www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Progress shot of my two-stage vac table

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blaxmyth

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:03 pm    Post subject: Progress shot of my two-stage vac table Reply with quote

Hi all, just a progress post to make sure I don’t get wiped out in the big server purge! Very Happy

Here is my new vactable, still in progress, with the table and pipes to be added.

Basically, the vacuum pump will exhaust the whole storage cylinder and the line leading up to the table, which will be closed with a quarter-turn quick release ball valve. There will be another valve in the line leading to the storage tank. This is because the pump will exhaust a small volume nearly to 28 inches/Mercury, but will only exhaust the larger volume of the storage cylinder (90 litres) to about 21 inches.

So the plan is that as soon as the frame holding the plastic hits the table, I crack open the valve to pull the plastic over the mould. The pump is still running – has to be, otherwise the vacuum makes it run backwards. As soon as the top valve is opened, then I will close the bottom valve to isolate the storage tank, allowing the pump to evacuate the smaller volume – a litre or two in the pipe leading from the pump to the table. I hope that this will allow the pump to suck up a few more inches of mercury in the second or two while the plastic is still malleable. Hopefully this will allow me to have some success with ABS.

And yes, I do feel guilty about not having made any progress lately, especially when I see what you guys have been up to! Smile

Anyway, I did get round to base coating my blasters – next step is weathering and then sealing with some semi-gloss clear.

Oh, one other thing, I spent a day in the shed and made this jig which lets me rout a 9mm slot into some 32mm PVC pipe – handy for cutting the slots for the barrel shroud on the MG15. Works well.

Anyway, thanks for all of the inspiration I get from seeing what everyone else has been up to. All the best for the New Year. Cheers, Phil
Stomper
Master

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Phil,

Good onya mate! That is one huge looking vac-pump setup! I love the jig you made for slotting the barrel sroud as well! I'm inclined to pinch that idea for my shop as well, LOL. Nice clean pieces you be making there!

WELL DONE!!
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW!

Phil, my source for inspiration and encouragement, and the guy I 'blame' for getting into vacuum forming. Without Phil, I would have never tried it!

Thanks for sharing, and I can't wait to see you next pull!

Jim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Stomper
Master

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL... and I in turn blame Jim for getting me inspired and started on this SW props odyssey... so I guess I can blame Phil too? Laughing

How about we get together and make a HUGE Hamster Wheel next for the lot of us to use? Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: