www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Tip of the Week: 12-Jan-05

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Tip of the Month
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject: Tip of the Week: 12-Jan-05 Reply with quote

Painting tip:

Use a good quality paint. This may sound simple, but if you are going to spend a lot of time working on a prop, use a good brand of paint to finish it with!

I like Krylon. It's easy to find, not too expensive, dries fast, and covers evenly.

Always use a primer coat or two. I use the Krylon sandable gray primer. It also comes in a rust red, white and black. Gray is pretty neutral, so thats what I use the most.

With all spray paints, be sure to shake the can; A LOT! I try to shake the can for at least a couple of minutes.

Use an even strokes, and apply light dusting. Don't try to put all the paint in the can on, at one spraying. Let this dusting coat dry a few minutes, and do it again. Sometimes, it will take 5 or 6 coats to get a good finish.

It's easier to add paint than it is to take it away.

Always wear a dust mask and use outdoors! Nothing like overspray to settle on your cloths or furniture!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Stomper
Master

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good tips on painting! I discovered that by holding the can back a fair bit so that you are "dusting" it, that you can build up a texture that reminds me of the "parkerized" finish that were on the weapons I packed when I was in the Army.

The only thing I do different from your tips is I paint inside with all the windows and doors closed, because I save a BUNDLE not having to buy beer for a buzz.... Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Tip of the Month All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: