www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
I love old cheezy sci-fi movies
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Atomic Sci-Fi Drive In
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darth Marmalade

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anybody mentioned Forbidden Planet?

It may not quite count as on-topic, though, because it's old, but I just can't bring myself to describe it as "cheesy". It's a sci-fi retelling of Shakespeare's "The Tempest", with state-of-the-art special effects and a groundbreaking electronic musical score that still hold up today -- and not one word of dialogue is wasted. Robby the Robot was so cool, he became an actor in his own right, appearing in countless movies and tv shows (many of which were very cheesy indeed).

Its influence can be seen in much sci-fi to come after it in many other subtle ways. For instance, who visits Professor Morbius? The ship's captain, first officer, and doctor. Much later, when Qui-Gon was cutting through the blast doors on the Trade Federation ship, I could only think of the Id monster melting the Krell door.

Ghod, I love Forbidden Planet.

Cheesy movies? How about Teenagers From Outer Space? That was fun.

"When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, Forbidden Planet is an all time classic. Star Wars Episode I even pays some really obvious hommage to that film, with the ID Creature's attack on the Lab Door, as the blueprint for the Qui Gon's light saber attack on the Trade Federation ship door.

The rotoscoping was great, matte paintings, and the ship design well done, and even some of the planet scapes are very well made.

Interesting the music score, the only thing really dated feeling IMHO, an all electric 'Thermon' sound.

Great concept, one I hope Hollywood never remakes. That classic should be left alone.

BTW, you can get the 50 Year Anniversary of FB in a collector's tin, due out this Fall.

http://www.monstersinmotion.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/1_62/products_id/9152
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
thebluecanary
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy the Kid vs. Dracula is on cable this weekend. Just so you know.

Blaxmyth wrote:
Great films!

One of my favourites - because they were soooo bad - were a double feature I saw at midnight in an old flea-pit theatre in the early 70's - "Jesse James versus Frankenstein" and "Billy The Kid versus Dracula". Seriously - those were their titles, or pretty close to it. Been looking for them recently in the DVD bins, but no luck yet. I think they might have been the US equivalent of the Hammer Horrors - I remember seeing a GI helmet used as a prop in the Frankenstein one - low budget at its best.

Actually, any of the old hammer Horrors were brilliant in their day, because that's all we had. This was before Star Wars changed films forever, after all.

Oh, another one I enjoyed - 'Barbarella'. Not sure that it'd be that great now, though.
Fredo
Master

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Barbarella" The only thing Hanoi Jane ever did right!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Atomic Sci-Fi Drive In All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: