www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Hey!! New guy here!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Former
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:58 pm    Post subject: Hey!! New guy here! Reply with quote

I am glad to be a part of this forum. You guys have a great site and very informitive people here.

I am wanting to build a proformer machine, but first want to see what really works. I have a 3/8'' plywood 30''x20'' board with a 2'' hole for my 6.5hp shop vac attached. I plan on putting screen over the hole and using .040 polystyrene stapled to a 2x4 square... I know it very basic, but I am unemployeed and looking to try something new and may come up with something..? Anyway, I am looking forward to grow with the community and share all I can about my new found hobby.
crashmann
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the platen!

One of the coolest things about vacuum forming is that you don't necessarily need a super duper setup. Something basic just like you described is perfect for starting out and experimenting. Many times I get too mired down in the details of optimizing and perfecting the process that I forget to have fun with it.

Good luck and I look forward to hearing about your progress!

Charlie
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the board! What sort of items are you wanting to form?

Jim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Former
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jegner wrote:
Welcome to the board! What sort of items are you wanting to form?

Jim

I think the question is...What dont I want to form Laughing

I have all kinds of ideas, but am lacking the knowlege of materials. I found a beef jerky container from Sam's that is the same clear plastic I need. I may have to talk it to the plastic shop and have them match the material up.

Ahh! just thought of it!! Like RC car body, but a tad thicker... Anyone know what that is?
Culvan
Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure how far I can help you with this, but most plastic containers have a recycling label. Usually there will be a number in a trangular chasing arrow symbol. That number indicates the type of plastic or the resin identification code.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plastic_Recycling_Code

You could cut it apart and measure the thickness, but the original would've been thicker before it was thermoformed.

Hope this helps, good luck.

Andy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: