www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Durable Mold Material Questions
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Transformer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:12 pm    Post subject: MDF Reply with quote

Let me put in a good word for MDF. We use it frequently for molds. All molds are sealed using S1 Sealer from System 3. This is a 2 part epoxy containing solvents. A minimum of 3 coats are needed as this stuff really sinks in. It will give you a reasonable number of pulls. We also frequently use particle board, petrified with S1 Sealer, and have molds that have yeilded several hundred pulls of 1/8 ABS with no deterioration. We usually wipe the molds down with a high temperature wax to aid release.

Transformer
jdougn
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: MDF Reply with quote

Transformer wrote:
Let me put in a good word for MDF. We use it frequently for molds. All molds are sealed using S1 Sealer from System 3. This is a 2 part epoxy containing solvents. A minimum of 3 coats are needed as this stuff really sinks in. It will give you a reasonable number of pulls. We also frequently use particle board, petrified with S1 Sealer, and have molds that have yeilded several hundred pulls of 1/8 ABS with no deterioration. We usually wipe the molds down with a high temperature wax to aid release.

Transformer

What is your source for the S1 Sealer? It sounds very interesting however, it does not appear on the System Three website. We've used high temp mold release wax on the MDF molds but alone it did not fully protect. Thanks for the suggestions and let me know where you get S1 Sealer.
Thanks, DougN
jdougn
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:04 pm    Post subject: Response from System 3 about S1 Sealer Reply with quote

Appears S1 Sealer is not available in the USA. Any other suggestions? I noticed they do have a Clear Coat would it be the same or similar?
DougN

Quote:
RE: Support Request Form‏
Sent: Tue 7/14/09 11:44 AM
To: Doug Napier

S-1 Sealer is a solvent containing epoxy resin solution that came to us whenwe purchased Industrial Formulators of Canada ten years ago. We haveretained the product but it is currently only available in Canada. We wouldonly make this available in the US for continuing commercial applicationsrepresenting significant volume. We have no information or data on theapplication you mention below. System Three Resins, Inc.Technical Support253/333-8118www.systemthree.com

Transformer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:46 pm    Post subject: S1 Sealer Reply with quote

For S1 Sealer you may have to talk to a System 3 distributor or directly to System 3. We are a System 3 distributor and have still been able to get it. The product was developed by Industrial Formulators, a Canadian company taken over by System 3, and a lot of the Industrial Formulators products are being purged.

To give you a little more info, in the hope that someone makes a similar product, it is a 2 part epoxy that contains a lot of solvents. It must be thouroughley mixed and then left to sit for half an hour. The mixed epoxy, if not all used can be put in a sealed container (seal does not have to be that great), and will keep in a fridge for many days. It is great stuff. If they have stopped making it we will really miss it.

When used on MDF the first coat totally disapears, the second coat will form a bit of a surface coat in patches, and most of the third coat will remain on the surface.

Hope this helps.

Transformer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: