www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Help making the 'Diagona" trash compactor monster
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Aliens & Monsters
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:34 am    Post subject: Help making the 'Diagona" trash compactor monster Reply with quote

The fan film needs help making the tentacle and eyeball for our swamp monster. If anyone know how to make a flexible, posable 10 foot long tentacle, on the cheap, this would help us out a bunch!

Also, the eyeball. I think I can make this with minum fuss, but if you know some tips or tricks, thanks in advance.

Jim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
AlanStormCrew

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is this all about? Smile
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fan film has a scene where our trooper are attacked by one of those monsters first seen in the trash compactor aboard the Death Star.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
thebluecanary
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How fexable are we looking for? Classic Hollywood way is a long 'rubber' glove that someone sticks there arm in, and 'grabs' the actor. The head could be done, and I'm talking skeleton, like a kids toy. You remember those toys of animals or people, and you push on the bottom, and they go all bendy? Well, take that idea, using PVC, and rope. Sections of differnet lengths, and differnt tention areas, you add and remove tention to make it move. All your real cost is going into the rubber skin. Or hell. Paint it all blue, make it thick with cheep foam or newspaper, and CGI the damn thing.
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good tips! Thanks! The CGI option is off tha table for now. We seem to have our CGI overloaded with the shot up Star Destroyer and the X-wing shoot down, and the Imperial shuttle.

Making the rubber 'glove' is going to be the hard part. I've never tried to make a flexible armature like this before. AND have it look like the one we saw in Star Wars.
thebluecanary
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not that hard. You will want to do something like this Snake You just need to figure out control, without getting too large. Oh it will be lots of fun. I used to be the special effects guy for a small no budget film group called CRAB Productions. We did like 3 shorts. (30-45 minutes) one was a Star Trek/Star Wars spoof. It was great, I blew up the Falcon at the end of it.
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gret idea! The script calls for the tentacle to grab a trooper and pull him into the water. The grab will be fast, not much dwelling on it. The internal armature is what has me confused. Then, how do I sculpt the actual skin? I can see this thing being 10-15 feet long, and as big around as a basketball at the base end.

The idea of a glove is cool. I have been playing with the idea of styrafoam balls, and a wire spine, wrapped in pantyhose, dipped in latex.

hmmmm.
thebluecanary
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chicken Wire and Pantyhose. Get that Hex-like chicken wire, make it into the shape you need, then wrap it, and dip it. A good idea is to craft it with a very stiff backbone, once the laytex is dried, and set, cut it off, and mount that to your flexable skeleton. Add detailing to mask the cut lines, and bobs your uncle.

Rent the movie 'Creature' or '1000 Leages Under the See' Look at any old Giant Squid movie. I bet you can find some really neet stuff there.

Oh I just had a thought, what about using sections of thick hose. Just thinking outloud I guess. (Saw it on a review of a bad horror movie. I love my horror movies. )

And if all esle fails, take a look at this: http://www3.telus.net/public/dsteel/tutorials/tentacles/tentacles01.html
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips.

Right now, it looks like a PVC pipe, and electical wire will give the tentacle it's shape, and allow it to hold a pose. We plan to make at least 2. One full size, that basically moves up and down, then other is about as long as your arm, and will be used for close up shots. [grabbing, etc] This one will basically be the glove. The other one will have 2 positions, firm, and limp. LOL.

There needs to be enough flex to it so that it can wrap around an actor's chest, and allow him to disappear in the water.

The next step will be to make the skin and soft tissue. My guess will be to take those styrafoam balls, slip them over the PVC/wire armature, and add some viens, warts and suckers on it, pull panty hose over that, and then dip, paint or otherwise cover this with latex. Then slip the styrafoam balls off the PVC/wire armature, and replace that with a soft foam.

Otherwise I'm looking at making some sort of paster negative mold, laying up latex in that, and then stitching the latex skin to the foam wrapped PVC armature.
thebluecanary
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good. Can't wait to see it. =)
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

His is a conecpt drawing of the armature:

!AliG

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are right guys! Smile
thebluecanary
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not too bad. And if I hadn't metioned it before, go rend (if you do not own) Evil Dead and Evil Dead 2. Lissen to Bruice Campbel's commintary. He goes into crazy detail on how they did each effect. You might find some of it helpful.
drcrash
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If all you need is a quick not-dwelled-on tentacle grab, could you just use the old trick of filming it backwards with a limp tentacle?

(That is, take a limp tentacle, wrap it around the actor, and pull it off, so that it unwraps and slides away. When you reverse it, the tentacle appears to slither forward and wrap itself around the actor.)

Don't know if it will do the trick, but it's much easier than building a good cable-controlled tentacle.
thebluecanary
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drcrash wrote:
If all you need is a quick not-dwelled-on tentacle grab, could you just use the old trick of filming it backwards with a limp tentacle?

(That is, take a limp tentacle, wrap it around the actor, and pull it off, so that it unwraps and slides away. When you reverse it, the tentacle appears to slither forward and wrap itself around the actor.)

Don't know if it will do the trick, but it's much easier than building a good cable-controlled tentacle.

I think thats a great trick. Great way to have the monster 'run away' when something bigger comes along. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Aliens & Monsters All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: