotta hurt!! Laughing I have yet to shoot mine either... but I have a few thousand rounds stored up to feed it... someday!! Wink Laughing

OFF TOPIC:

I recently picked up (another) Mossberg-500 that is exclusively configured for duck/goose hunting... I bagged a couple ducks my first time out a couple of weeks ago... going out again tomorrow... gotta get up @ 1:30am to be out there with the decoys all set up in time for first light/trigger time!! Very Happy
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoy duck hunting, but have not had a chance to go in years. I use to live on a lake with a 8 man duck blind a couple of hundred yards from my boat dock. Had the big old lab retriever and about 100 decoys. Was the last thing the guys in my family did together. We sold the lake house some 10 years ago. Crying or Very sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Weapons Locker All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: